Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 09:19 AM

5,015 posts, read 3,909,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
That's a bit of an over statement. One can still buy a serviceable home in Bedford or Burlington for 600K, assuming they can tolerate a split or raised ranch. A 2,500 sqft colonial? No.
SFH in Bedford for <$600 is either a slab ranch or on a main road, neither of which I'd recommend for a family. Kit houses sell for >$500k in Bedford. Burlington is within reach, maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 09:26 AM

137 posts, read 149,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcouch59 View Post
We are moving to MA within the next year and are having trouble narrowing down / finding a town we want to live in, so who better to help us than internet strangers?

My husbands job will be in Woburn and mine will be in Waltham. We have 3 kids - a first grader, a 5 year old who will start K next Fall, and a 2 year old. I am originally from Bristol Country so am a tad familiar with MA towns but not really in the area we are working.

Our budget is 600k - and I know that is tiny compared to home costs in these areas, I have a feeling we are looking at long commutes to get what we want. We are fine with 45 minutes or so, possibly an hour if the town is worth it. We'd like 3 bedrooms and 1.5-2 baths - we currently are in 1600 square feet and would like something a little bigger but don't need much more than that.

I'd love to live somewhere that isn't super congested and traffic-y, that has a community feel if not an actual downtown / town common type of area. I don't want to be in a keeping-up-with-the-Jones type of town, I'd prefer diversity both racially and socioeconomically.

For schools, I've heard some nearby towns are almost TOO hard core / pressure cooker type environments. I don't want that at all for my kids but I WOULD like schools that can meet their needs whether that may be working ahead of or behind their peers.

Thanks!
I am not sure if you want more of an urban or suburban feel from your original post. Not the best commute but I would suggest Stow. You can find a house in your budget but there will be a commute. I see someone else suggested Maynard, I think it depends what type of feel you want in a town (Maynard has a downtown and Stow does not).

(I live in Stow and really like the town!)

Old 11-21-2019, 09:28 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
SFH in Bedford for <$600 is either a slab ranch or on a main road, neither of which I'd recommend for a family. Kit houses sell for >$500k in Bedford. Burlington is within reach, maybe.
The slab ranches, which are glorified sheds IMO, are <500K. In the 600-625K range one can still buy a ranch with a traditional basement or cape. Next spring? Maybe not. I do agree the pickin's are meager.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:30 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huff100 View Post
I am not sure if you want more of an urban or suburban feel from your original post. Not the best commute but I would suggest Stow. You can find a house in your budget but there will be a commute. I see someone else suggested Maynard, I think it depends what type of feel you want in a town (Maynard has a downtown and Stow does not).

(I live in Stow and really like the town!)
Or Acton, which is a shorter commute. Prices remain quite depressed in town, despite excellent schools and rail access, though the high tax rate must be factored in.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:31 AM

137 posts, read 149,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Or Acton, which is a shorter commute. Prices remain quite depressed in town, despite excellent schools and rail access, though the high tax rate must be factored in.
Acton would work as well. I know people will look at both Acton and Stow and depending on the town feel make a decision (and Acton has a commuter rail!) plus the reputation is great for schools in both towns.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:50 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Detached condo. New construction in Bedford:

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Bedford/34...home/169401138

Old 11-21-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Detached condo. New construction in Bedford:

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Bedford/34...home/169401138
That is actually in a good location, close to the main drag.

Old 11-21-2019, 02:28 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Some people need to get over having a hangup with "slab houses". Nearly all homes in the warmer states, including multi million dollar ones, are slab homes. Few, if any, have the traditional New England "cellar". The deciding factor is due to the winter frost line. The frost line is how far down does the ground freeze. Which in New England is 4ft I believe. Thus water pipes and sewage pipes have to be below this or they will freeze and break so this necessitates "cellars" to bring the lines in. There is no frost line in most of southern US. My water pipe from the street in about one foot underground.

When in a flood plain in the south, the slab will be raised some 2-4 feet the prevent flooding. My last home was in a flood plain (which never flooded) so it was was a raised slab thus 2-3 steps required to get into it. My present home is not in a flood plain so only about a 6in threshold.

I have had both including houses with a crawl spaces. One type construction is as good as the other.

Old 11-21-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Some people need to get over having a hangup with "slab houses". Nearly all homes in the warmer states, including multi million dollar ones, are slab homes. Few, if any, have the traditional New England "cellar". The deciding factor is due to the winter frost line. The frost line is how far down does the ground freeze. Which in New England is 4ft I believe. Thus water pipes and sewage pipes have to be below this or they will freeze and break so this necessitates "cellars" to bring the lines in. There is no frost line in most of southern US. My water pipe from the street in about one foot underground.

When in a flood plain in the south, the slab will be raised some 2-4 feet the prevent flooding. My last home was in a flood plain (which never flooded) so it was was a raised slab thus 2-3 steps required to get into it. My present home is not in a flood plain so only about a 6in threshold.

I have had both including houses with a crawl spaces. One type construction is as good as the other.
Why would we "get over it"?

If you grow up in the north- Boston or Chicago in my case- A basement isn't just desirable. It's an expectation that very much has an effect on resale and general ability to sell. I wouldn't buy a house without a basement (unfinished or finished) in the suburbs.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:44 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:

Slabs aren't a good choice in New England, due to reasons you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts