Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2020, 10:02 AM

169 posts, read 182,568 times

Advertisements

Hello - I have to pick someone up at the airport on Sunday 3/22 (flight arrives at 4pm) and deliver them to the Inn at Children's on Longwood Ave for appts that week at Beth Israel.

Looking to stop en route and get an early dinner - nothing fancy, burgers, steak tips, pub food. Seems I have a lot of options on the stretch of Brookline Ave right around Fenway Park (Boston Beer Works, Yard House, Wahlburgers).

My question is what is parking like along that stretch on a Sunday in March (no Red Sox worries) around 5pm? I have heard the meters are free. Can I expect parking availability along there without having to pay a fortune to park in a lot for 90 minutes or so while we grab a quick bite? Then onto the hotel where I will just drop him off.

Will need to do similar in reverse on Wednesday to grab lunch before his afternoon flight. Won't be stopping in the same area though as I know parking is impossible during the week.

If anyone has a suggestion for a similar type lunch place en route back to Logan on Wednesday with easy parking that would be helpful.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 10:25 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
On-street parking can be tough on Sunday, because people can park and leave their car for as long as they want with no consequences. If you can’t find a spot, the Landmark Center Garage is apparently $14 for 90 minutes, which...could be worse?

It might actually be easier to find a spot in the middle of the day on a weekday (e.g. Wednesday) than on a Sunday.

A place with easy parking that’s relatively en-route to Logan from Longwood could be South Bay. It’s got a few options (including a Wahlburgers and a Olive Garden). Mostly chain restaurants, though.

Edit: Looks like there may be cheaper garages in Fenway. I’m not an expert.

Old 03-08-2020, 10:39 AM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadschum View Post
Hello - I have to pick someone up at the airport on Sunday 3/22 (flight arrives at 4pm) and deliver them to the Inn at Children's on Longwood Ave for appts that week at Beth Israel.

Looking to stop en route and get an early dinner - nothing fancy, burgers, steak tips, pub food. Seems I have a lot of options on the stretch of Brookline Ave right around Fenway Park (Boston Beer Works, Yard House, Wahlburgers).

My question is what is parking like along that stretch on a Sunday in March (no Red Sox worries) around 5pm? I have heard the meters are free. Can I expect parking availability along there without having to pay a fortune to park in a lot for 90 minutes or so while we grab a quick bite? Then onto the hotel where I will just drop him off.

Will need to do similar in reverse on Wednesday to grab lunch before his afternoon flight. Won't be stopping in the same area though as I know parking is impossible during the week.

If anyone has a suggestion for a similar type lunch place en route back to Logan on Wednesday with easy parking that would be helpful.

Thanks.
I've parked in the Atrius Health garage...of course, I've gone for appointments, and they've validated the parking. But I'm guessing it will be highly discounted on Sundays. Then you're in walking distance of all those restaurants.

Unique food in that area (not sitdown) includes Blackbird Donuts and By Chloe.

Old 03-08-2020, 11:25 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
Expecting that you'll find a street spot on a Sunday is questionable. If you find one, great, but it's far from a guarantee.

Old 03-08-2020, 01:35 PM

169 posts, read 182,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
On-street parking can be tough on Sunday, because people can park and leave their car for as long as they want with no consequences. If you can’t find a spot, the Landmark Center Garage is apparently $14 for 90 minutes, which...could be worse?

It might actually be easier to find a spot in the middle of the day on a weekday (e.g. Wednesday) than on a Sunday.

A place with easy parking that’s relatively en-route to Logan from Longwood could be South Bay. It’s got a few options (including a Wahlburgers and a Olive Garden). Mostly chain restaurants, though.

Edit: Looks like there may be cheaper garages in Fenway. I’m not an expert.
This seems like a pretty good option. However, the google maps route that takes me from South Bay Center to Longwood Ave has me travelling down Melnea Cass Blvd and Tremont Street. Figure we would be heading that way around ~7pm that night, maybe a bit earlier.

Is this area safe to travel through? I am not familiar with that area of Dorchester/Roxbury? Or is there a different route to get from South Bay to Longwood Ave? Would be going home to the North Shore so that is not an issue after I drop relative at the hotel.

Old 03-08-2020, 02:35 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
Quote:
This seems like a pretty good option. However, the google maps route that takes me from South Bay Center to Longwood Ave has me travelling down Melnea Cass Blvd and Tremont Street. Figure we would be heading that way around ~7pm that night, maybe a bit earlier.

Is this area safe to travel through? I am not familiar with that area of Dorchester/Roxbury? Or is there a different route to get from South Bay to Longwood Ave? Would be going home to the North Shore so that is not an issue after I drop relative at the hotel.
This is all relative. While everyone will tell you the area is perfectly safe there's no sugar coating that the area surrounding South Bay is a dump.

Old 03-09-2020, 02:16 PM

787 posts, read 781,347 times
I've never had trouble parking here on Sundays:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3501...7i16384!8i8192

Bay State Road. Easy access to Kenmore and Fenway.

Certain stretches of the road are resident only, but further down there's tons of metered parking.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:49 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Slugger View Post
I've never had trouble parking here on Sundays:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3501...7i16384!8i8192

Bay State Road. Easy access to Kenmore and Fenway.

Certain stretches of the road are resident only, but further down there's tons of metered parking.
Yeah, but that's a pretty good hike to the area along Brookline Ave he's talking about. Better hope the weather's good and he's got plenty of time!

Old 03-09-2020, 10:00 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:

There are usually pan-handlers at the intersection of Mass Ave and Melnea Cass. Mass Ave south of that intersection can also be a little sketchy, but the shopping center itself is generally fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts