Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 02:07 PM

8 posts, read 6,293 times

Advertisements

Great contributions everyone! My housing search has gone from dread to mild excitement. It feels like we should be able to find a town/city and accommodations we like.

Chicagoliz you are sort of correct. The problem with choosing the “city” is cost for what we want and the commute. Getting back to the “city” from the western burbs is a nightmare....1 hour in traffic. Additionally, we’ve lived in a major city before and as an older couple (not too old but not young) we’ve realized that most of the time we are not going to need ALL that Boston/Cambridge offers ALL the time.

Bosyuppie, the idea of economic diversity sounds great. We like fine dining but sometimes we just want a burger or food from that Indian “joint” without feeling like we need to make a reservation or need to be dressed up.

I really did like the vibe of Davis. We will need to explore it and the other areas to figure out what we want.

Thanks again. Keep the ideas coming.

What is the thinking about Somerville? I hear that may be an area to consider. I spent a few hours in Assembly Square (which I don’t think is what people meant when they mentioned Somerville). It felt a little too commercial and seems like a place where I might be annoyed as a resident given all the visitors looking to eat/shop.

Last edited by Theswami; 06-29-2019 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 02:39 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theswami View Post

Housing and traffic are a major problem for the area. I cannot believe that we are moving here along with so many others.
^^Just had to laugh at this one. So you fell "victim" to a stellar economic opportunity, I take it?

Old 06-29-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theswami View Post
Great contributions everyone! My housing search has gone from dread to mild excitement. It feels like we should be able to find a town/city and accommodations we like.

Chicagoliz you are sort of correct. The problem with choosing the “city” is cost for what we want and the commute. Getting back to the “city” from the western burbs is a nightmare....1 hour in traffic. Additionally, we’ve lived in a major city before and as an older couple (not too old but not young) we’ve realized that most of the time we are not going to need ALL that Boston/Cambridge offers ALL the time.

Bosyuppie, the idea of economic diversity sounds great. We like fine dining but sometimes we just want a burger or food from that Indian “joint” without feeling like we need to make a reservation or need to be dressed up.

I really did like the vibe of Davis. We will need to explore it and the other areas to figure out what we want.

Thanks again. Keep the ideas coming.

What is the thinking about Somerville? I hear that may be an area to consider. I spent a few hours in Assembly Square (which I don’t think is what people meant when they mentioned Somerville). It felt a little too commercial and seems like a place where I might be annoyed as a resident given all the visitors looking to eat/shop.
This may be a tad far away for you, but check out this community in Burlington:

https://3rdaveburlington.com/

The drive to Lexington is very easy, and there is a MBTA 351 bus to Alewife. The complex itself is fairly dynamic...getting better all the time in terms of dining options, and is also close to The District in Burlington where we happen to go a lot.

And if you're into authentic Indian restaurants that are not fancy, check out this one in Burlington:

Ritu Ki Rasoi

Old 06-29-2019, 10:10 PM

604 posts, read 562,345 times
Somerville is awesome, there is pretty much something to do in every neighborhood. It’s not cheap though.

Assembly is brand new, there’s stuff to do and it’s on the Orange line. It’s expensive. There’s nothing wrong with it if you’re into that. But it’s not “real somerville”. Then again there ar role timers who bemoan the gentrification of the rest of Somerville as well I’m sure.

Note that car ownership in Somerville is a real headache. Also, getting to Lexington would suck from most parts.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:13 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
^^ I concur. Assembly Row is a live/work/play development that can be found in hundreds of cities in the US. It's nice but it is pretty generic in terms of housing, shopping, and dining. I'd take Davis or Union Square for a more authentic feel. As someone that grew up there when it was called Slummerville, it's changed dramatically - Virgie's and the Union Square Town House were the only games in town. That's not the case anymore.

As a Burlington resident, I go to 3rd Ave. and The District to dine. But both are only two blocks of things to do. I think I would get a little bored of it after a while if I expected either to be my primary entertainment centers.

One can go another 4 miles up 128 to the now under development "Woburn Village" where the Woburn Mall is going away to be replaced by shopping, dining, living, and entertainment. Or wait a couple of years for "Montvale Commons" where a similar idea is planned for the old General Foods gelatin plant.

Old 06-30-2019, 03:17 PM

604 posts, read 562,345 times
I have to wonder how many of these “legacy places” the region, or any region can really support, especially with the decline of retail.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
I have to wonder how many of these “legacy places” the region, or any region can really support, especially with the decline of retail.
I wonder that sometimes. But I think the "secret sauce" is to create living spaces that, at least on paper, don't require you to have a car. So access to public transportation is a must, as is having necessities of life (grocery, pharmacy, hair salon, etc.) within walking distance. I think it's very telling that, in the Woburn Mall reconstruction, that Market Basket is the only survivor that's not going anywhere!

Old 06-30-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I wonder that sometimes. But I think the "secret sauce" is to create living spaces that, at least on paper, don't require you to have a car. So access to public transportation is a must, as is having necessities of life (grocery, pharmacy, hair salon, etc.) within walking distance. I think it's very telling that, in the Woburn Mall reconstruction, that Market Basket is the only survivor that's not going anywhere!
TJ Maxx, Home Goods, and DSW will be back along with Home Sense which is another TJX company and the stores up front (Floyd's Barbershop, Qdoba, and the the liquor store) will stay in place. I hope that there will be enough demand to reopen Mishawum Station that is a 5-10 minute walk from this new development.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
The thing about 3rd Ave. is that the retail component is pretty specialized without the ubiquitous chains. You can outfit your bathroom and buy furniture, get some loose tea, get your lady or gentlemen bits waxed and your hair coiffed, go to the dentist or yoga studio, fill your pantry, or dine to your heart's content.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:26 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,728,214 times
Quote:
I think the key is having the living spaces (or even hotels, as some do) right there. There will always be a demand for bricks and mortar shopping. There will always be times when you need something immediately, or you want to touch and hold the product. And the online convenience is less if you are able to just walk over to the store from your home and buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts