Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 09:21 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
Marlborough is a town for the poor
Last I checked, Natick still has the leftover poor too. They’ll die or flee soon and signs are pointing to unbearable tech bro parasites winning the day, even if winning simply means being able to be snobby about attaining an old ranch that a janitor could aspire to 15 years ago. Except speaking of the janitor, and tangentially relevant to the topic, he was probably able to cash out already and move to a nice house in small town NH and his job skills are transferable to a place with garbage internet and he is likely a happier human being than the suckers overpaying to live in his old digs in washed-up Massahole suburbia, so sometimes it all evens out.

Last edited by FCMA; 06-03-2019 at 10:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 05:18 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Don't be ridiculous. Marlborough isn't a fancy town, but there's noting wrong with it, and upscale towns in this area are among the most expensive in the country.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:30 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Don't be ridiculous. Marlborough isn't a fancy town, but there's noting wrong with it, and upscale towns in this area are among the most expensive in the country.
People don't realize that even in the "poor" towns you can't be a homeowner without deep pockets unless you bought your house 30+ years ago.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:48 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic012 View Post
Thank you! Does this area also have any dog-friendly walking trails? I think that would be nice to be able to take our husky out on walks. I'm sure he would like a more of a nature trail type of scene than his cookie-cutter neighborhood walks back home
The whole region is laced with dog-friendly walking trails. A bike path would be only one of many options and not as good as many for walking a dog since you'll have bikes whizzing past. Callahan State park is several hundred wooded acres in Marlborough and Framingham. There are various reservoirs with trails through the woods around them including Sudbury and Wachusett Reservoirs. The wildlife refuges don't want your dog and there are quite a few of those in the region too but so many other options. Every town has its parks and conservation lands too.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:04 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The problem is that it's currently a terrible value prop when neighboring towns have superior school systems (or rankings, to be fair to the teachers), similar job access, better housing stock, and near equal COL.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:20 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If you're looking at Google Maps street view of Massachusetts, do you see the two semi-circles around Boston? The one closer to Boston is 128/95. Inside of that circle is (for the most part) the densest, most expensive residential areas in Massachusetts...
Charolastra's post is a great geography primer.

State Route 128 is the circumferential highway around Boston-- A loop highway or what they call in DC the "Beltway." After 1972 when other planned expressways were cancelled, the highway department routed two different interstates over portions of 128. Now most of the western/northwestern portion is also Interstate 95 and another portion south of Boston is labeled I-93. Rt 128 had lots of associations for people who've lived with it all these years and keep referring to it by the original route number.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:00 AM

3,215 posts, read 2,121,919 times
Quote:
people who obsess over labels and status will die poor no matter how much money they have accumulated.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:26 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Nothing is so rural in eastern Mass that you are driving more than 10-15 minutes to a grocery store or CVS - and there's even a 24 hour grocery store in Marlborough! I may live in Marlborough, but I do most of my grocery shopping in Sudbury (Whole Foods) or Hudson (Market Basket). The nicer mall is in Natick which isn't too far - the Marlborough Mall is super depressing with a lot of stores closing up, although that leaves me hopeful that maybe Trader Joe's or Wegman's will set up shop. That's my biggest complaint - the closest Trader Joe's are a bit far for my liking (about 25 minutes give or take traffic) and Wegman's is slowly expanding throughout the Boston area so the closest one is in Northborough. Not far, just not convenient.
There's a Trader Joe's near the Whole Foods in Shrewsbury. From Solomon Ponds to TJ is 15 minutes

Speaking of malls, the one in Marlborough is amazing compared to Greendale Mall in Worcester!

Old 06-04-2019, 08:11 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic012 View Post
Hi. Could you do me a favor and expain inside/outside 128 means? I've seen it said a couple times in the thread but when I pulled up a MA map real quick, I didn't see a major highway called 128 that was my guess that that phrase meant.
Rt 128 overlays Rt 95 which is why you don't see it on most maps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_Route_128

If you zoom out on a Map of eastern MA, you'll see I-95 and I-495 form a pair of rings around Boston. You'll see a lot of references to being inside/outside 128/95 or 495. It's just a way of describing distance from downtown Boston.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:36 AM

622 posts, read 563,879 times
Natick, Burlington, Billerica, etc were formerly towns for the poor working class but are now solidly middle class towns. They aren't wealthy towns they are merely solidly middle class towns.

Marlborough is still a town for the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts