Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 10:07 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,784,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Sandwich is very commutable to Boston. My parents live in Buzzards Bay and I get to Boston in 45 minutes whenever I travel back to VT from the Cape on weekday mornings. Maybe because of COVID, but there is no traffic heading into Boston in the morning at all. I hit NH in under an hour and 20 minutes every time I drive back on a Monday morning.
Yeah, that's because of the virus. Like I said, just the Southeast Expressway past like 6:30 AM would probably be a half hour. Distance wise it doesn't look that far but it really (was) that bad.

Quote:
I did a ton of it. You take the 6:30am departures or go the night before. I doubt I’d use Green if I lived in Sandwich but I could make an early flight from South Dartmouth in 40 minutes following the left lane 80 mph traffic. After 7:00, I’d budget an hour for the 3 or 4 mile backup on I-195 at the RI line where Barrington traffic comes in.
TF Green isn't exactly Boston, now is it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 11:26 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,631,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Yeah, that's because of the virus. Like I said, just the Southeast Expressway past like 6:30 AM would probably be a half hour. Distance wise it doesn't look that far but it really (was) that bad.

TF Green isn't exactly Boston, now is it.
I lived in Bourne and commuted to Braintree for 2 years and the commute was fine. Also, I lived in DC for 8 years and Boston traffic doesn't even come close. I take Route 24 up to 93 and its a breeze. I can't comment on going past Braintree to Boston but if worse came to worse I would do the Sandwich-Boston commute if need be. It wouldn't be ideal but it doesn't seem unbearable.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:42 PM

27 posts, read 23,953 times
Last question: Any thoughts on whether Berkshires or Cape Cod are much different in terms of mosquitoes or are they about the same? Seriously, I can't leave my front or back door without getting bitten. I don't use my backyard anymore. I just walked to the corner and back and have multiple bites through my clothing. I hadn't asked this before but realized that any place where I can walk out my door without mosquitos repellent or actually sit in my backyard and enjoy it would be a huge selling point.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I lived in Bourne and commuted to Braintree for 2 years and the commute was fine. Also, I lived in DC for 8 years and Boston traffic doesn't even come close. I take Route 24 up to 93 and its a breeze. I can't comment on going past Braintree to Boston but if worse came to worse I would do the Sandwich-Boston commute if need be. It wouldn't be ideal but it doesn't seem unbearable.
The Southeast Expressway might have been the most congested road in all of New England. Seriously. Consider yourself lucky, decent jobs in the South Shore are scarce.

Old 08-17-2020, 05:34 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,360,241 times
Quote:
They will be very disappointed.

Sandwich is not really commutable to Boston... maybe if you left at 5 AM or sometime around then. Figure past 6:30 just the Southeast Expressway would be a half hour.

Are you a realtor in Berkshires?

This is what I posted about the convenience to AIRPORTS for people who to work remotely.

"Sandwich is commutable to Boston and Providence airports and Hyannis has steadily added flights to NYC."

Old 08-17-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Are you a realtor in Berkshires?

This is what I posted about the convenience to AIRPORTS for people who to work remotely.

"Sandwich is commutable to Boston and Providence airports and Hyannis has steadily added flights to NYC."
If you were the Road Warrior type, then yeah you could live in Sandwich. You could live in a lot of places.

You aren't going to the office in the Seaport 5 days a week.

Old 08-17-2020, 05:37 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,360,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWDOC View Post
Last question: Any thoughts on whether Berkshires or Cape Cod are much different in terms of mosquitoes or are they about the same? Seriously, I can't leave my front or back door without getting bitten. I don't use my backyard anymore. I just walked to the corner and back and have multiple bites through my clothing. I hadn't asked this before but realized that any place where I can walk out my door without mosquitos repellent or actually sit in my backyard and enjoy it would be a huge selling point.
The state mosquito control is ever present in our neighborhood. The Cape has seasons of biting bugs. It starts with the gnats, then it's the mosquitoes, then from July to the August full moon it's the greenheads (the Sandwich beaches are notorious) during the day and mosquitoes at night. So if biting bugs are your bane, avoid the Cape.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:13 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,631,167 times
Quote:
If you were the Road Warrior type, then yeah you could live in Sandwich. You could live in a lot of places.

You aren't going to the office in the Seaport 5 days a week.
Some people truly are road warriors. I have employees who live 90 minutes away in VT and yet enjoy the commute as they can mentally unwind. They don't have traffic to deal with but they do have long mileage commutes. It just depends on the person. Other people wouldn't want to commute any more than 10 miles from home. Its really dependent on the person.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:15 AM

27 posts, read 23,953 times
Beachcomber4 - great to know!! such a bummer.....

Old 08-17-2020, 07:35 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWDOC View Post
I don't know about mosquitoes in general but southeast MA (not the cape per se though!) is the part of MA at most risk for EEE (spread by mosquitoes), while the Berkshires are the region with the least risk. Still a rare disease..for now.

I live in central MA pretty much surrounded by woods and don't consider staying outside after sundown because of mosquitoes.

Risk map for this year
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappvi...681ea57ee600a5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts