Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2021, 10:47 AM

5,172 posts, read 2,736,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Arrested for what? Because someone drowned in his pool? I have never heard that is what typically happens when someone drowns in a pool you own.

The OT fraud is different...still not sure it should be an arrested offense...definitely should be charges but arrested I dont know...
There is no fundamental difference between being arrested and being summonsed to court. Arrests are generally only useful when someone needs to be taken off the streets immediately or if there is reason to think they won't appear in court. As for criminal charges, it is determined on a case by case basis by a prosecutor based on what whether there is enough evidence to support a criminal conviction. Many of these MA cops have been criminally charged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 07:57 AM

21,794 posts, read 12,954,959 times
^ the functional differenc is one is a major and visible deterrent one is much much less so.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:29 AM

12,978 posts, read 22,157,267 times
Quote:
I mean thousands of people have pool parties like this one and no one drowns. This one feels like an odd circumstance and guy who happens to be a former cop is going to be in trouble. I can't help but feel sorry for him.
It really isn't that odd a circumstance, it's just mostly not newsworthy when it happens (like just about any other misdemeanor charge) because the offense rarely ever corresponds with death or a major injury. It usually doesn't end up even in arrest logs because it generally involves a summons rather than an actual arrest. It happened to the home owners of two different parties I went to in high school - no accidents, no injuries, no deaths. One kid went home drunk and his parents called the police, and another kid left and got pulled over like right outside of the driveway where the cops were just waiting for someone to leave. No jail time, but I'd presume at least a fine in each case.

In this case, it would have been news no matter what the homeowner did for work because it was a drowning in a year that drownings are way up and very much in the spotlight. Being a former cop is added media fodder, but certainly not the basis for the story (I think the drowning was all over the news before we even knew who owned the home). It's hard for me to have a ton of sympathy for him. If anyone should have known the risks, it's a retired trooper. My sympathy is definitely more with the family of the kid whose life was cut short. He made mistakes too, but I expect less of a teenager's judgement than I do a retiree and the consequences were much greater for the kid and his family than the trooper.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:35 AM

16,798 posts, read 8,508,394 times
This is a reason I wouldn't want a pool. And I will never be that parent who allows parties. It is annoying that other parents out there do allow them or go away frequently leaving the kids home to do as they please.

This just seems like a perfect storm of events. Parent allows party to happen and someone drowns in the pool. I just have a hard time understanding how a 17 yr drowns in a pool at a party but it happened. Sure I feel bad for the family of the kid but did they know where their kid was ? If my 17 year old son went to a pool party I can't say I'd be expecting the parents to be watching the pool all night. I mean these are seniors in high school. They're practically men. They should know how to swim.

Retired cops don't necessarily know things that anyone else wouldn't. I mean look at the chief of police who just got an oui.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:48 AM

23,805 posts, read 18,948,360 times
Quote:
This is a reason I wouldn't want a pool. And I will never be that parent who allows parties. It is annoying that other parents out there do allow them or go away frequently leaving the kids home to do as they please.

This just seems like a perfect storm of events. Parent allows party to happen and someone drowns in the pool. I just have a hard time understanding how a 17 yr drowns in a pool at a party but it happened. Sure I feel bad for the family of the kid but did they know where their kid was ? If my 17 year old son went to a pool party I can't say I'd be expecting the parents to be watching the pool all night. I mean these are seniors in high school. They're practically men. They should know how to swim.

Retired cops don't necessarily know things that anyone else wouldn't. I mean look at the chief of police who just got an oui.

Accidents are accidents, but the bottom line is this guy provided/allowed alcohol for a group of minors.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:12 AM

12,978 posts, read 22,157,267 times
Quote:
Of course a retired trooper knows it's illegal to provide alcohol to people under 21. I'd be shocked if throughout his whole career he never encountered an instance where a kid under 21 got into some sort of trouble under the influence and the adult who supplied the kids wasn't charged. Just like the Mattapoisett chief absolutely knows it's illegal to drive under the influence. People do things they know they shouldn't all the time. This instance was ultimately an accident and certainly a worst-case scenario, but there's no way a retired state trooper doesn't know he's taking a big risk by hosting this type of event.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:53 AM

From what i read the kid who drowned hadnt even had any alcohol

Old 07-22-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Sure I feel bad for the family of the kid but did they know where their kid was ? If my 17 year old son went to a pool party I can't say I'd be expecting the parents to be watching the pool all night. I mean these are seniors in high school. They're practically men. They should know how to swim.

Retired cops don't necessarily know things that anyone else wouldn't.
What? What? What?

None of this makes sense.

They knew the kid was out at a graduation party. What they didn't know is an adult was providing him booze.

17 is practically a man? Really? I mean I guess. But he's not, he's a 17 year old kid.

Anyone who knows how to swim can still drown when inebriated.

A retired cop -What?? Of course, they do. They're often put into cushy positions after they retire that concern public safety.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
From what i read the kid who drowned hadnt even had any alcohol
what did you read?

Old 07-22-2021, 12:25 PM

“He was observed not drinking at the party. So to suggest that this kid was a drinker and partying and that it’s his fault is not true. He’s not a drinker. And he’s 10 days shy of his 18th birthday," defense attorney Brian Kelly said. "So it’s unfair to suggest that he was a toddler, unsupervised near a pool. That’s not what happened.'

https://www.patriotledger.com/story/...ng/8041855002/

and yes he was 10 days away from his 18th bday. 18 is when people are considered an adult and one wouldn't think they'd be drowning in a swimming pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts