Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 03:39 PM

26,660 posts, read 28,727,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattawampusfiddlesticks View Post
Oh wow by the bag!?!?!?
Don't know what you mean but if it's the trash, we put it into rolling bins and it goes out by the curb. I've lived in a few towns that charged you every month though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 03:53 PM

47 posts, read 20,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Don't know what you mean but if it's the trash, we put it into rolling bins and it goes out by the curb. I've lived in a few towns that charged you every month though.
Sorry about that. I’m at work and boss was here I was trying not to get caught. Someone said that some places up there charge you by the bag of trash but not a flat rate for the month.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:14 PM

18,736 posts, read 33,430,828 times
Quote:
... Someone said that some places up there charge you by the bag of trash but not a flat rate for the month.
In my former town, there was no town pick-up- you had to take your stuff to the dump/transfer station. You bought special bags for about $1.50 each (big bags) for trash and recycled everything there that could be recycled. Had to pay an annual rate for a dump sticker that was way too expensive before the pay-per-bag plan came in.

If the town doesn't have pick-up, you can hire a service to do the same.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:54 PM

4,696 posts, read 3,482,203 times
Quote:
Oh wow by the bag!?!?!?
In Worcester yes. It's something like 75 cents for a small bag and a dollar fifty for a big bag. My family of 2 kids, 2 adults, 3 cats and 2 dogs use one large bag a week. Recycling is free.

When I lived in Lowell it was one large wheeled bin and recycling once a week included in your taxes. In Townsend two barrels and recycling once a week included in your taxes. Basically every city or town does it different.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:18 PM

47 posts, read 20,896 times
That’s really interesting!!!

Old 10-25-2019, 05:46 PM

18,736 posts, read 33,430,828 times
In formerly rural areas, this is more likely (the bag thing, a town dump/transfer station) than in more developed towns or cities.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:49 PM

12,530 posts, read 9,615,294 times
I lived in a town in western NY where the trash was picked up by a service, but they'd only pick it up if it was in special bags that you bought downtown (or for larger items, had a special sticker on it). What this does is that people are charged according to how much they actually throw out. Whether that's done in the interest of fairness or done to give people a reason to reduce landfill waste, I actually didn't think it was a bad idea.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:26 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,289,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
There are lots of variables.

Gas v. oil v. electric heat. Age and insulation of the building.
Electric heat in an old house, $500/mo in the winter wouldn't be out of the picture.
Gas heat in a remodeled house, less than $100/mo in the winter. Then depends on AC for the summer.
We do have some of the highest electrical rates in the country.

Water - MANY properties, even in semi-urban towns, have wells and septic.

Trash? Worcester for example charges by the bag, not a flat rate!
My trash and recycling pickup in Northampton is around $30 per month, for a weekly pickup for trash company-provided bins. So close to the OP's current bill anyway.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:29 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,289,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
In my former town, there was no town pick-up- you had to take your stuff to the dump/transfer station. You bought special bags for about $1.50 each (big bags) for trash and recycled everything there that could be recycled. Had to pay an annual rate for a dump sticker that was way too expensive before the pay-per-bag plan came in.

If the town doesn't have pick-up, you can hire a service to do the same.
Most towns around here have the transfer station option. You buy a yearly sticker for like $15 or so. Or you can have private company pickup, which is what I do.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:36 PM

325 posts, read 926,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
My trash and recycling pickup in Northampton is around $30 per month, for a weekly pickup for trash company-provided bins. So close to the OP's current bill anyway.
In Northampton, you can buy a transfer station sticker for $25/year and drop off your own trash/recycling (need to buy official bags) - a lot cheaper, and kind of a social activity! In Westfield, they have Town curbside pickup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts