Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2020, 06:04 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Isn't an open floor plan only for the first floor? Most people already have a separate office upstairs. Everyone hates compartmented rooms in old houses now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Open floor plans are pushed by HGTV in part because enjoy the demo required to create them.

https://www.countryliving.com/life/e...en-floor-plan/

I’ll stick with rooms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Open floor plans are pushed because people want them. We don't watch TV so whatever HGTV does was irrelevant to us. Our son had lots of room to run around during this quarantine in winter, we are glad we have a huge open living space downstairs. He even drove his electric car inside. It was great for parties before the quarantine too, lots of space for all adults and kids to gather together.
I was responding to the bolded statement. Not everyone hates rooms. HGTV hates rooms for the reason I mentioned (demolition makes for better TV). You don't have to look hard to find people who like rooms and people who hate open concept design.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-close-...u-h-1834275562

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/a...r-plan/560561/

https://medium.com/@FrankRacioppi/wh...n-e0e841cbb425

If you like open floor plan, good for you. You are not everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 06:53 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:

If you like open floor plan, good for you. You are not everyone.
Yes, same here - I don't want to live in a barn and have to listen to what is going in every corner at the same time.

We added a dividing wall last year to do just that

Old 06-01-2020, 06:55 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
To be fair, I don’t believe he was talking in absolute terms.

The reality is for much of our human existence we were living in open communal spaces. Privacy was/is a luxury, but even so it’s not hard to open concepts in pre-20th century homes. My friend owns a grand Victorian, a home built by a wealthy mill owner, and with the large walnut pocket doors opened, the entire first floor become a sprawling open concept. None of this thinking is new, in fact, the most radical “new” thinking is that sectioned off rooms should be “a thing”.

I happen to work in a quarter-cape pre-dating US independence. HG TV wasn’t around in 1695, but somehow the builder was very aware of “open concept” design. Granted, when you have a single hearth an “open concept” becomes a bit of a necessity.

In short, separate rooms is very much a wealthy 18th century+ trend.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
To be fair, I don’t believe he was talking in absolute terms.

The reality is for much of our human existence we were living in open communal spaces. Privacy was/is a luxury, but even so it’s not hard to open concepts in pre-20th century homes. My friend owns a grand Victorian, a home built by a wealthy mill owner, and with the large walnut pocket doors opened, the entire first floor become a sprawling open concept. None of this thinking is new, in fact, the most radical “new” thinking is that sectioned off rooms should be “a thing”.

I happen to work in a quarter-cape pre-dating US independence. HG TV wasn’t around in 1695, but somehow the builder was very aware of “open concept” design. Granted, when you have a single hearth an “open concept” becomes a bit of a necessity.

In short, separate rooms is very much a wealthy 18th century+ trend.
As a counter to "everyone hates compartmented rooms" I didn't think "not everyone likes open concept" would be so controversial.

Having watched HGTV, the only reason I would think someone would believe "everyone" hates compartmented rooms is because HGTV always shows the transition from rooms to open concept. It's their signature. I've got nothing against open concept and know that it predates cable (the article I linked even mentioned a FLW house), but it's not for everyone.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
As a counter to "everyone hates compartmented rooms" I didn't think "not everyone likes open concept" would be so controversial.

Having watched HGTV, the only reason I would think someone would believe "everyone" hates compartmented rooms is because HGTV always shows the transition from rooms to open concept. It's their signature. I've got nothing against open concept and know that it predates cable (the article I linked even mentioned a FLW house), but it's not for everyone.
Or perhaps he is a recent home buyer, which he is, who noticed all of the new builds and/or desirable remodels on the market had open concepts? Builders don't build whatever they please, they build what the market demands and right now the wealthy upper middle class demands open concept ... as they have been much of the post-war 20th century. I find it difficult to believe the market is being driven by HG TV taste-makers, but then a builder in my town has gone full 'Jojo farmhouse modern' so perhaps I'm wrong.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Or perhaps he is a recent home buyer, which he is, who noticed all of the new builds and/or desirable remodels on the market had open concepts? Builders don't build whatever they please, they build what the market demands and right now the wealthy upper middle class demands open concept ... as they have been much of the post-war 20th century. I find it difficult to believe the market is being driven by HG TV taste-makers, but then a builder in my town has gone full 'Jojo farmhouse modern' so perhaps I'm wrong.
I know 2014 probably isn't considered 'recent', but while there were more open concept houses than I would have liked, there were still lots of houses with dividing walls. We didn't buy new, but friends who bought in 2016 also have lots of first floor walls. Open concept shows really well. I'm sure it lives well for certain segments of the population. It's not ubiquitous.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I know 2014 probably isn't considered 'recent', but while there were more open concept houses than I would have liked, there were still lots of houses with dividing walls. We didn't buy new, but friends who bought in 2016 also have lots of first floor walls. Open concept shows really well. I'm sure it lives well for certain segments of the population. It's not ubiquitous.
I'll also concede I'm using a fairly broad definition of 'open concept'. Most of the developments built in my lifetime (30-something millenial) have leaned into 'open concept'; i.e., kitchens which open into dining areas, dining areas opening into living rooms, broad entries between rooms, etc.

Compared to some of the current 'open concept' layouts, which IMO have taken the approach perhaps too far, the older interpretations do end up feeling more closed or intimate. But these layouts do lean more open than not. Few, if any, have doors separating rooms like one might have seen in the 19th and early 20th century.

I do agree there is a certain segment of the population which prefers truly segmented homes ... unfortunately for them, they're restricted to buying period homes or fully custom.

Old 06-01-2020, 02:00 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
I currently have an open floor plan rowhome in Baltimore I thought I would love. Now I wish badly for more walls like our neighbor has.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:07 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
The main things I disliked about MA (New England) homes were the small, dark rooms, and the Colonial looks things (like an eagle over the front door). I love open spaces and cathedral ceilings. Let the light shine in.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:19 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:

I already said I don't watch TV so I don't know or care what HGTV says. We toured homes with compartmented rooms and it felt claustrophobic and like a maze, like one of those escape room adventures. Half the rooms were dark. I would have hated to be trapped in a house like that during quarantine. It would have required 4 separate AC units for each room downstairs.

In our open area house, my son ran around all day, rode his balance bike and drove his electric car indoors during winter. We felt safe cooking dinner while be played because we could see him the whole time. All of our friends and family love our huge living area. We are the go-to house to host any kind of gathering because we have the biggest open space for parties. Now that it's warm, we only need one big AC unit to cool the whole downstairs instead of 4 separate little ones.

So that is my opinion.

Last edited by matrix5k; 06-02-2020 at 04:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts