Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 02:17 PM

17 posts, read 11,355 times

Advertisements

My Wife and I are searching for a house/condo/townhome. I've posted before but we've evaluated advice we have been given here and elsewhere and have adjusted our criteria to have more realistic expectations.

Criteria:

Welcoming community: Welcoming to new people. Generally Friendly feeling. Limited exposure to Newburyport suggests this community is friendly for comparison to others places.
Quaint town with charm, sense of community and things to do.
Good dinning options. We enjoy eating out.
House/condo/townhome has green space. Yard can be small. This is an adjustment from previous posts as the other things we desire are more important than lot size.
Commuting options would be nice (i.e commuter rail) but not an absolute.
Schools Don't suck. Our threshold for school performance is high. We grew up in states with much lower performing schools. As long as the community is safe the school rating is less important.
Max budget is 950K but 600-800 would be preferable.

We work in the LMA area but are prepared to deal with a commute.

Previous suggestions of Andover, Newburyport, Marblehead and Westborough seem like good matches on paper but trying to see where else we should give careful consideration given our relaxation on lot size/home size.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 03:17 PM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
You’d want to be where there are lots of other recent transplants. Easier to fit in and make friends.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
You’d want to be where there are lots of other recent transplants. Easier to fit in and make friends.
any suggestions?

Old 07-15-2020, 05:27 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,428,446 times
With a budget to $950K and a commute to Longwood you could look closer in, like Melrose, Arlington, Dedham, Milton, maybe Hingham.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:20 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
There are a few properties on the market in Needham in the higher end of the OP's range. I would up the budget and look there. It's a charming, aesthetically pleasing town, and you'd have the best commute to Longwood of the Boston suburbs. Possibly you could have Medfield as a backup. More country than Needham, it has a cute town center and you could drive and park on the Needham line from there.

To the North you could look in Winchester. It's a pretty town and an easy commute to North Station and then the orange line to Ruggles.

Newburyport, Westborough, Andover are all charming towns but would be insane commutes.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 07-16-2020 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-16-2020, 10:32 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Andover is not an insane commute. It is a typical Boston suburban commute. 1 hour typical. 1.5 hours on a busy day. My daughter commutes to Deaconess Beth Israel. To Cambridge would be less. There is commuter rail for those who schedule it fits. Schools are excellent. Walkable, quaint downtown with shops and restaurants. It ticks all the OP's wants.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:08 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Newburyport, Westborough, Andover are all charming towns but would be insane commutes.
I was wondering where Westborough came from... LOL

Nice town, but OP can afford a much nicer commute! I'd rather that commute than the commute from Marblehead or Newburyport though.
I commuted a while to across the street from the BSO - Worcester -> Back Bay -> Walk 10 minutes to the office took about 90 minutes. Westborough would cut out 20 minutes.
OR Natick would cut out about 60

Old 07-16-2020, 12:42 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
I'd look for a condo or townhome in Newton. Maybe Brookline, but it would definitely be a condo there. Basically, I think Brookline would be ideal if price were no object, but it will be impossible to find what you really wanted -- but you might find something you like with your revised criteria. Newton will have a little more in your price range (albeit the upper end).

I also don't understand where Westborough came from. In budget, but not what I'd pick.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I'd look for a condo or townhome in Newton. Maybe Brookline, but it would definitely be a condo there. Basically, I think Brookline would be ideal if price were no object, but it will be impossible to find what you really wanted -- but you might find something you like with your revised criteria. Newton will have a little more in your price range (albeit the upper end).

I also don't understand where Westborough came from. In budget, but not what I'd pick.
Clearly there's something I don't know. Given the current situation we haven't really gone out and explored these places in person. Which is why I was asking for Advice to narrow in places for when we do feel comfortable going out again.

Is Westborough not a quaint friendly community as I've been led to believe? What am I missing?

Old 07-16-2020, 01:00 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtothenortheast View Post
Is Westborough not a quaint friendly community as I've been led to believe? What am I missing?
Never saw it as particularly either. It's desirable due its proximity to local tech jobs, while having top schools with plenty of shopping and other amenities. It wouldn't be my first choice if I was commuting to the Longwood medical area, although it would perhaps be better than Andover or Newburyport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts