Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 10:08 AM

23,772 posts, read 18,890,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Well, if Cantabrigian doesn’t murder anyone, I’m sure they’ll be fine.

Still waiting for some movement on Breonna Taylor’s killers, but it’s seeming more and more likely that lady justice won’t be seeing to them any time soon.

I won’t be holding my breath regarding Jacob Blake’s shooter. Following the Rittenhouse murders, everyone seems to have forgotten why people were riled up in the first place.
Point is that cops are far more likely to be investigated for murder (while doing their job by the book and didn't in fact murder anybody), than one in whatever occupation Cantabrigian does.

Jacob Blake was a thug, whether the shooting was justified or not I ain't weeping for him. He put himself in that situation and likely put many others in danger before it finally caught up to him. Oh well.

The Breonna Taylor situation is certainly tragic, and hard to fathom. Hopefully justice will be found there, whatever that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 10:13 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,557,244 times
It is sad that Breonna Taylor was killed but her boyfriend shot at police first.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:19 AM

23,772 posts, read 18,890,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
How many cops in their 20s or 30s do you think would tackle a 6'5" 250lbs guy on crack? Because I bet almost all of them would wait for backup. And, to be clear, they would be right to do so.
Well if they are conducting a traffic stop and it takes a sudden unexpected turn for the worse, waiting for backup might not be an option. Just an example. Of course it won't be pretty even with a younger cop, but they would be able to hold their own for longer and the odds are considerably better. Put too many older, out of shape and incapable cops out on the street; it starts becoming a liability where the criminal element will seize on those vulnerabilities and effectively put the public in greater danger.
Quote:
BTW if I complain about the retirement age I am not saying they should be deployed in the worst possible places. Cops could be relocated to low-risk assignment in the police force once they reach a certain seniority (or age) or they could be eligible for certain town/state jobs that are not policing. Or they could work in the private sector if they prefer. Their pension would still be based on their police job but it wouldn't be paid until they are 65 (or something).

I mean there are plenty of ways you can tweak this.
I agree to all of this, kind of what I poster earlier.

Quote:
Also, a really good deescalation training wouldn't just protect the public, would also protect the policemen themselves because the less they are in a fight the less they risk.
What is the academy like 20 weeks long? I can't imagine they don't already get a good amount of that already. Not all situations can be deescalated. I'm sure there is already room for improvement in that area of training, as with everything else.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:21 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,155,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
It is sad that Breonna Taylor was killed but her boyfriend shot at police first.
... because her boyfriend, a licensed fire arm owner, correctly assumed someone was breaking and entering her apartment. PD or not, no-knock is state sanctioned breaking and entering.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:30 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,945,002 times
Quote:
Her boyfriend shot at unidentified people breaking into her house. I doubt she ever knew he was shooting at cops. I can think of a laundry list of things that the police did wrong in that case, but can't think of anything she or her boyfriend did that wasn't legal or reasonable.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:35 AM

It was tragic, police handled it poorly but was it racist?

Old 09-03-2020, 10:35 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,053,223 times
Cop apologists are always okay with cops acting as judge, jury and executioner. It's bizarre.

Also, the whole "don't commit crimes if you don't want to be killed by a cop" trope is extremely ironic in a discussion about....cops committing crimes.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:46 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,053,223 times
Right, no corruption within the ranks! No blue wall of silence!

Old 09-03-2020, 10:46 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,155,468 times
Quote:
It was tragic, police handled it poorly but was it racist?
Maybe turn off the talking-heads for a bit so you can view situations with a rational unbiased mind.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:49 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Cop apologists are always okay with cops acting as judge, jury and executioner. It's bizarre.

Also, the whole "don't commit crimes if you don't want to be killed by a cop" trope is extremely ironic in a discussion about....cops committing crimes.
The discussion has gone off track. We’re no longer just talking about this overtime fraud thing.

I’m not a cop apologist but what about criminal apologists? When did we become a society that cares so much about criminals? I basically grew up thinking criminals are bad people and they make the decisions to break laws and police are there to protect everyone else from them. Unfortunately people could die in the process for doing things like shooting at police resisting arrest or running away from them. There have been situations where I’ve wondered why did the police feel the need to shoot but at the end of the day it’s just not something that I lose sleep over. Apparently a lot of other people do.

I do think there are a lot of accidental killings. The George Floyd case is awful, why the cop didn’t get off his neck is beyond me but I don’t believe he was trying to kill the man. Same with Eric garner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts