Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 09:31 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ohLibrary View Post
What about Grafton/N. Grafton?
Don't know by your post how close or far out North you are from Chicago? Are you looking for a suburban or city-like place to live? Grafton is famous for Tufts Veterinary School. It has some small local farms, a nice old Inn at the town common, a great brick oven pizza place Anzio's, many hills and twisting and narrow roads on the West side. It's a very quiet town, if that is what you are looking for. I have a feeling you are looking for a bit more populated place.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 07-07-2020 at 09:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 10:16 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:

Is there cross country skiing in the winter?
Great Brook Farms in Carlisle and Weston Ski Track are popular local cross country tracks near Boston. Great Brook Farms is very scenic and New Englandy. Weston Ski Track is just sort of a big open space, next to the intersection of two major highways and a subway line. I know folks who X-country ski in very remote places on ungroomed trails deep in the woods. Not recommending that.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:38 AM

4,693 posts, read 3,473,160 times
Quote:
Wow, thanks for all the feedback. I can live with BJs instead of Costco. Budget- between $300,000 and a mill? Time for commute - no more than 30 minutes driving. Is there a shuttle from Union Station (in Worcester?) to UMass Med?

Is there cross country skiing in the winter?
That is quite a price range! $300,000 is not feasible in this area though. I live in the Tatnuck area of Worcester and there is nothing here for under maybe $350,00ish. It will be small and need work at that price. Now on the realtor sites you will see houses for less then that. Don't be fooled! Those all end up in bidding wars and go for much more then listed. I am going to guess The Salisbury Street area of Worcester as well as some of the nicer towns around here are the same.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:43 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Does the Lifetime fitness in Framingham have a pool and/or indoor track?

Old 07-08-2020, 07:28 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
What about Grafton/N. Grafton?
Nice if very white place. There are no ethnic restaurants or anything in town - there are very few restaurants at all in town , but you'd be going into Worcester for most things anyway.

Market 32 in Sutton is right outside the south end of Grafton (even from there, you're only looking 15-20 minute commute) and IMHO a very nice grocery store. There is a Stop & Shop next to the lake in the middle of Grafton. That lake hosts a lot of ice fishers when it's actually cold enough in the winter.

Wyman-Gordon on MA-122 in North Grafton almost in Millbury is a large factory with a cold-war era giant 50,000 ton hammer forge. I have no idea if it's noisy or not.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:18 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,342,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Nice if very white place. There are no ethnic restaurants
What about king Jade II and Cancun

Jokes aside, if OP wants some sort of city amenities is going to be Worcester or east of Worcester.
South is kind of suburban, west and north are rural (MA rural, not WY rural of course).

Grafton is very well located in term of transportation with the commuter line to Boston and the Pike.
There is Tufts veterinary school in town but don't think it's a college town, there is no college town vibe at all in Grafton.
Ultimately Grafton a quite place well connected to the surroundings that allows you to go grocery shopping in town and pretty much nothing else to do.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:22 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Wyman-Gordon on MA-122 in North Grafton almost in Millbury is a large factory with a cold-war era giant 50,000 ton hammer forge. I have no idea if it's noisy or not.
It's only really noticeable if on site, but my larger concern is it is effectively an operational brownfield like their former Worcester site. The site maintains some rather precious military contracts so I'm doubtful the EPA has full teeth when it comes to addressing past sins.

This said, I don't know why OP, given their price range, would choose Grafton over Flagg/Salisbury Worcester or the north side of Shrewsbury (tax/services advantage), or if looking for something a bit more 'woodsy' Boylston or even Holden.

IMO, Grafton's appeal starts and stops with it's 90 access. It's no Shrewsbury despite transplants conflating the two. I'm being a bit harsh here, but there are better neighborhoods within OPs budget which place them closer to diverse dining options and retail.

I'd personally choose Flagg St. area if I could tolerate the tax rate. Great bang for your buck if schools are a non-issue.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:26 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
This said, I don't know why OP, given their price range, would choose Grafton over Flagg/Salisbury Worcester or the north side of Shrewsbury (tax/services advantage), or if looking for something a bit more 'woodsy' Boylston or even Holden.
Something I totally forgot about!

A house assessed at $340k.
In Worcester, it's tax bill is $5700
In Shrewsbury, tax is $4200
In Grafton, $5700

All those numbers are probably pretty low for someone used to Chicagoland

Old 07-08-2020, 09:45 AM

787 posts, read 780,885 times
Quote:

In Grafton, $5700

Yeah, and in Westborough that house would run you $6,200 in property taxes.

And at an annual average usage of 10,972 kWh that would be around $1,300 for the year in electricity for Shrewsbury.

Not sure who Grafton or Worcester uses for a utility company, probably National Grid or some other one which is definitely more expensive than a town with it's own electric company, like Shrewsbury.

If you're spending $0.23 per kWh after adding in delivery and supply/any other fees that same house could cost you $2,500 per year in electricity in Grafton/Worcester.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:50 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:

In Grafton, $5700

It's not just tax rate. Shrewsbury and Grafton have their own CO-OP light/power Co's and internet services ... at least Shewsbury provides the latter, both provide the former. The services are superior to Worcester (i.e., more responsive management and far cheaper rates), but it's a rather under appreciated aspect to these towns and might not drive decision making.

For example, if you're someone who wishes to heat/cool via heat pump, you can do so cost effectively in Shrewsbury or Grafton without the capital outlay for solar. Not so in Worcester given N-Grid's rates. Depends on one's priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts