Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2020, 06:58 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,323,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This may be an age thing. I'm in my early 30s and work within 128. Most people I work with who are under 40 live with roommates or in 1-2 bedroom apartments with a partner and 1 or 2 children. Only 61% of Mass residents own, and that likely skews older and more rural. If you're a young couple living in Somerville, you're probably not among the 34% of Somerville residents who own and therefore are less likely to have a spare bedroom or office space. That's why so many people are looking to move to previously undesirable suburbs.

I don't know anyone who has a spare bedroom who is under 40. I'm sure they exist, but they're not working in higher ed/nonprofits. While I had hoped to buy a 2 bedroom condo next year, it's already looking like I'm priced out due to people in that situation moving further out into the burbs.
I'm barely over 40 but within the 128 loop, and while I don't have a spare bedroom per se, there's no roommates and we have more bathrooms than we do people. My wife is a nonprofit, but she also has me for income so it probably doesn't count. I do sometimes feel like our building is the only 100% owner-occupied on our block, though.

If we could do it, others can, too. Just be patient and you'll find your place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 07:04 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I'm barely over 40 but within the 128 loop, and while I don't have a spare bedroom per se, there's no roommates and we have more bathrooms than we do people. My wife is a nonprofit, but she also has me for income so it probably doesn't count. I do sometimes feel like our building is the only 100% owner-occupied on our block, though.

Dude the median HHI for Greater Boston is around $88K. If you can't relate to the average person, at least try humbling yourself a little bit?

Last edited by massnative71; 08-18-2020 at 07:35 PM..

Old 08-19-2020, 05:12 AM

560 posts, read 752,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Dude the median HHI for Greater Boston is around $88K. If you can't relate to the average person, at least try humbling yourself a little bit?
i don't think this was braggadocios. It was encouraging at the end.

Old 08-19-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
i don't think this was braggadocios. It was encouraging at the end.
You don't think the "if we can do it, others can too" (coming from somebody with a 500k/yr salary) is a little bit removed from reality? Is that kind of stuff really helpful to the average person?

Old 08-19-2020, 06:58 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,323,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You don't think the "if we can do it, others can too" (coming from somebody with a 500k/yr salary) is a little bit removed from reality? Is that kind of stuff really helpful to the average person?
500k? This is news to me. We're not even half that.

That said, 88k HHI is certainly enough to get within the 128 loop. Not a SFH in Back Bay or a big home in Lexington, but there's plenty of other options like Waltham and Brighton. The people bemoaning the expense of everything inside 128 also tend to be the same ones who will turn their noses at a tiny condo in an old building or being a 0-1 car family. If it's not SFH with off-street parking, they think it's crap, which is why pickings are slim for them within 128. Guess people need to pick their priorities.

I've never once in my life lived in a place larger than 1,500 square feet (and I am a parent). How large is your place?

Old 08-19-2020, 07:11 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,784,045 times
Quote:

That said, 88k HHI is certainly enough to get within the 128 loop. Not a SFH in Back Bay or a big home in Lexington, but there's plenty of other options like Waltham and Brighton. The people bemoaning the expense of everything inside 128 also tend to be the same ones who will turn their noses at a tiny condo in an old building or being a 0-1 car family. If it's not SFH with off-street parking, they think it's crap, which is why pickings are slim for them within 128. Guess people need to pick their priorities.

I've never once in my life lived in a place larger than 1,500 square feet (and I am a parent). How large is your place?
Even Condos in something like Waltham are mostly well over 300k. You aren't affording that at 88k.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:

Forgive me maybe I was confusing you with another poster...

Assuming you have 20% down (somewhat rare), and want to stretch yourself to the max borrowing 3X your salary...that affords you $330K. That is best case scenario for a first time buyer, most probably won't be able to swing that on that salary. What does that buy you inside 128 outside the ghetto? Maybe a rare, older <900 sq. ft. condo in Quincy or two? Either way, there is going to be a very small number of inventory in that range. Those without a downpayment, are looking at a max of $264K. Pretty bleak...

Old 08-19-2020, 07:51 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,926 times
Just out of curiosity what is considered inside 128? Gloucester is technically inside 128, would you consider that "inside 128?"
South I think the "border" becomes 93 and then Quincy but North?

Old 08-19-2020, 08:04 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,143,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Just out of curiosity what is considered inside 128? Gloucester is technically inside 128, would you consider that "inside 128?"
South I think the "border" becomes 93 and then Quincy but North?
My mental dividing line is Beverly. Gloucester/Rockport are getting "out there".

Old 08-19-2020, 08:17 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:

She's late 20s and I'm mid 30s and three years ago we though we'd never be able to buy in Boston (or Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline, etc.). While Jeffries Point is hardly Back Bay, we were able to swing it this year (even with a guest bedroom/office). We are under $200k combined HHI. The key for us was patience. We were able to create a budget that allowed us to put money aside for a down payment. in 2.5 years we saved enough for a down payment that essentially enables us to pay less for mortgage/taxes/homeowners insurance than we had been paying in rent.

You don't need to necessarily be making a fortune to buy inside of 128. You do need to be in a position where you can put money aside consistently enough to accumulate a reasonable down payment. Income is obviously the most important aspect of building savings, but there are a lot of other factors. There are people making under $50k, opting to live with their parents rent-free, driving a 10 year old car with no car payment, and putting $1k or more per month. There are people making $100k, spending $1,800 per month on a studio/1br, paying $400/mo on a car payment, going out to dinner regularly, buying all the things, and maybe putting away $100 or so (if that) per month.

Frankly, I wouldn't have been in a position to purchase a condo here without the boost from dual incomes. At least not for quite some time. So it's obviously harder for individuals on a modest salary. But it's certainly fair to say "others can too." Maybe not everyone (there is real inequity in the housing market here), but many people can, especially if they're patient and smart about budgeting/saving with an eye on long term goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts