Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2020, 09:27 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh. I see you quoted a tv watching kid. I guess some people really do get their information from the screen. Pretty pathetic and sad. They should get out of the house sometime if they can muster the courage.
I grew up in south Jersey until age 20. The suburbs are pretty much all over south Jersey except for protected areas. Dunno about politics but it's definitely an exurb of Philadelphia. Yeah, flat, a huge sand bar (the top of the ancient Pococos). Everything suburban is less working-class than it ever was.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:16 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,675,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Again, you are talking about your circumstances in Hopkinton. You picked the baby factory town with minimal commercial real estate, not me. My mill rate is $9.93. I have no problem getting trade people to do work at reasonable prices. I used to live in Portsmouth NH. I did the retirement math and bailed out to the Massachusetts South Coast. I can walk to the beach. I can walk to the dinghy dock. My housing price per square foot is half of Portsmouth. The property taxes are 1/4 what I was paying in Portsmouth. When I start collecting Social Security, it won’t be taxed.

Of course, I also used to own a house in Winchester. Trade people would drive up my driveway and double their prices.
There hasn't been any factories in Hopkinton for many years. It's woodsy.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:36 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Uh, I think the poster was referring to families with more kids/babies.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:29 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,675,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Uh, I think the poster was referring to families with more kids/babies.
You are right. I thought factories were mentioned in another post about the town.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:42 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicdoug View Post
I was limited by my work (Westborough) and the desire to have a less than 20 min. commute. The choices were Westborough, Northborough, Southborough, Marlboro, Hopkinton, Ashland or Milford. Maybe Holliston. None of the "boro" towns are any cheaper than Hopkinton, Ashland is less expensive but not nearly as nice, Holliston is nice but another 10-15 min farther away.

I was fortunate that my commute was to Westborough, which could be driven with no traffic lights. But East-West traffic in Hopkinton is awful. It backs up for ~ 2 miles in the morning go east and the same in the afternoons going west.

I guess you could argue that Rt 9 is an East-West highway, but given the number of traffic lights, it will be no faster than local roads. I've had to commute to Waltham a few times, it can take 1 hr 15 min to go 19 miles. That's awful.

I don't think they will be widening roads here... it is expensive and the locals will fight it.

Northborough is probably cheaper than Hopkinton, and Marlboro most definitely is. Both in terms of home prices and taxes. I actually think Hopkinton is being treated a little rough on this thread. I get that it's not right for you which is the point people here are trying to get across, but lets not forget that it's expensive and in demand for a reason. For some, it offers a package (and access) that's hard to beat.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:54 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,928,372 times
Quote:
You are right. I thought factories were mentioned in another post about the town.
The earlier poster called it a baby factory town, which I could see being confused for a baby factory town.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:46 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
i don't know about the politics, but it has some stellar herp fauna. a group i am a member of has done two of their national meetings there over the last couple of decades. its nice, and a lot easier for me to get to than say, snake road.
fsu??

Old 01-05-2020, 12:56 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I grew up in south Jersey until age 20. The suburbs are pretty much all over south Jersey except for protected areas. Dunno about politics but it's definitely an exurb of Philadelphia. Yeah, flat, a huge sand bar (the top of the ancient Pococos). Everything suburban is less working-class than it ever was.

Yeah, I know. Every time I pass through, its more and more like that. Thankfully there are some good orgs that do protect the native habitat there. I hope to participate in a burn there sometime.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:51 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Northborough is probably cheaper than Hopkinton, and Marlboro most definitely is. Both in terms of home prices and taxes. I actually think Hopkinton is being treated a little rough on this thread. I get that it's not right for you which is the point people here are trying to get across, but lets not forget that it's expensive and in demand for a reason. For some, it offers a package (and access) that's hard to beat.
In a nutshell I'd say Hopkinton is a little more stepfordian than the ...boro towns.

Old 01-05-2020, 05:59 PM

604 posts, read 562,345 times
Quote:
Hipkington still has a major (white collar) Dell campus, at least for now. The old EMC lines of business might continue to struggle as the big clouds take over most of the server farm business (or maybe they will sell directly to the big three cloud providers who knows)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts