Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 12:53 PM

5,120 posts, read 2,698,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I'm going to humbly submit that the President of the United States declaring, repeatedly and with zero evidence, that mail-in ballots *will* lead to a rigged election is damaging and downright incendiary. It's not equivalent to you or I or any random C-D poster making irresponsible statements.

As everyone's experience here is indicating (including mine), at least the MA process is so far beyond reproach.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. As I said, I focus more on what elected officials do, than on what they say. I never defended the choice of the President's words here, my post related to the potential for voter fraud it did not relate to anything that was uttered by the President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 10:39 AM

176 posts, read 251,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Great news, and it should be the national standard.

Anyone who has the right to vote should be able to exercise that right as simply as possible.

It increases voter turnout thereby strengthening our democracy. We should all be in favor of this regardless of our party affiliation.
Agreed.
People have the right to vote and should have the tools to enable it like mail in ballot..
How many voter frauds have been found? Tens or hundreds, yet mail in ballot enables voting by millions.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:29 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,151,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. As I said, I focus more on what elected officials do, than on what they say. I never defended the choice of the President's words here, my post related to the potential for voter fraud it did not relate to anything that was uttered by the President.
One cannot claim fraud is hugely problematic simply because it feels like an opportunity to be exploited ... actions over rhetoric, right? To this point, data matters and even Heritage, home of perpetual voter fraud conspiracist Von Spakovsky, cannot manage to spin the data in a manner which suggests fraud is happening oat an impactful scale ... particularly for critical state/fed level seats ... and especially in MA.

This isn't to say fraud is non-issue, rather, I'm suggesting that those claiming fraud is happening at a large scale need to start providing real data to support their position. Fever-dreams of potential fraud, however intuitive as they feel, do not provide valid support of a position.

Additionally, if we're now suggesting that a politician's actions carry greater weight their rhetoric, then I'd argue recent Trump/GOP litigation in state's like TX and PA suggest Trump's rhetoric should be taken literally ... that is assuming the fraud concerns are real and it's not simply voter suppression masquerading as 'fraud protection'. Fortunately, state supreme courts have resounding sided against these petitions (see TX, PA). From my position, I see plenty of fraud fear-mongering, little evidence supporting it, and actions which assume the rhetoric is founded (it's not). It's not the rhetoric which concerns me, it's the active litigation underlying the rhetoric.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 11-02-2020 at 10:38 AM..

Old 11-03-2020, 04:38 PM

5,120 posts, read 2,698,040 times
*rolls eyes*

Old 11-05-2020, 08:47 AM

7,932 posts, read 7,837,797 times
Here's a basic question.

If...let's say if the idea of fraud via the post office was an argument.

Well we had social security live checks issued for tens of millions of Americans from the 1930's to about ten years ago. That's 70 or so years of SSN's being passed around. SSN's are the easiest way of committing forms of ID fraud as it is literally the defacto ID of the nation (moreso than drivers licenses). It is the basis by which that credit is tied to via a credit report and credit score.

How much fraud is there is in social security? About 0.4%
Fact Sheet: How much waste, fraud, and abuse is there in Social Security? | Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget

Old 11-05-2020, 09:39 AM

433 posts, read 417,036 times
Moved to Mass. from Colorado and am really surprised you all don't have mail in voting.
Trump pissed off a lot of cowboys and coal miners in CO with that crap. Mail in voting is loved and has become tradition there. Can't understand why he would accuse his own base of doing it wrong.

Old 11-05-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
Moved to Mass. from Colorado and am really surprised you all don't have mail in voting.
Trump pissed off a lot of cowboys and coal miners in CO with that crap. Mail in voting is loved and has become tradition there. Can't understand why he would accuse his own base of doing it wrong.
It has not been viewed a huge need in this state as the towns are relatively dense (i.e., polling stations are close) and early voting remains an option weeks in advance.

Old 11-05-2020, 10:53 AM

433 posts, read 417,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
It has not been viewed a huge need in this state as the towns are relatively dense (i.e., polling stations are close) and early voting remains an option weeks in advance.
You can do the same in CO, it's just every registered voter receives a ballot in the mail. Less hoops to jump, less tax money spent, more voter participation.

Old 11-05-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
You can do the same in CO, it's just every registered voter receives a ballot in the mail. Less hoops to jump, less tax money spent, more voter participation.
I'd love to see it - we'll see if VBM this cycle challenges the previous status quo within MA.

Old 11-07-2020, 06:03 PM

6,191 posts, read 5,135,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Here's a basic question.

If...let's say if the idea of fraud via the post office was an argument.

Well we had social security live checks issued for tens of millions of Americans from the 1930's to about ten years ago. That's 70 or so years of SSN's being passed around. SSN's are the easiest way of committing forms of ID fraud as it is literally the defacto ID of the nation (moreso than drivers licenses). It is the basis by which that credit is tied to via a credit report and credit score.

How much fraud is there is in social security? About 0.4%
Fact Sheet: How much waste, fraud, and abuse is there in Social Security? | Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget
You're making too much logical sense. Of course, there's no credence to the "mail-ins are fraud" argument...but say it often enough, with zero evidence, and there are cultists who will believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts