Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 06:14 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
If a state is a nice place to live, why does one have to drink booze, smoke POT ? Pot and Booze is used to escape reality. If reality is nice in a state. you dont need booze and POT to escape it.

Now research this: Massachusetts residents have one of the highest rates of POT, consumption of alcohol in the country. Up there with Colorado residents. As a matter of research facts, all of the residents in the New England states are high users of mind altering drugs compared to other areas of the country.

This is incorrect. Not surprisingly though.

Mass is middle of the pack.
RI is middle of the pack. Same with CT.

Now Maine is a bit on the higher side, as is VT, and NH is the highest. The only thing surprising is that WI isn't the highest.

And of course you're stating your opinion as a fact, and then making up data points to support your opinion. Very conservative mindset.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:35 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times
I didn’t know MA had a lot of people drinking and smoking in it. Not surprising I guess.

I will say that as a Boston resident my quality of life has gone down the past 10 years basically due to high cost of living and overcrowding. The traffic is insane, the MBTa is insane, going out to eat or to a museum or the movies or the mall has become sad. I find myself not wanting to bother doing things because of lines, traffic, wait times for everything. I might be more anxious around crowds than some and I think I’ve become more so since having kids. I have found the science museum and children’s museum to be a complete nightmare. Just overrun with people no matter when I go. And things like that are supposed to be a perk about living in the city. When my husband and i do date nights even though we live in the city we head to a restaurant in the suburbs. It also seems like politicians care more about people who aren’t here legally, people on welfare or have criminal pasts and of course the rich.

We are moving out of the city soon but really can’t move out of MA due to our jobs and our families are here. I’m just done with Boston. It isn’t fun anymore. It might be fun If you’re single and don’t mind trudging your way through a crowd.

So yeah I relate to the people who want to leave. My house is also completely overpriced but I can’t wait to sell it this spring.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I didn’t know MA had a lot of people drinking and smoking in it. Not surprising I guess.

As I said. It doesn't. It is right about average among the 50 states at 21st for hard alcohol and, its in the bottom 10 of per capita beer consumption, etc.

It is not a state that drinks a lot, relatively.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:46 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
As I said. It doesn't. It is right about average among the 50 states.
Yeah sounds right. I don’t know many people in the Boston area who work, have kids and spend time drinking basically because they don’t have the time. I do spend summer weekends on the cape and there is a lot of drinking down there then.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:23 AM

17,672 posts, read 9,155,986 times
As massnative71 pointed out: "The question isn't whether people care or not, it's whether it influences where they decide to live."

And some people have no business talking about what decent people do.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Yeah sounds right. I don’t know many people in the Boston area who work, have kids and spend time drinking basically because they don’t have the time. I do spend summer weekends on the cape and there is a lot of drinking down there then.

I bet, but that's vacation.

Seriously though, with all the places I've lived or visited, its really hard to imagine Wisconsin doesn't rank first in all drinking categories.

https://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/drink/7-10-drunkest-cities-america-are-all-one-state

The Midwest just drinks more.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:52 AM

432 posts, read 414,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
... the rapidly urbanizing, 2 hours to travel anywhere, angry horn tooting,crowded roads,and wacky Democrats of Massachusetts
There is some choice involved on whether to participate in this or not.
I've been here 2 years and have seen very little of this.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:54 AM

Yep I don’t know many people from Wisconsin but my aunts friend lives there and she’s had alcohol problems. She’s a nurse with a law degree so it’s not like she has nothing to do. Her husband left her over her alcoholism.

There’s a lot of year round people who live on the cape who are heavy drinkers. There’s not much to do there in the winter.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:45 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
i love weed. just throwing that out there wror

Old 12-23-2019, 12:29 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
I did move away 20 years ago (career) but it's still dear to me in many ways.

That said, I recognize it less and less each time I visit. It has begun to resemble all the other places I've been/lived and it sort of feels sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts