Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 12:23 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m wondering which is higher risk of getting gunned down visiting the Apple Store when an iPhone or iPad locks up? Providence Place or Braintree?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I'd have to go with Providence Place, although I did see an attempted stabbing at the plaza, once.
Getting gunned down? I'd say South Shore Plaza.

Getting robbed and/or beaten? Providence Place Mall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 12:31 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
According to Twitter via an employee at the primary. A man saw his baby mama and daughter with another dude, a fight ensued in target , then spilled into the middle of the mall then two people pulled out guns and an innocent bystander got shot.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:47 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
https://turnto10.com/news/local/poli...g-in-braintree

"BRAINTREE, Mass. (WJAR) — Police have identified the man who was arrested following a shooting in Braintree, Massachusetts late Friday afternoon.
Officers charged Jose Rodriguez, 21, of Boston, with the following:
  • Assault to murder
  • Assault and battery by discharge of a firearm
  • Assault and battery on a child with substantial injury
  • Reckless endangerment of a child
  • Carrying a firearm without a license
  • Possession of a firearm without FID card
  • Unlawful possession of ammunition
  • Discharge a firearm within 500 feet of a building
  • Trespassing with a firearm"

Old 07-04-2020, 08:03 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Metal detectors coming to SSP?

Old 07-05-2020, 04:52 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Metal detectors coming to SSP?
I was just going to say that. I wonder if any malls nationwide have implemented it yet? Cambridgeside is another likely venue for this crap -- or is it more upscale now that's it's not called Cambridgeside Galleria anymore?

So why couldn't Simon Properties check shoppers upon entering? Long overdue. Who'd venture back there until they feel safe? It'll be costly, but this mall and others ikely won't survive without better protection.

An 8-year-old was shot and killed in an Alabama mall this same day!

So it appears the 15-year-old girl was not involved with the groups, but just a bystander.

And just off the food court near the restrooms (food court maybe not re-opened yet due to Covid?) is a small police office, I think an official Braintree police office? I often see Braintree police walking around the mall....not sure if it's a regular requirement and if it's just a presence on the main level (and just one or two officers in the entire mall?).

Good luck to the mall in recruiting employees, especially teens.

Hmmm...I guess I'm only one here stupid enough to admit to quickly wondering where the shooters reside and which nationality/race?

Well, he's from some part of "Boston" and has a Spanish-sounding name. Yes, I expect some account suspension, warning or backlash for saying what likely many here and everywhere locally were thinking but not dare saying?

Old 07-05-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I was just going to say that. I wonder if any malls nationwide have implemented it yet? Cambridgeside is another likely venue for this crap -- or is it more upscale now that's it's not called Cambridgeside Galleria anymore?

So why couldn't Simon Properties check shoppers upon entering? Long overdue. Who'd venture back there until they feel safe? It'll be costly, but this mall and others ikely won't survive without better protection.

An 8-year-old was shot and killed in an Alabama mall this same day!

So it appears the 15-year-old girl was not involved with the groups, but just a bystander.

And just off the food court near the restrooms (food court maybe not re-opened yet due to Covid?) is a small police office, I think an official Braintree police office? I often see Braintree police walking around the mall....not sure if it's a regular requirement and if it's just a presence on the main level (and just one or two officers in the entire mall?).

Good luck to the mall in recruiting employees, especially teens.

Hmmm...I guess I'm only one here stupid enough to admit to quickly wondering where the shooters reside and which nationality/race?

Well, he's from some part of "Boston" and has a Spanish-sounding name. Yes, I expect some account suspension, warning or backlash for saying what likely many here and everywhere locally were thinking but not dare saying?
Not sure about the gang bangers these days, but back when I worked there (mid 2000sish) most of the theft was from Dorchester/Mattapan. On race and nationality, it varied.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:25 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
People don’t even remember the 2017 shooting. They won’t remember this either they’ll be fine. No one thinks they’ll get shot at SSP. The shooter was a 21 year old Latino man from Boston-woopdeedoo.

I was at Providence place that day. Totally fine, never feared getting robbed.

Westgate malls the only one around here that actually feels sketchy.

Old 07-05-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
People don’t even remember the 2017 shooting. They won’t remember this either they’ll be fine. No one thinks they’ll get shot at SSP. The shooter was a 21 year old Latino man from Boston-woopdeedoo.

The garage at PPM certainly feels sketchy after dark, I know several people who have had problems there over the years. The mall itself during the day, not so much. SSP and PPM are both still busy viable malls, so most people won't feel intimidated there due to the fact that they are still dominated by legit visitors. It's the dying malls like Westgate where the bad element sticks out more. But saying that, when it comes to those places Silver City honestly felt sketchier than Westgate (which just felt empty more than anything) last I would have been there.

Old 07-05-2020, 07:41 AM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
I haven’t been to Westgate in a long time. Silver City used to be decent, then shootings started to happen there.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:45 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

You seem to be treating the shooting of a 15 year old girl (innocent bystander) as no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts