Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 05:40 PM

24,562 posts, read 18,305,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Shes from Miami... I think she can deal with the traffic here.
The potholes will be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 10:46 AM

8,546 posts, read 14,047,046 times
Having spent a lot of time in Miami, I can honestly say that moving to Massachusetts will be a bit of a culture shock as the people and even the lay of the land are quite different here. If you move to the South Coast, it will be an even greater adjustment. Personally, I think you'd feel isolated living in those areas if you're coming from anywhere near Miami especially if you were living in a very densely populated area of the city.

I guess what I would ask is . . . what makes you focus on the South Coast? Is it the proximity to the water? Keep in mind, living near the water is really only a major plus around here a few months out of the year. You mentioned good schools and a job. There are a lot of towns in MA with good schools and the public schools in general in this state are far better than what you'll find in most of Florida. So, finding a school to your liking shouldn't be hard. Where is the new job located? What is your housing budget? I'm wondering if the folks here can help you find an alternative spot to consider that's closer to Boston and therefore a better fit for your lifestyle.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:24 AM

24,562 posts, read 18,305,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Having spent a lot of time in Miami, I can honestly say that moving to Massachusetts will be a bit of a culture shock as the people and even the lay of the land are quite different here. If you move to the South Coast, it will be an even greater adjustment. Personally, I think you'd feel isolated living in those areas if you're coming from anywhere near Miami especially if you were living in a very densely populated area of the city.

I guess what I would ask is . . . what makes you focus on the South Coast? Is it the proximity to the water? Keep in mind, living near the water is really only a major plus around here a few months out of the year. You mentioned good schools and a job. There are a lot of towns in MA with good schools and the public schools in general in this state are far better than what you'll find in most of Florida. So, finding a school to your liking shouldn't be hard. Where is the new job located? What is your housing budget? I'm wondering if the folks here can help you find an alternative spot to consider that's closer to Boston and therefore a better fit for your lifestyle.

The OP wrote "for work" so I presume there's a South Coast job offer in the works. If you need the public school system, you're going to pick Mattapoisett or Marion assuming you can afford the housing.

My private beach in South Dartmouth opens mid-May and closes mid-September. My boat usually gets hauled mid-October and definitely before November 1 when it's a PITA to get someone to open the bridge. I usually won't swim until mid-June and the water is still warm mid-September when the beach closes. Buzzards Bay ocean temperature is easily 10 degrees warmer than Massachusetts Bay so the summer is quite a bit longer and the warm extends much deeper into the fall.

Personally, I can think of way worse places to raise a family than Mattapoisett and Marion. They're totally safe affluent coastal towns. Learn to sail in the Beverly Yacht Club junior program. Silvershell Beach. It's really bicycle-friendly. Wareham a couple miles away on I-195 has the big box stores and I-495 is one mile farther. I grew up with that lifestyle. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's not like Boston is on another planet to use on weekends. It's the same hour drive time to South Station on weekends that I have.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:50 PM

8,546 posts, read 14,047,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The OP wrote "for work" so I presume there's a South Coast job offer in the works. If you need the public school system, you're going to pick Mattapoisett or Marion assuming you can afford the housing.

My private beach in South Dartmouth opens mid-May and closes mid-September. My boat usually gets hauled mid-October and definitely before November 1 when it's a PITA to get someone to open the bridge. I usually won't swim until mid-June and the water is still warm mid-September when the beach closes. Buzzards Bay ocean temperature is easily 10 degrees warmer than Massachusetts Bay so the summer is quite a bit longer and the warm extends much deeper into the fall.

Personally, I can think of way worse places to raise a family than Mattapoisett and Marion. They're totally safe affluent coastal towns. Learn to sail in the Beverly Yacht Club junior program. Silvershell Beach. It's really bicycle-friendly. Wareham a couple miles away on I-195 has the big box stores and I-495 is one mile farther. I grew up with that lifestyle. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's not like Boston is on another planet to use on weekends. It's the same hour drive time to South Station on weekends that I have.
I'm definitely not poo-pooing on the South Coast. If you're moving from Miami though, the South Coast is going to seem a bit quiet. It's not for everyone.

I have no idea where the OP's job offer is. I thought it might be useful information to have. Maybe the job is north of there. Who knows? I'm just thinking a bunch of locals might be able to come up with some alternatives that might be a little closer to what the OP is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts