Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 11:57 AM

8,506 posts, read 4,565,672 times

Advertisements

Trump and the Republican Party is doing everything they can to stop mail in voting. Saying otherwise is blatantly dishonest given all their words and actions on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 12:00 PM

23,580 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Trump and the Republican Party is doing everything they can to stop mail in voting.
They should be.

Mail in voting should specifically be reserved for those requesting it for valid reasons.

Last edited by massnative71; 09-16-2020 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-16-2020, 12:06 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Trump and the Republican Party is doing everything they can to stop mail in voting. Saying otherwise is blatantly dishonest given all their words and actions on it.

Truth. But blatant dishonesty is what right wingers do. If they cared about data, facts, truth, seeking knowledge... they wouldn't be right wingers. We all know this deep down.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:28 PM

8,506 posts, read 4,565,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
They should be.

Mail in voting should specifically be reserved for those requesting it for valid reasons.

A pandemic is a perfectly valid reason.

Besides, why should a valid reason be even necessary? It hasn't been a requirement for the parts of the nation that have been voting via this method for several years. The voters of Oregon overwhelmingly passed an ordinance for mail in voting back in 1998 (Measure 60) and they have been casting ballots for president via that method since 2000. They have had relatively few issues.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:01 PM

23,580 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
A pandemic is a perfectly valid reason.

Besides, why should a valid reason be even necessary? It hasn't been a requirement for the parts of the nation that have been voting via this method for several years. The voters of Oregon overwhelmingly passed an ordinance for mail in voting back in 1998 (Measure 60) and they have been casting ballots for president via that method since 2000. They have had relatively few issues.
But I bet you many of these same people find no problem in visiting restaurants and bars, Walmart...

Most polling stations are plenty equipped for proper distancing. Like I said, I have no problem with somebody in a high risk category voting by mail, but still no reason why they shouldn't be able to put in a request in advance.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Voter fraud is not a contrived concern- attempts to minimize the impact have no factual basis

Old 09-16-2020, 03:39 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Trump has backed down/rephrased his statements as he so often has to.

He is not against mail in ballots like those requested then returned by people including himself and his wife.

He is against mailing ballots to all registered voters and calls it potential for voter "fraud". He is trying to shut down one avenue for disenfranchised/disgusted voters that would probably not go to the polls but will vote "for change" if they have a ballot in front of them and the majority of those votes will not be for him.

Were I on his reelection committee, I would be advising the same thing.
The "Lee Atwater" school of campaign strategy, no doubt.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Voter fraud is not a contrived concern- attempts to minimize the impact have no factual basis
Cite your statistics please. It's quite the contrary. There are at least 5 states that have conducted almost exclusive mail-in voting for almost a decade, so we have credible numbers that do not prove this out.

Remember the commission headed by Kris Kobach to supposedly uncover voter fraud in the 2016 election? Unceremoniously disbanded because the whole notion was a crock to begin with.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
But I bet you many of these same people find no problem in visiting restaurants and bars, Walmart...

Most polling stations are plenty equipped for proper distancing. Like I said, I have no problem with somebody in a high risk category voting by mail, but still no reason why they shouldn't be able to put in a request in advance.
Very flippant attitude. First of all, bars are closed in MA (thank God) because they've been a proven source of Covid spread. Second, there are many many people (myself included...in none of the risk groups and relatively good health) who have refrained from going to even outdoor dining during this pandemic. And, we even got groceries delivered at the peak back in April.

Who are you to overrule their very legitimate concerns about going to an indoor polling place, potentially having to wait in line, when there is a safe alternative available?

Old 09-16-2020, 05:02 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,750,142 times
Here in SC, Republican controlled, the Election Commission voted to buy 60 mail ballot drop off boxes. No need to mail a requested ballot in. Just drop it in any ballot box. The Republican legislators killed that idea fast.

Let me ask: What was wrong with that idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts