Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2022, 10:29 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
He probably felt that since the kids weren't wearing them, why should he bother? That's how a lot of people feel (understandably).
That's kind of a silly attitude to not bother to wear a mask just because someone else isn't wearing while we're at it. Anyone else is free to keep wearing an N95 if they'd like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 10:31 AM

5,114 posts, read 2,672,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Tough times for the Covid enthusiasts. Many have already deftly pivoted into foreign policy experts though.
I noticed this. Hilarious.

Old 03-01-2022, 10:37 AM

4,665 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:
I'm confused. Every study I seen, demonstrates the harm inflicted from closing schools, as well as the effectiveness of masks in reducing transmission within the schools and keeping kids there in class. You seem to think that cloth face masks are a greater abuse than preventable absences and ongoing rolling quarantines?
Yes, you are. Almost everybody else has realized "masks or further restrictions, you choose" is not a natural condition but an imposed false dilemma whose ridiculousness is now glaringly evident.

You can choose to just remove all restrictions, which is what even the most restriction-happy locales are doing at the present moment, now that the restrictions and the abuser logic they're built on ("if you don't do x, I'll have to do y...and you wouldn't want me to do y, would you?") are no longer politically tenable.

"We're doing restrictions so we don't have to do restrictions" is no way to function, so it's good to see people -- some who've taken longer than others -- waking up to it.

Old 03-01-2022, 11:08 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
I know you are confused (as are a great many people in this state). Masks worn below the nose, on the chin, soaking wet, dirty, etc. do absolutely nothing to reduce the spread of Covid. This describes 90%+ of masks worn by children in school. Are any children wearing fitted N95 masks in school? No... By all means though, keep the theater going at the expense of severe academic and social developmental delays, particularly to the populations most at risk. Using children as pawns to please teachers unions and the pajama class is over.

Our kids bus driver had actual tears in her eye yesterday, as she had never seen their faces and vice versa. It's beautiful to see people start to connect again.

I'm not confused in the slightest, it's your statement that was confusing. I was referring to the big picture, where school districts with mandates have been shown to have significantly lower transmission vs. those that do not. Nothing to do with the individual kid who isn't wearing one properly, etc.. We cannot predict what how things will transpire over the next two years, but you were speaking about the last two years. And data collected over the past two years points to less transmission (resulting in less missed school) within districts with mask mandates. Your statement suggested that masking is more harmful to the students, than the more days out of school. I have yet to see anything supporting that. My personal observations are that this is more of a "parents' issue" than the kids'.

Old 03-01-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
That's kind of a silly attitude to not bother to wear a mask just because someone else isn't wearing while we're at it. Anyone else is free to keep wearing an N95 if they'd like.

No it's a rational, human (although maybe a little selfish) decision. If people see that others will not go the extra mile for them, why bother replicating the same in return? Like what is the personal incentive? Many won't bother with the N95 masks, considering how restrictive and uncomfortable they can be (ymmv).

Old 03-01-2022, 11:17 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,307 times
Quote:
IYour statement suggested that masking is more harmful to the students, than the more days out of school. I have yet to see anything supporting that.
In no way did I state or imply that. Nice attempt at gaslighting though. Perhaps focus less on passive aggressive scare quotes and more reading comprehension?

My original post on this topic was clearly about masking. However, both are reprehensible and damaging to children. Yeah, its a "parents issue". Kids don't tend to realize when they are over a year behind where they otherwise would be academically, or that they are no longer comfortable interacting with adults with out a mask on.

Old 03-01-2022, 11:22 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default Re

Quote:
No it's a rational, human (although maybe a little selfish) decision. If people see that others will not go the extra mile for them, why bother replicating the same in return? Like what is the personal incentive? Many won't bother with the N95 masks, considering how restrictive and uncomfortable they can be (ymmv).
Wow sorry you’re so sad to see the masks go

Old 03-01-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
In no way did I state or imply that. Nice attempt at gaslighting though. Perhaps focus less on passive aggressive scare quotes and more reading comprehension?

My original post on this topic was clearly about masking. However, both are reprehensible and damaging to children. Yeah, its a "parents issue". Kids don't tend to realize when they are over a year behind where they otherwise would be academically, or that they are no longer comfortable interacting with adults with out a mask on.

The issue with what you are saying is that you cannot speak of the harm inflicted by one measure (mask mandate), without acknowledging the reality that not doing so will have other consequences. I mean you are free to zone in on the evils of masks if you so choose, but that's not going to effectively convince those of us who look at the bigger picture.

Old 03-01-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Wow sorry you’re so sad to see the masks go

Huh???

Although, I would be lying to say that I'm looking forward to seeing "many people"'s faces again.

Old 03-01-2022, 11:56 AM

4,665 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:
Huh???

Although, I would be lying to say that I'm looking forward to seeing "many people"'s faces again.
That's too bad. I enjoy seeing people's faces. One of many reasons I'm glad masks are becoming a thing of the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts