Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 06:24 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Yea, a student from a supportive family and some work ethic should be just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 12:15 AM

560 posts, read 751,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Plenty towns in Massachusetts are 95% white or so. or at least less than 2% black. Maybe even most of the ~350. Maybe its 180 like that...

The child needs diversity period. Unless you want them going through an extended identity crisis or worse ridicule. You wouldn't believe some of the things that go on in MA high schools in regards to minority students in that are predominately white, I've seen it thanks to social media. And as you alluded to there are enough diverse options where OP doesn't need to be in a predominately white area. West Side of Worcester or anywhere in Framingham might work. Sure Framingham is a long commute but its a better school district than Worcester, diverse and a great physical location.

Example of Racism at Medford High:
https://medford.wickedlocal.com/news...rrors-part-two

https://twitter.com/jeremybonina/sta...89596144652291

"Junior year of high school I had two white boys tell me they were gonna lynch me after we got in an argument and then thought it’d be funny to brag about it to their friends.."

"Same year I had some white girl snapchat my boy (a white kid) with a caption saying the word “******” and when he said she can’t say that she said “yes I can the ******s let me”) someone probably still got the screenshot of it tbh."

"We had a whole student meeting with like 20 kids held by a teacher where they tried to defend themselves and actually didn’t get in trouble at all (typical at MHS). They also said that to this man as if because he’s lightskin he’s not black and that didn’t offend him."

"My last thing I’m talking about is senior year when this girl was throwing a house party ” and her uncle came and was “kicking everyone out”.
Since we just walked in obviously we walked out first but after we did that no one else left."

"This girl said to the same kid from the last story and all the kids at her party still “Sorry about that guys, you don’t really have to leave. My uncle just doesn’t like black people.” Then turned to the lightskin kid and goes “don’t worry though you’re good, you’re lightskin.”"

he also has receipts and screenshot to corroborate. And this is at a somewhat diverse schoolt hats 9% black.. It didnt make a ripple...that is what black kids deal with on the regular. Racial awareness is crucial.
I think you run into that kind of stupid crap everywhere. Just an unfortunate part of life. I know several black kids that graduated from Medford schools in the last few years that had nothing like this to say.

And again Medford Is pretty diverse for Mass.

I wouldn't suggest moving to a materially worse school district to pick up a handful more black kids. 4 per class vs 7 per class is the same thing.

Unless you're moving to Atlanta or willing to move into Boston proper, I wouldn't over analyze it.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Yea, a student from a supportive family and some work ethic should be just fine.
Problem is, if they stay in MA (post college etc) they are going to likely find themselves one of few blacks in most professional interactions unless they go out of thier way to create this false bubble of diversity. Massachusetts just isn't diverse. It is what it is.

I would disagree that moving to Randolph, Brockton, or somewhere similar to create this false sense of sameness is long term helpful. Schools are meh, RE values are meh, and you'll 100 percent get viewed as the black kid from some crappy town (yes I know it's all relative) later. And certain POVs and negative stereotypes will automatically get ascribed to the kids just from where they grew up. I've seen it happen at work.

My experience is people are much more socioeconomically segregated than anything else. People much rather live next to black fellow Republicans family who goes to church and take care thier property than the trashy (not my term just used for descriptive purposes) white family who they have nothing in common with.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
It depends on your definition of racism.......I suspect central Massachusetts will become increasingly more nativist and, as a result, will reject the liberal ideals of diversity and inclusion.
Alot to unpack here. Most of it not great. Let's start with you premise that's diversity and inclusion are "liberal ideals". Is your rant implying that conservative ideals are racial seperation and segregation? Yikes.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:50 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
ummm..no.

Central MA like any and everywhere else in MA will become more diverse. As it already is. Central MA in particular with Puerto Ricans and Africans and Asians in select areas.

See Marlborough, Fitchburg, Southbridge, Worcester, Leominster, Shrewsbury etc...
Marlborough and Fitchburg are inside 495. If you’re referring to “there be dragons” Central Massachusetts, there’s minimal inward migration. The geographic center of Massachusetts is Rutland. The towns west of there aren’t seeing many Asians, Africans, and Puerto Ricans.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
Alot to unpack here. Most of it not great. Let's start with you premise that's diversity and inclusion are "liberal ideals". Is your rant implying that conservative ideals are racial seperation and segregation? Yikes.
Depends on how you define conservative. In 2020, it’s not unreasonable to define it as a George Wallace populist from 1968. Trump’s core. If that’s the definition you’re using, then conservative == segregation is how it is. That’s quite different from the eastern intellectual conservative view before the Bible Belt took over the Republican Party.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:32 AM

4,693 posts, read 3,473,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendale View Post
Not sure what schools you looked at in Worcester, but my neighborhood school is Nelson Place for Elementary and Forest Grove for Middle. Nelson Place School was just totally redone last year and of all the schools my kids went to Forest Grove in my estimation had the best teachers. Granted this was about 15 years ago, but both went to Worcester Public Schools pre-k to High School & then college & both have good jobs downtown.

The general neighborhood while still mostly white has had an increasing amount of non-white families moving in the last few years. When I pass the bus stop in the morning on the way to work there are kids of all colors waiting for the bus.

One of the things about Rutland that I hear alot is that commuting either into Worcester or to I190 is very tough due to the traffic. Just something to look into. I have lived in Worcester for 32 years after graduating from college and we have been very happy here.
I am raising two boys (one mixed) in Worcester. We live off of Tatnuck Square. I would stay in Worcester over moving out to Rutland.

I have one in West Tatnuck and I can't say enough good things about that school. My other son goes to Burncoat Middle and despite what it's rating is it is a good school. You have to dig deeper then just test scores. At work we have co-op students from Worcester Tech. They are some really good kids. I truly enjoy interacting with them.

If the OP is looking at Rutland I am going to doubt Shrewsbury or any of the west of Worcester suburbs are in their budget.

Last edited by magicshark; 06-10-2020 at 06:01 AM..

Old 06-10-2020, 06:34 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Marlborough and Fitchburg are inside 495. If you’re referring to “there be dragons” Central Massachusetts, there’s minimal inward migration. The geographic center of Massachusetts is Rutland. The towns west of there aren’t seeing many Asians, Africans, and Puerto Ricans.
Fitchburg is ~15 miles outside 495. West of the center, the Springfield area is quite diverse.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Fitchburg is ~15 miles outside 495. West of the center, the Springfield area is quite diverse.

I lost my brain. I was thinking Framingham. F-whatever. Close enough.

Springfield isn't central Massachusetts.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/20.../massachusetts

Look at the town-by-town Presidential election results from 2016. Once you get west of Worcester, it's Trump country. Recall the Trump demographic. White. Low percentage of college degrees. Very different from the demographics of most places east of Worcester which are far more multicultural. If I were the OP, I'd be reluctant to move to a town that shows salmon or dark red on that NY Times Presidential election map.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:16 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,669 times
True, Springfield is not Central MA. And yes, the MA Trump belt (besides some tacitly racist ‘burbs) is western Worcester County, and the eastern and western fringes of Hampden County. Most of Western MA is blue on the map, even the rural towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts