Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 09:53 AM

7,932 posts, read 7,837,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That's the one flown by New England Revolution Soccer fans at games. I guess I could get on board switching back to that one.

https://newengland-mp7static.mlsdigi.../fort_DLsm.jpg
There was a funny event in the late 90's with this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_New_England

How do you copyright something and then tell governors they should consider it historical and use it

Having weapons raised up with hands is more associated with hezbollah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 10:46 AM

1,547 posts, read 1,134,280 times
Being from California, I always thought it was weird that nobody here knew what MA's flag looked like, or that it wasn't proudly flown anywhere (like it is everywhere in CA). Actually, any New England state flags for that matter. Now I see why.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:30 AM

2,280 posts, read 1,348,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Massachusetts had Indian slaves back in the 1600s. Generally, they were sold/traded to the West Indies. The Pequot War and King Philip’s War produced a lot of slaves. And then there’s the notorious Lord Jeffrey Amherst smallpox blankets during the French & Indian War. I’d be fine with a less tone deaf state seal and flag.
400 years have passed though, none in MA is in favor of enslaving people today and the flag is not used by extremists to promote their ideas(this happens with the confederate flag) and the flag was not in use 400 years ago.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:54 AM

9,897 posts, read 7,249,396 times
I'd go for the "sacred cod" on a white field.

Old 07-17-2020, 12:35 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,151,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Being from California, I always thought it was weird that nobody here knew what MA's flag looked like, or that it wasn't proudly flown anywhere (like it is everywhere in CA). Actually, any New England state flags for that matter. Now I see why.
Indeed. As a 'creative' working within 'creative teams', this subject has become a rather tired rant ... often triggered by a designer on staff who wears CO and MD themed gear. The west definitely has superior iconography and, as a result, I see it more often in eastern MA than our own flag.

I'm up for something new on the basis that our flag sucks graphically. I don't need a deeper ethical reason.

Old 07-17-2020, 12:54 PM

21,723 posts, read 12,866,068 times
its ugly. change it just because it's ugly, and boring.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:05 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,746,880 times
Leave it alone. I always liked that flag and if we take the Native American off that's one more step in forgetting the indigenous people who were already here when white people arrived. Do we want to wipe out every memory of them? This is getting so crazy. Are they going around looking for things they can change, like our state's name? How about Connecticut? How about eradicating all memory of Native Americans? Ridiculous. There are more important things to do.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:58 PM

14,041 posts, read 15,070,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
its ugly. change it just because it's ugly, and boring.
“Seal on a sheet” is the standard for city/state flags in New England barring the New England flag. They all stink.

Ohio, Texas, Maryland all have cool flags. We can too.

Old 07-18-2020, 01:23 PM

12,564 posts, read 9,654,327 times
I've never really looked at it before, but it's hard for me to make heads or tails of. The indian is in the blue field while the arm holding the sword is sort of levitating in another part of the image. Even the state motto: "By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty"...leaves me thinking - what does that mean? It seems to me that the way you create peace by the sword is by impaling and hacking people to death... which seems a pretty savage motto for the state.

Old 07-18-2020, 01:45 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,746,880 times
It's been our state flag for a long time and I think there are better things to do than to change it because we want a "cool flag." The native Americans were here first and were really important and helpful to the first settlers. We wouldn't be here without them. So why not have one on our state flag.

The motto doesn't align with the picture on the flag, I will grant you that. But I suspect they wanted to honor the native Americans and somehow honor the fact that we believe in fighting for liberty. Somebody did a strange job of trying to make the flag say what they meant it to say, that's all. If you have to replace it, I hope you keep the native American; unlike a cod or some other replacements, he would represent the entire state, not just the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts