Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 08:32 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,143,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Slugger View Post
Providence comes to mind. Although not MA still within commuting distance by car or train. Providence is pretty good for the price.
The question is, why would someone looking to escape a dense Boston building/neighborhood due to Covid move to another dense urban area? Simply because it's cheaper? Not throwing shade on Providence here ... it's a great small city ... just questioning the logic of that move.

I think it's more likely a young family living in a condo/apartment in Boston/Cambridge will decide the cash out and by a 1+ acre property in a towns like Acton or Harvard. I'm already seeing this happen at a small scale in my own social sphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 09:39 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
The question is, why would someone looking to escape a dense Boston building/neighborhood due to Covid move to another dense urban area? Simply because it's cheaper?
I think so. Is that so weird? There are people that are actually just priced out of Boston but still want to live in a city. Providence is a small city but being part of a large urban area feels a larger. Not Boston but still urban.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:40 AM

787 posts, read 781,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I think so. Is that so weird? There are people that are actually just priced out of Boston but still want to live in a city. Providence is a small city but being part of a large urban area feels a larger. Not Boston but still urban.
A couple people on my softball team are doing this. Everyone complains about the cost of living in Boston.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:40 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,143,562 times
Quote:
I think the motivation was there pre-Covid, but right now I'm not so sure of it.

Among older Millenials, the confluence of Covid-19 and peaking equality/demographic tensions is making dense urban areas a bit less appealing ... at least in this moment and especially for those considering children. This is particularly true for renters who might not have the quality of life of wealthier Bostonians.

This very well could mean buying a suburban-style house adjacent to urban areas, e.g., Belvedere in Lowell, Mines Falls in Nashua, Salisbury in Worcester, etc. Opinions on future WFH status are obviously a huge driver. Buyers are, IMO, likely to split the difference - SFH w/ yard, but immediate access to urban amenities once this blows over.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:34 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,127,911 times
Aren't rents in Boston falling? Or only for luxury apartments?

Old 08-12-2020, 11:35 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,926 times
Quote:
I think the motivation was there pre-Covid, but right now I'm not so sure of it.

Among older Millenials, the confluence of Covid-19 and peaking equality/demographic tensions is making dense urban areas a bit less appealing ... at least in this moment and especially for those considering children. This is particularly true for renters who might not have the quality of life of wealthier Bostonians.

This very well could mean buying a suburban-style house adjacent to urban areas, e.g., Belvedere in Lowell, Mines Falls in Nashua, Salisbury in Worcester, etc. Opinions on future WFH status are obviously a huge driver. Buyers are, IMO, likely to split the difference - SFH w/ yard, but immediate access to urban amenities once this blows over.
Yeah, if you are talking about right now things are messy. But honestly I don't think covid is going to have an impact on long term housing term and the protests can have an impact only if they turn into a persistent increase in violent crime, at the moment the data are very confused (homicides up in many cities but violent crimes overall down in the same cities) most likely again because of covid.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:02 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:

I think both of you are talking about two different types of people in these scenarios. I wouldn't have considered Providence pre-pandemic because of the commute and/or a job change and likely reduction in salary. But I'd certainly consider Providence now (if I hadn't committed to Boston) assuming the option to work remotely permanently is on the table. It offers more bang for the buck in terms of housing while still living in an appealing urban area. My girlfriend and I are in our late 20s/mid 30s, prefer an urban environment, and aren't hopping on the kids train for the foreseeable future.

But I think there's a different group, particularly some of the the older millenials (even the younger ones, we're all at least in our mid-20s at this point), that were not as enthusiastic about urban living before (but went for it due to convenience) and are looking to start/grow a family. This may be a tipping point for them. They may choose more suburban/exurban setup, or at least SFH w/ yard closer to urban amenities.

I think the smaller cities that had seen some of the Boston runoff will be hit the hardest if demand for urban living dips longer term. Cities like Lowell and Haverhill which had seen significant development in/around their downtown areas catering to buyers and renters priced out of Boston but still looking for urban living will probably be the first to see significant reductions in demand. Boston (and even Providence) at least has enough demand to weather some outflow for a while.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:25 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Quote:
Exactly - for 2 BR Cambridge condo money, one can be in a stately 4 BR+ house with a little yard on the east side of Providence or in Salisbury in Worcester.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:38 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Aren't rents in Boston falling? Or only for luxury apartments?
No, they’re definitely falling. At least 6% YOY in August but 2x the availability.

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/prope...renters-deals/

The lower end of the market seems to really have decreased with far more 2BRS in the $1400-2000 range

Old 08-12-2020, 12:56 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,784,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Exactly - for 2 BR Cambridge condo money, one can be in a stately 4 BR+ house with a little yard on the east side of Providence or in Salisbury in Worcester.
But how would you get to your job if you lived in Salisbury or Worcester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts