Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2020, 05:43 PM

16,229 posts, read 7,180,984 times

Advertisements

We live in Andover and looking for a suitable place to downsize. I know very little about Plymoth
but saw this link
https://www.sawyersreach.com/project/the-chapman/
Anyone familiar with this development, the location, and the company?
Please educate me about Plymoth - the vibe, access to beaches, town facilities, amenities such as hospitals, clinics, culture.
We are retired so schools are not of special interest but we would like to live in a community that values good public schools.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 07:58 PM

2,211 posts, read 5,382,190 times
The hospital is part of Beth Israel. The town is huge - largest land area east of the Mississippi with many different vibes from boho to upscale. Property tax rate is high and will probably go higher with Pilgrim going off the rolls and the fact that the 400th celebration that was expected to bolster tourism didn’t happen. I’ll be curious to see how the town fares with tourism in the future. The current climate didn’t seem to stop the interest when the Mayflower went through the canal. Maybe taking “plantation” out of the name of the living museum was enough to keep people at bay. I’m not familiar with the development but the area is lively - Colony Place is a mall with lots of retail, restaurants, housing and industrial parks. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2020, 06:46 AM

3,697 posts, read 7,475,955 times
You're missing a "u".

Old 08-23-2020, 01:25 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,868,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
You're missing a "u".
Somebody fixed it, thank goodness.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:14 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,735,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
The hospital is part of Beth Israel. The town is huge - largest land area east of the Mississippi with many different vibes from boho to upscale. Property tax rate is high and will probably go higher with Pilgrim going off the rolls and the fact that the 400th celebration that was expected to bolster tourism didn’t happen. I’ll be curious to see how the town fares with tourism in the future. The current climate didn’t seem to stop the interest when the Mayflower went through the canal. Maybe taking “plantation” out of the name of the living museum was enough to keep people at bay. I’m not familiar with the development but the area is lively - Colony Place is a mall with lots of retail, restaurants, housing and industrial parks. Good luck!
A minor correction. Plymouth is the biggest down by land area in Mass, not East of the Mississippi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymou...etts#Geography
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...cities_by_area

Old 08-23-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Somebody fixed it, thank goodness.
Thank you!

Old 08-24-2020, 08:22 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,868,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Thank you!
It wasn't me who fixed it. I will admit misspellings and grammatical errors tend to drive me up the wall though. It was probably one of this forum's mods who corrected the spelling. It's really important in a title because if something is spelled wrong, no one can find it in the future when they do a search.

As for Plymouth, I would live there in a heartbeat. Yet I know a couple who moved there and moved away again after less than a year. I'd love to be near the water and close to all that history. Only been there once or twice as a tourist but the air was clear and clean, the people seemed nice, the town was attractive. I don't know any more about it, unfortunately.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:09 AM

8,503 posts, read 4,606,772 times
My take - Plymouth is a great town for someone that doesn't mind being a bit far from urban life. It is by the water with beaches, great restaurants, enough shopping, a hospital, golf courses, etc... The weather is much milder in this part of Massachusetts than most of New England. Doesn't have the Cape's summer traffic or winter solitude with much shut down. Will need to drive a bit further to things than in the suburbs. A car is a necessity as mass transit is not a real feasible option.

My thinking is that it is probably a great choice for the early retirement years when people should still be healthy and active. My concern would be in the later years of life when a person may no longer be able to drive, have mobility issues, need more healthcare options, and might need more assistance from local family. Its remoteness (by Massachusetts standards) then works against it.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
My take - Plymouth is a great town for someone that doesn't mind being a bit far from urban life. It is by the water with beaches, great restaurants, enough shopping, a hospital, golf courses, etc... The weather is much milder in this part of Massachusetts than most of New England. Doesn't have the Cape's summer traffic or winter solitude with much shut down. Will need to drive a bit further to things than in the suburbs. A car is a necessity as mass transit is not a real feasible option.

My thinking is that it is probably a great choice for the early retirement years when people should still be healthy and active. My concern would be in the later years of life when a person may no longer be able to drive, have mobility issues, need more healthcare options, and might need more assistance from local family. Its remoteness (by Massachusetts standards) then works against it.
Thank you for your thoughtful comments. All those factors are important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts