Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 05:51 PM

23,792 posts, read 18,931,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
And you failed to argue why we can't in this case.

You are the one proposing dramatic change here. Shouldn't the burden be on you to prove that it is an effective and doable solution? Being able to google the percentage of government workers in Japan (which occupations are we even talking about here???) who do not receive OT, does not demonstrate you have a handle on the topic in any shape of form. Your credibility is diminishing by the post here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 05:53 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,784,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Not even an attempt to answer my question? Wow. Nobody here asked anything about some totally irrelevant apples to oranges comparison, such as IT or finance workers. This is strictly about emergency services ie. police, fire/EMS, etc. in the public sector. If you can't put together an informed argument for even the most elementary of issues to contend with, then I have no reason to believe you will be capable of answering the far more complex issues around your proposal.
I already told you how things can work, and you failed to point out why it cannot work in a similar way for police departments.

Now let me ask you again. Why can't there be a relatively higher base salary and eliminate OT?
Answer me directly.

Old 07-30-2021, 05:54 PM

5,168 posts, read 2,729,333 times
Quote:
What is the connection between human rights and OT of government employees?
I know logic is not your strength but this is still quite ridiculous.

Also China is just an example. In Japan, according to a survey in 2018, 54% government employees have to work 20 hours OT or more every week. And there is no compensation for that.
Yes, let's do logic. How is an authoritarian regime's treatment of their employees relevant to this discussion about police in Boston? Similarly, why do you wish to impose Japan's practices on government employees here? How will it improve policing?

Old 07-30-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
You are the one proposing dramatic change here. Shouldn't the burden be on you to prove that it is an effective and doable solution? Being able to google the percentage of government workers in Japan (which occupations are we even talking about here???) who do not receive OT, does not demonstrate you have a handle on the topic in any shape of form. Your credibility is diminishing by the post here.
Oh what I described works in private corporations, and works in PDs of other countries. All true.

Now please tell me why American cops have to have OT. Give me some concrete reasons please. Not just to list a bunch of useless facts which everybody knows.

Old 07-30-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Yes, let's do logic. How is an authoritarian regime's treatment of their employees relevant to this discussion about police in Boston? Similarly, why do you wish to impose Japan's practices on government employees here? How will it improve policing?
I am not wishing anything, I am suggesting there are ways to eliminate the OT thing.
We don't like the endless OT scandals from police officers. And if you have no solution, I suggest some big change. This is a forum so we can show all kinds of alternatives.

Old 07-30-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I already told you how things can work, and you failed to point out why it cannot work in a similar way for police departments.

Now let me ask you again. Why can't there be a relatively higher base salary and eliminate OT?
Answer me directly.

This topic is about policing, and no you did not explain how this could work in a police department. Your far out ideas of paying bonuses by number of arrests and cases solved, is laughable at best.

Start by answering this question, then we will go from there.

Quote:
In the event that you have any idea of what you are talking about (which I am not seeing so far), I probably have a thousand questions for you. Let's start with something very basic. Suppose a police department has officers doing a range of 45 hours a week to 105 hours a week on average at the extreme ends, with the average cop working 56 hours a week on average over the course of the year. How would you calculate and determine this new "universal base salary" you are proposing? Off of 56 hours? 105 hours? 45 hours? Depending on how you answer that, will help me determine whether it is worth discussing this further with you.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:04 PM

5,168 posts, read 2,729,333 times
Because it's more costly to have enough police officers online to handle every emergency, or investigation or special event. Because officers are out injured and sick and retired or leaving for other jobs. Because there are collective bargaining contracts. Because public safety is unpredictable. Because officers need to appear in court. That doesnt mean OT doesn't need to be properly managed, it means it's needed. Just because you hear about OT scandals doesn't mean the entire system needs to be scrapped it means certain areas need improvement. That said, never found a perfect organization. But if you're going to declare that police should be treated the same as office workers it helps to have an understanding of what they actually do and how the agencies actually run on a day to day basis. You don't.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
This topic is about policing, and no you did not explain how this could work in a police department. Your far out ideas of paying bonuses by number of arrests and cases solved, is laughable at best.

Start by answering this question, then we will go from there.
I already successfully refuted what you said there.

Many careers require OT and irregular hours. The usual (non-government) way is to make the compensation reasonable and transparent. So raising the base salary (but not flat or universal) and eliminating OT is a good solution.

Now tell me why it won't work, in your opinion. Be specific.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I am not wishing anything, I am suggesting there are ways to eliminate the OT thing.
We don't like the endless OT scandals from police officers. And if you have no solution, I suggest some big change. This is a forum so we can show all kinds of alternatives.

The alternative is one word. ACCOUNTABILITY. There are departments throughout the country, who have managed to not have this abuse while still using OT to fill open shifts and unanticipated workloads.

Do you even know a damn thing about policing in China, or is Google just trying to bail you out tonight?

Old 07-30-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I already successfully refuted what you said there.

Many careers require OT and irregular hours. The usual (non-government) way is to make the compensation reasonable and transparent. So raising the base salary (but not flat or universal) and eliminating OT is a good solution.

Now tell me why it won't work, in your opinion. Be specific.

I'll start to answer your question, when you answer mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts