Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 08:10 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times

Advertisements

There’s nothing wrong with stocking up but this thing is spreading like the cold or flu it seems. It’s going to spread and it is spreading. I’m not sure closing grocery stores if it comes to that will do much good.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:20 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Death rate from data seen in korea also suggests the real mortality rate is less than 1%. Maybe even 0.5%. They are doing widespread testing there.
While better than the 1.7-2.8% coming out of China, it's still 5-10X+ the average influenza season. That could very well overwhelm current bed count depending on the region and concentration. I don't think it will happen, but it is a "known unknown".

Old 03-02-2020, 08:43 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
While better than the 1.7-2.8% coming out of China, it's still 5-10X+ the average influenza season. That could very well overwhelm current bed count depending on the region and concentration. I don't think it will happen, but it is a "known unknown".
I agree with your last sentence.

Just thinking through the math here...after some quick googling it looks like the three major Partners hospitals plus BMC has about 3,000 beds.

Assuming an occupancy rate of 90% leaves 300 beds available and assume only 1/3 of those beds are available to serious coronavirus cases. There would be more beds available than the total number of reported cases in the U.S. as of this writing.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:58 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
There would be more beds available than the total number of reported cases in the U.S. as of this writing.
Hopefully it stays that way.

China's situation was terrible. They had no idea what was coming and by the time they caught on it was too late. VERY dense city and probably spread for nearly 2 months before coming to light.

Rest of the world has a heads up, and was on alert. Maybe there was some mismanagement, but I see a lot of changes in behavior from people these days. More hand washing, more remote working, social distancing, etc. I'm sure if more cases popped up in a region, people would pull back even more.

I'm paying close attention to the numbers of some of the western nations to see if they can get a handle on it, and if there is a peak at a FAR lower number than what we saw in CHina.

Iran might take the worst of this. It must be really widespread for political leaders to be coming down with it. Really hope the rumors of worshippers still licking relics is untrue.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:02 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Hopefully it stays that way.

China's situation was terrible. They had no idea what was coming and by the time they caught on it was too late. VERY dense city and probably spread for nearly 2 months before coming to light.

Rest of the world has a heads up, and was on alert. Maybe there was some mismanagement, but I see a lot of changes in behavior from people these days. More hand washing, more remote working, social distancing, etc. I'm sure if more cases popped up in a region, people would pull back even more.

I'm paying close attention to the numbers of some of the western nations to see if they can get a handle on it, and if there is a peak at a FAR lower number than what we saw in CHina.

Iran might take the worst of this. It must be really widespread for political leaders to be coming down with it. Really hope the rumors of worshippers still licking relics is untrue.
What about the blarney stone?

If the death rate is 1-2% and Iran's numbers are higher that either means a higher elderly population or they aren't reporting the full figures.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
What about the blarney stone?

If the death rate is 1-2% and Iran's numbers are higher that either means a higher elderly population or they aren't reporting the full figures.

Not that I have any sort of inside info on the subject, but I believe it's more of the latter.

According to:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#repro

Iran has almost 300 people recovered. I've seen reports stating that it takes 3-6 weeks to recover. They have the second highest number of recoveries after china. That suggests they had the virus in circulation for a while now, and the numbers of infected are far higher.

I also don't believe they had the ability to test until very recently. SO many a mix of not reporting and/or not having the ability to report.

But iran (and Italy and china) do have elderly populations as well. US does too. Where US does fair the best however is air quality, and a lower smoking rate for many.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:14 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Stocking up on essentials makes sense. Hoarding food does not (to me at least).

We bought more of things we will use anyway, including non perishable food, cleaning products, OTC and prescription medications, etc. We did not buy a palates of Spaghettios and other canned foods as we don't eat that stuff. Hopefully the worse case will require staying close to home for a few weeks. If not, I guess the preppers win...

One could retire if they were sitting on a cache of Purell. It's sort of amusing. FWIW for anyone worried they can't get hand sanitizer, just mix ISO alcohol with a bit of aloe and voila...

Old 03-02-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Hopefully the worse case will require staying close to home for a few weeks.

If so, not sure how many people can pull that off. Some people have the luxury of living in the quiet 'burbs, with a 12-month safety net and good resources to fall back on and trees for neighbors. Others live paycheck to paycheck supporting a few kids and don't have resources to fall back on.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:17 PM

162 posts, read 102,092 times
Quote:
Stocking up on essentials makes sense. Hoarding food does not (to me at least).

Food is pretty much an essential in my book. If you see me hoarding pieces of string or a big ball of used aluminum foil, maybe it's time for an intervention of some kind.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:40 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
One could retire if they were sitting on a cache of Purell. It's sort of amusing.
Amazon just removed over 1 million listings for not only price gouging but also false claims that the products will protect you from coronavirus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts