Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 07:35 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I doubt the situation is really getting better in China but they were sufficiently lobbied by Western Companies to end the quarantine and reopen the factories. They're just hoping an outbreak doesn't happen, and cover it up if it does.
I appreciate a conspiracy theory as much as the next person, but I doubt this is the case. The outbreak has happened there and the spread will continue. It's continuing to happen here and elsewhere. From everything I've seen and heard, conditions are improving in China. But even if they aren't, the lifted quarantines and return to work can easily be explained another way - people are coming to grips with reality.

Wuhan has been dealing with this virus for 1/4 of a year. This virus travels fast and spreads easily over vast geographic areas in a connected world. A quarantine is never going to to prevent it from spreading, it will only slow the spread. That ship has largely sailed in China's densely populated urban centers which are connected to the rest of China and the world by vast transportation networks. And while the virus is nothing to be taken lightly, the reality is that it's not an epidemic that's going to obliterate cities and put a major dent in the human population.

3.7% of cases in China have proven fatal (likely far fewer if you consider that most minor cases are going untested). The vast majority of those are older and/or people with compromised immune systems, preexisting respiratory conditions, etc. To be clear, that's a significant loss of life. This thing is very real, and if I were older and had a condition or weakened immune system I'd be scared. But it doesn't affect many (likely most) of the people exposed. The vast majority of those infected show few or minor symptoms (dry cough, often with a bit of fever). The severe cases are fewer and farther between. And while it should absolutely be taken seriously (and it appears China is taking it seriously), life does have to go on for the vast majority of the population. That means getting back to work and continuing life as normal. So that's what's happening in China. They can't quarantine millions of people for 1/4 of a year. Not for this. By May or June, I'm certain we'll be there too.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:17 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Im also surprised by how easily it spread at the biogen conference. It’s like damn i guess it’s that contagious or the people there have bad immune systems or no one washed their hands whatsoever. In nyc they’ve linked 50 other cases to that one lawyer.

Just something else to be angry and worried about in the world right now.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:20 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Im also surprised by how easily it spread at the biogen conference. It’s like damn i guess it’s that contagious or the people there have bad immune systems or no one washed their hands whatsoever. In nyc they’ve linked 50 other cases to that one lawyer.

Just something else to be angry and worried about in the world right now.

What good does being angry or worried do? The biogen and lawyer related cluster identifications are most likely due to focused testing. Relatively few people are being tested; its certainly far more widespread than the identified clusters.

I mean, there are things to be angry about public health wise in the grand scheme, such as mandatory paid sick leave, and one would hope that such a situation could be used political capital wise to get there (though it hasnt' helped with gun control), but I'm not overly hopeful due to our priorities.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:27 AM

Well I don’t want to get it. So it’s maddening to see and hear about how contagious it is. I already fear getting a cold or the flu or a stomach virus. This is just something to add to the list now.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:34 AM

Well I don't want to get sick either, but personally, I can't imagine living in fear. If I did I wouldn't travel, or eat out, or go to conventions or parties or whatever. That's no way to live to me. But for people with compromised immune systems, yeah, it can be scary.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:37 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
More important things to do like spending our 5 billion gas tax road repair money on the war against global warming
Nobody has seen any receipts for those expenditures but I am sure he is very busy working on it

Old 03-11-2020, 08:37 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What good does being angry or worried do? The biogen and lawyer related cluster identifications are most likely due to focused testing. Relatively few people are being tested; its certainly far more widespread than the identified clusters.
Current infection quantification suggests rates lower than measles (notorious for rapid outbreaks), but higher than most common viruses including influenza and noro strains. Yeah, it's everywhere.

Anyone immune compromised should avoid large crowds and highly trafficked areas.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:40 AM

This is scary. I guess some people react to scary things by being angry. I’m angry to be dealing with this and worried on the train. Ain’t nobody got time for coronavirus. I am working from home today but need to take the train to work. People are aholes and don’t stay home when they’re sick. This is how this is spreading.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
This is scary. I guess some people react to scary things by being angry. I’m angry to be dealing with this and worried on the train. Ain’t nobody got time for coronavirus. I am working from home today but need to take the train to work. People are aholes and don’t stay home when they’re sick. This is how this is spreading.

Lots of people can't. They don't get paid sick leave, or sick leave of any type.

Now, this is a public health issue the government can and do something about. That is something to be angry about, that we're not like any normal industrialized country with mandatory paid sick leave. Ridiculous.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:53 AM

But many people do get paid sick time and they still come to work to be a hero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts