Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2020, 06:26 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

People move to Boston moreso for jobs than school and lifestyle of course. Wealthy people who move here for high paying jobs have access to tops school anywhere they go or they opt into private schools. Lifestyle sis okay-certainly not a drawback but I dont think its a huge draw for families.

Boston really only feels like a big city if you're from someplace very small. This city often still feels like a collection of towns and is often governed as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 06:26 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
So... people fully assimilated into the American WASP lifestyle whose ancestors may or may not be at some point many years ago from Western/Northern Europe(because face it people don't actually know half the time, they just go with the immigration story like a game of telephone)?

And a maybe a smattering of mediterranean descended folks, if we believe you?

It's your own quasi slice of northwestern europe, and that's supposed to pass as diverse because there's cats AND dogs? stop.

That's not representative of Mass,and t's not representative of this country- let alone the world. Whats worse is youre trying to make it sound like you're just soaking up all the authentic Finnish culture when you're not-you're fully immersed in vaguely white American culture because your sort of a Xenophobe and you like it that way.
Sort of? I’m certain a large percentage of the anti-marijuana rhetoric is rooted in a 1930s era notion that pot is the seedy domain of dangerous “brown people”.

But no, no calling the kettle black even when the behavior is OVERT.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:33 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Sort of? I’m certain a large percentage of the anti-marijuana rhetoric is rooted in a 1930s era notion that pot is the seedy domain of dangerous “brown people”.

But no, no calling the kettle black even when the behavior is OVERT.

Gotta keep the white women safe scare tactics of that era.

Quote:
So... people fully assimilated into the American WASP lifestyle whose ancestors may or may not be at some point many years ago from Western/Northern Europe(because face it people don't actually know half the time, they just go with the immigration story like a game of telephone)?

It's your own quasi slice of northwestern europe, and that's supposed to pass as diverse because there's cats AND dogs? stop.

That's not representative of Mass,and t's not representative of this country- let alone the world. Whats worse is youre trying to make it sound like you're just soaking up all the authentic Finnish culture when you're not-you're fully immersed in vaguely white American culture because your sort of a Xenophobe and you like it that way.
Hey, people are ok if they assimilate into MY culture and live how I want them to and speak MY language and don't do anything I don't like.

That's diversity!

Old 01-15-2020, 07:34 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I still don’t think people’s top reason for moving to Boston is for the diversity. It might help if you are in your 20s and are from a boring midwestern state that you’re dying to get out of but I’m sure that 150k engineering gig might help as well

If they want diversity there are plenty of places other than Boston they could move to.

I do hear rich liberal whites say they want diversity so they move to a place like newton. Makes me laugh.

Last edited by Bridge781; 01-15-2020 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: /

Old 01-15-2020, 07:35 AM

It’s also funny that people say folks move to Boston for the diversity but then I also see people on here say what a racist city Boston is. A racist diverse city. Sounds about right.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:41 AM

My former boss once told me that she likes living in North Andover because she feels it’s diverse since it’s next to Lawrence. I had to hold back my reaction. Why not just move to Lawrence then?

So yes I guess you’re right in that some people take comfort knowing they aren’t always surrounded by just white people and that they are ‘exposing’ their kids to a certain level of diversity.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I still don’t think people’s top reason for moving to Boston is for the diversity. It might help if you are in your 20s and are from a boring midwestern state that you’re dying to get out of but I’m sure that 150k engineering gig might help as well

If they want diversity there are plenty of places other than Boston they could move to.

I do hear rich liberal whites say they want diversity so they move to a place like newton. Makes me laugh.
Quote:
It’s also funny that people say folks move to Boston for the diversity but then I also see people on here say what a racist city Boston is. A racist diverse city. Sounds about right.

Now we are moving the goal posts again. That wasn't the point you made earlier. You said:

Quote:
It’s desirable because there are jobs. Period. No one gets up and says wow I really want to move to an overcrowded city that is rich with diversity. They move here for a job.

And you were incorrect on this. People do want to move to dense cities rich with diversity. You don't, but many people do.

No one said they would pick Boston if that was their top criteria though. Nice strawman though.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:52 AM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
Quote:
My former boss once told me that she likes living in North Andover because she feels it’s diverse since it’s next to Lawrence. I had to hold back my reaction. Why not just move to Lawrence then?

So yes I guess you’re right in that some people take comfort knowing they aren’t always surrounded by just white people and that they are ‘exposing’ their kids to a certain level of diversity.
Limousine liberals want to move to a neighborhood which is "just" diverse enough to not be called a racist...

Old 01-15-2020, 07:56 AM

636 posts, read 706,097 times
Quote:

White is a multicultural group of people and many different cultures.
Perhaps the reversal of "Xenophobe" is jealousy of other cultures.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:00 AM

3,219 posts, read 2,121,919 times
Quote:
Who is "you're"? Who ever said that? Yes some people do... Example: you! some people don't....Example: Everyone telling you you are wrong.
I like eating at the Dominican restaurant at the end of my street. I like my Italian barber. I like my Nigerian neighbors. I like My Irish Neighbor. I like my generic american neighbors. Its a wonderful world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts