Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 09:46 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,143,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Is there any evidence the Franklin Clerk's actions were borne of anything more than incompetence?

I would say one of the only advantages of being in a state with few close elections is that voting itself isn't contentious.
She, Teresa Burr, claims it was sheer incompetence and this was the town's response to her acknowledgement of error and resignation:

Thomas Mercer, chairman of Franklin's Town Council, accepted Burr's resignation while offering a statement of his own.

"I want to assure the voters of Franklin that our current Town Clerk office staff, in conjunction with assistance from the Secretary of the Commonwealth’s team, will conduct a flawless election in November and beyond," Mercer said. "While the events of the past two weeks have certainly caused some concern in town, I am confident in the ability of the Town Clerk office staff, our election workers, and collective town staff to support them as they work tirelessly toward November."

Given the current data set, a state primary is the most likely election in which one can find larger scale 'conspiratorial' fraud. This is because there is low overall turnout and it is split between parties, furthering lowering the number of votes for a given candidate; i.e., it's much easier to sway an election with a few hundred fraudulent votes.

In the general, the fraud cases are largely individual actors.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 09-18-2020 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 09:53 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,882,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Where did I express a Laissez-faire attitude? 'Diligence to mitigate fraud' is very different from 'diligence because of rampant fraud' ... you suggested the latter, where as the former represents reality, IMO with back data.

If you truly believe ballot fraud is a partisan issue, I have something unfortunate to tell you ... team colors have obfuscated your critical thinking. Before dismissing my claim, take a gander at right-wing think-tank Heritage's voter fraud data base: https://www.heritage.org/voterfraud/search?state=NH

Your own beloved state of NH not only has more evidence of fraud compared to MA, but it also reveals its very much a bipartisan issue ... albeit small in scope. Enjoy your Orwellian echo-chamber up in the 'north country'. GOP is attempting mass disenfranchisement because the demographics are moving against them and, instead of acting upon the RNC's 2012 election post-mortem call for more inclusion, it's base double down on fear and loathing.
I have to be in Burlington VT in 90 min .so i will make this quick.
I gave you specific examples of large scale General election fraud and you came back with some democrat talking point of 'GOP mass disenfranchisement. By the way Im unenrolled ,Independent.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:06 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,434,870 times
My concern is only very small with fraud, my concern with mass mail in voting is that it will take months to decide who wins. Can we honestly take anymore of this? Mail in votes will have to be manually counted after verifying that they are good votes. That takes time. With past elections the number of mail in votes were not enough to change the results, this year may be entirely different. Second to that is mass lost or delayed votes. Look how long that hanging chad thing took in Florida and that was only one state. I don't know about you but I don't think I can take this stretching into 2021.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I have to be in Burlington VT in 90 min .so i will make this quick.
I gave you specific examples of large scale General election fraud and you came back with some democrat talking point of 'GOP mass disenfranchisement. By the way Im unenrolled ,Independent.
You mean the example in which a bipartisan state Supreme Court bench ruled in favor of Franken? That one?

I’m also unenrolled, FYI ... stating such has very little relevance when you’re continually promoting right wing propaganda. It’s pretty clear OP posted this as an attempt to substantiate unsubstantiated claims by a desperate administration looking at a Nov 3 loss ... an admin which is very publicly seeking to disenfranchise and undermine legitimacy. You may think this is lefty propaganda, but Trump himself has more or less has confirmed it on multiple occasions (e.g., Wednesday, the DeJoy response interview).

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 09-18-2020 at 10:22 AM..

Old 09-18-2020, 11:54 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
My concern is only very small with fraud, my concern with mass mail in voting is that it will take months to decide who wins. Can we honestly take anymore of this? Mail in votes will have to be manually counted after verifying that they are good votes. That takes time. With past elections the number of mail in votes were not enough to change the results, this year may be entirely different. Second to that is mass lost or delayed votes. Look how long that hanging chad thing took in Florida and that was only one state. I don't know about you but I don't think I can take this stretching into 2021.
It shouldn't take months. The ballot is placed inside an envelope with the bar code, the voter's information, and signature and then that envelope is placed inside the return envelope. The town clerks' office can open the outer envelope when received, confirm the signature, and then place the envelope containing the ballot in a secure location until election day. On that day, poll workers can open the ballot envelopes and put the ballot into the tabulator.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
It shouldn't take months. The ballot is placed inside an envelope with the bar code, the voter's information, and signature and then that envelope is placed inside the return envelope. The town clerks' office can open the outer envelope when received, confirm the signature, and then place the envelope containing the ballot in a secure location until election day. On that day, poll workers can open the ballot envelopes and put the ballot into the tabulator.
Correct. This "months" rhetoric is overblown largely, IMO, due to previous issues like Bush v. Gore in FL.

Unless votes are contested requiring recounts, the results should be in within a few weeks of Nov. 3.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:23 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
I don't give a crap how long it takes. You just know that Orange Man is going to declare victory around 8 pm EST on Nov 3 based on what's been tallied (mark my words). We absolutely have to count 100% of the votes, in this literal life-or-death election.

Old 09-18-2020, 03:26 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,750,142 times
Quote:
In some states the end winner might be the same even if absentees ballots are not counted. Two examples are Biden will MA big and Trump will win SC big.

Yes all ballots should be counted and many states have two weeks to verify their "final results". I expect it could drag out like FL did some years back. You can sure that in "close states" the lawyers will be swooping in.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:54 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
National fraud is small. I'd be *much* more concerned with a local ballot measure. Say a miscount on a prop 2 1/2, a rezoning proposal, a permit approval etc.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:19 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,784,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I don't give a crap how long it takes. You just know that Orange Man is going to declare victory around 8 pm EST on Nov 3 based on what's been tallied (mark my words). We absolutely have to count 100% of the votes, in this literal life-or-death election.
So why push mail in voting? The Democrats had to know that there were going to be problems. You can't seriously think there would be that many Democratic voters who would be too scared to go to a polling booth.

My main beef is that I wouldn't trust my vote to be secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts