Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 01:18 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I should have added that if you are confident that you will still need to commute 4 days a week to Waltham, even though you are comfortable with an hours commute, there may be better options. You'd have to come here and evaluate look and feel X commute X budget X schools X intangibles.

I see you want more house and a healthy amount of land, so I do think your list makes sense. Bedford and Lexington (depending on budget) are right up your alley based on what you've told us. Lexington is one of the most expensive towns in Greater Boston, and my gut tells me you may actually prefer Concord.

Burlington, at least to me, feels a bit different than some of those metrowest towns and those a bit removed from 95. More built up, more commercial and office space, more 60s70s80s style ranches and the like. But, it might be the perfect fit for all I know. Definitely a lot of modern conveniences in town, and a great location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,098 times
Thanks for everyone's reply.

I think we're leaning to Westford at the moment
It has some gorgeous BIG houses, which are in budget, great schools from what i've read, things to do are in close proximity and is close to the 495 for the Waltham commute, which i think would be 495 - rt3 - i95... The office is literally the other side of Cambridge reservoir, so not Waltham proper, i guess. It also has it's Puma HQ there. My wife is in sports marketing, so you never know.

We'd have to rent to start, get our kids settled and happy in school and all being well, go for it.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Just throwing this out(even if out of price range)

Parts of Newton actually resemble the english village experience. Walk to local stores, walkable sidewalks, brick houses and victorians.

Brookline would be next but even more $$
Based on salary, down payment, and the preference for a modern house and a lot of space, Newton would be hard to imagine. But, I love Newton.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC77 View Post

It has some gorgeous BIG houses, which are in budget, great schools from what i've read, things to do are in close proximity and is close to the 495 for the Waltham commute, which i think would be 495 - rt3 - i95... The office is literally the other side of Cambridge reservoir, so not Waltham proper, i guess. It also has it's Puma HQ there. My wife is in sports marketing, so you never know.

We'd have to rent to start, get our kids settled and happy in school and all being well, go for it.
Feel free to DM me between now and decision time. Happy to give you further insight to Westford, Acton, and Concord in particular.

If you live South Westford, you actually cut straight through Concord to 2/95, or go back roads through Concord and Lincoln. If you live in East Westford, you'd hop right on rt 3 at Drum Hill, to 95. Either way, if traffic goes back to how it was (which, to be fair, I'd be surprised if even 75% of folks commute daily), i'd expect 50 minutes to Cambridge Reservoir. Without traffic, 30 minutes. I'd avoid the northern reaches of town (north of Nutting Rd) where homes are a bit cheaper.. Further commute, not quite as universally nice and scenic as the rest of Westford.

Nice areas (looking at location, not house itself)
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...57132459_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...57131433_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...57131389_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...18501593_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...57128747_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...23186592_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...57131416_zpid/

Westford global corporations include: Puma, Red Hat, Netscout, Juniper, and IBM (Westford/Littleton line). But, many folks work in Burlington, Waltham, and even Boston. Many travel weekly too - Heavy tech and management consulting like anywhere else around here. Mixed bag.

Last edited by mwj119; 08-03-2020 at 02:44 PM..

Old 08-03-2020, 01:48 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:

My oldest daughter used to work for Puma at that location. It was her 1st job after college.

Old 08-03-2020, 03:38 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I'd hate to kind of mention that but have you start thinking about Healthcare? I know that USA has how did Obamacare but it isn't exactly the same as NHS. Dental Care is not mandated so braces can tend to add a little bit up.

In terms of having a taste of home there are some stores that I know of that do carry British products is one of Northampton. There is a small chain call the British Beer Company I think there's a better place.

https://www.winsorhouseinn.com/take-out

the last time I was there was a fundraiser and he was elected governor and has been ever since.

the other and more obvious things are we drive on a different side of the road. We don't have a TV license but if you do like PBS they appreciate some money.

In terms of food you might notice high fructose corn syrup is in quite a bit of things it was used as a replacement for sugar in the 70s and they haven't changed back since.

Old 08-03-2020, 04:28 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:

So the office is in Reservoir Woods. IMHO, under normal commuting conditions you will be an hour each way easily from Westford.

FYI, Puma will be moving to Somerville in 2021 when their new HQ is built. Converse is at Love Joy Wharf in the West End, Reebok is in the Design Building in South Boston, and Saucony/Wolverine is in Waltham.

Old 08-03-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I'd hate to kind of mention that but have you start thinking about Healthcare? I know that USA has how did Obamacare but it isn't exactly the same as NHS. Dental Care is not mandated so braces can tend to add a little bit up.

In terms of having a taste of home there are some stores that I know of that do carry British products is one of Northampton. There is a small chain call the British Beer Company I think there's a better place.

https://www.winsorhouseinn.com/take-out

the last time I was there was a fundraiser and he was elected governor and has been ever since.

the other and more obvious things are we drive on a different side of the road. We don't have a TV license but if you do like PBS they appreciate some money.

In terms of food you might notice high fructose corn syrup is in quite a bit of things it was used as a replacement for sugar in the 70s and they haven't changed back since.
Please don't recommend British Beer Company, just don't.

I'm sure his new employer is providing health insurance, and probably dental, too. At any rate, he's worked in the US before so he knows how it works.

Old 08-03-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
So the office is in Reservoir Woods. IMHO, under normal commuting conditions you will be an hour each way easily from Westford.

FYI, Puma will be moving to Somerville in 2021 when their new HQ is built. Converse is at Love Joy Wharf in the West End, Reebok is in the Design Building in South Boston, and Saucony/Wolverine is in Waltham.
New Balance is in Brighton.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:50 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Note the Lincoln bastards made Winter Street one way (into Lincoln) so in the AM you will have to go around by getting on 128 for an exit or two. I don't believe it's possible to get to Reservoir Woods without doing so unless you went all the way down to 117 and went around that way.

Quote:
Yeah that's the danger of living in Westford. The commute won't be great, and if you lose the job, the next job would likely be in Boston or Cambridge where the commute would be horrifically bad. Renting sounds like a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts