Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 06:37 AM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
:
:
I am not really sure of the end game on this though. Can we really get rid of the virus totally? Say we all start emerging in April and this all starts up again from one or two people who are carriers. What if we allow travel again and one or two countries aren't as diligent as we are?
I think you're onto something - this is like a fire that's difficult to actually put out. But mitigation efforts can have a huge impact on mortality, to me, that's the point of slowing this down, is spreading out the cases over time.

From what I understand from statements made by Anthony Fauci, we will very likely have a vaccine to halt the spread in 2021, and we may have an effective drug for patients, perhaps by this fall? Until then, we may need to largely ride this out.

There is also a good possibility that warmer weather will slow this down, though Fauci cautioned that there are no guarantees of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 07:20 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I think you're onto something - this is like a fire that's difficult to actually put out. But mitigation efforts can have a huge impact on mortality, to me, that's the point of slowing this down, is spreading out the cases over time.
I saw an article today that India had already cured some sever patients using HIV drugs.

https://www.businesstoday.in/current...ry/397941.html

But to me it seems like it might be a better situation to have everyone under 50 get it and become immune so that the world could continue as normal for most of the world.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:34 AM

17,676 posts, read 9,164,338 times
Quote:
But to me it seems like it might be a better situation to have everyone under 50 get it and become immune so that the world could continue as normal for most of the world.
It's not 100% clear at this point if you become immune. Also, while some people are believed to fully recover, some people will likely have permanent lung damage. There is so much unknown.

And it has been said that pregnant women are in the high risk category.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:03 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Quote:
I don't really understand the testing. They will only do it if you have symptoms. Well if you have symptoms just self quarantine. It is great to know that you have it but in the end if they won't test people unless they have symptoms to me it doesn't make too much difference.

?
This individual can’t “just self-quarantine”. They’ve gone to the ER twice now and need care.

First ER trip, the testing wasn’t done due to bureaucracy. Won’t go into details, but the Dr wanted to test but couldn’t. Second time was drive-up services in the parking lot. What a difference 24 hrs made.

Also, there are reports of lasting damage from this even in “milder”cases. Organs high in ACE2 like kidneys and testicles take a beating. Possible fertility issues. You really don’t want to get this.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 03-14-2020 at 08:12 AM..

Old 03-14-2020, 08:28 AM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/03...h-like-italys/

"A Northeastern University researcher is warning Massachusetts is dangerously close to being on a similar coronavirus trajectory as hard-hit Italy if officials don’t act quickly.
Samuel Scarpino, assistant professor in the Network Science Institute at Northeastern University, said that while it’s too late to prevent thousands of cases from cropping up in Massachusetts, it’s not too late to prevent tens of thousands"

Old 03-14-2020, 09:09 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
This individual can’t “just self-quarantine”. They’ve gone to the ER twice now and need care.
So what does that have to do with testing? If you need care you need care regardless of if you have a test that says you have it or not? If you have the systems but are not tested you are considered presumptive positive. The fact that the ER sent him home tells me he doesn't have it.

Quote:
Also, there are reports of lasting damage from this even in “milder”cases. Organs high in ACE2 like kidneys and testicles take a beating. Possible fertility issues. You really don’t want to get this.
I believe I had it in late December early January. For me the symptoms were clear and not questionable. I had a 103 fever (rare for me) a cough and chest congestion / respiratory issues. Even at the time I remarked that this was a super unusual illness for me. Typically I never get a fever and I usually don't get a cough unless I had a sore throat / stuff nose.

You may be correct about after effects. I was diagnosed with a blood disorder recently which I suspect is directly due to that illness. That being said, I we simply don't know if after effects are forever. My results are looking like the blood disorder may disappear as my immune system returns to normal.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
So what does that have to do with testing? If you need care you need care regardless of if you have a test that says you have it or not? If you have the systems but are not tested you are considered presumptive positive. The fact that the ER sent him home tells me he doesn't have it.

Not really sure why you have such a disdain for testing. Diagnostic testing is s routine part of any medical examination. If you can rule something out, you can zero in better on the actual cause vs just treating symptoms. Not sure why I’m arguing this. You aren’t a doctor, nor privy to the details.

For the record, I don’t believe this person has Covid19, but we still need to know what is the root cause. The drs wanted to test for it, not us.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 03-14-2020 at 09:52 AM..

Old 03-14-2020, 09:50 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,541,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Not really sure why you have such a disdain for testing. Diagnostic testing is s routine part of any medical examination. If you can rule something out, you can zero in better on the actual cause vs just treating symptoms. Not sure why I’m arguing this. You aren’t a doctor, nor privy to the facts. In fact your opinion in meaningless.

For the record, I don’t believe this person has Covid19, but we still need to know what is the root cause.
The test is only as good as the moment the blood is drawn. Not 5 min later, a day later, a week later. So if you are talking about protecting vulnerable individuals, a neg test for the visitor doesnt mean very much.

Old 03-14-2020, 11:10 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,402,251 times
Next step here is to close the bars (before Tuesday) and take restaurants to delivery only. Particularly younger people are not taking this seriously enough. Time to take the keys out of their hands.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Next step here is to close the bars (before Tuesday) and take restaurants to delivery only. Particularly younger people are not taking this seriously enough. Time to take the keys out of their hands.
Local town FB group having the same argument. Half claiming now is the time to stay home and isolate, and the other half thinking it’s no big deal for their teenage kids to go to the movies or friends house because they are bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts