Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 03:09 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I could keep doing comps all day long, but there aren't really any suburbs with a material black population that are "highly regarded". It sucks.. There's no Flossmoor equivalent, for example.
There are just not that many non-hispanic black that live in Boston metro. It is the 3rd group at 7.5% and half live inside the city Boston, which means that excluding the city metro Boston has 200k non-hispanic black on a 4 million population, 5%. That's less than Minnesota overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 04:32 PM

16 posts, read 3,124 times
Quote:
Belmont/Winchester would be like Wilmette. Newton would be more like Skokie x Oak Park x Evanston, but without any real pockets of socioeconomic diversity. Needham would be like Glenview or Western Springs. Wellesley would be most like Hinsdale or Winnetka. Natick would be like Downers Grove.

I could keep doing comps all day long, but there aren't really any suburbs with a material black population that are "highly regarded". It sucks.. There's no Flossmoor equivalent, for example.
Thank you for this - it was helpful for my husband. I am from Champaign so I understood some of these and some of these suburb names went over my head. But he is from Chicago so he appreciate references

Old 09-07-2020, 04:51 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
There are just not that many non-hispanic black that live in Boston metro. It is the 3rd group at 7.5% and half live inside the city Boston, which means that excluding the city metro Boston has 200k non-hispanic black on a 4 million population, 5%. That's less than Minnesota overall.
Milton is the only suburb with a higher black population (14% or so) and decent schools.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:33 AM

One question about schools for anyone who may know. Do they usually start in September in MA or was that just because of COVID? I can start a new thread with that question as well or ask on Facebook I just thought someone on here might have some insight into that

Old 09-08-2020, 07:40 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2020-21 View Post
One question about schools for anyone who may know. Do they usually start in September in MA or was that just because of COVID? I can start a new thread with that question as well or ask on Facebook I just thought someone on here might have some insight into that
They usually start the day after labor day. This year labor day was very late in the year, so schools in my town were actually going to start the week before. With COVID, schools are permitted to start a couple of weeks later, which most are doing. Schools in my town start next Monday.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:31 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
I would recommend you drive thru the side blocks of Nonantum village of Newton sometime. Plenty of three deckers and other rental units, You’ll see occasional rusted out cars and unpaved ways. Maybe not skid row by any means but not the West Newton Hills mansions that most people on the forum and at large seem to think compose the entirety of Newton.

There’s one down by Needham Street, Upper Falls I think that has some very “lived in” neighborhoods as well.

What I’m saying is that Newton is a large city and the vibe can really vary village by village.
To be fair, in a prior post on this thread, I said the exact same thing.

Some villages/areas in Newton feel more legacy middle class.. Not aesthetically as nice as the sticker price would lead you to believe. Coming from the Midwest, those villages that you mentioned above might feel like "a lot". Triple deckers, unpaved ways, wires hanging in all directions. It's something that we noticed when we moved back to the Boston area, after spending a lot of time away. For that reason, my wife was never a big fan of Newton (in our price range).

Old 09-08-2020, 09:36 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Milton is the only suburb with a higher black population (14% or so) and decent schools.
My ignorance.. I didn't realize Milton had a material black population. Very good info.

OP, Milton is great. Very good school system, train into the city, and at $1.3M, you should be able to live in some of the more upscale parts of town. The major drawback of Milton is that it doesn't really have an active downtown/main street. And, you'll be looking at a 45 minute+ commute during normal rush hour.

So, based on this thread, it sounds like folks are really suggesting Belmont to the north, Newton/Needham, or Milton to the south.

Old 09-08-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
They usually start the day after labor day. This year labor day was very late in the year, so schools in my town were actually going to start the week before. With COVID, schools are permitted to start a couple of weeks later, which most are doing. Schools in my town start next Monday.

Great thank you. Schools where we are moving from start after Labor Day too and I didn’t realize a lot of districts still did that. So I wasn’t sure if that was just a situation with everything going on this year - thank you

Old 09-08-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
My ignorance.. I didn't realize Milton had a material black population. Very good info.

OP, Milton is great. Very good school system, train into the city, and at $1.3M, you should be able to live in some of the more upscale parts of town. The major drawback of Milton is that it doesn't really have an active downtown/main street. And, you'll be looking at a 45 minute+ commute during normal rush hour.

So, based on this thread, it sounds like folks are really suggesting Belmont to the north, Newton/Needham, or Milton to the south.

Thank you for the recap it is honestly a very overwhelming move this time around having older kids and I appreciate everyone’s advice. It really has helped us narrow down where we will look when we are able to come up so we don’t waste that time. I think the four you mentioned are what we are going with and hoping to narrow it to two before we come up house hunting. But it made our list much smaller so thanks again everyone!

Old 09-08-2020, 01:27 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
We are a racially diverse family too (white/black) with a middle schooler. Lived in Brookline for about 10 yrs and recently moved to the burbs. I am pretty familiar with Newton and some others towns. I do not consider Newton diverse. Schools are very good however. Frankly, there aren't many diverse areas in New England. A 20 min commute is hard around here. Traffic has been a ton better the past few months however (pandemic related).

Best of luck and welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts