Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 11:00 AM

6,122 posts, read 5,090,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
So why push mail in voting? The Democrats had to know that there were going to be problems. You can't seriously think there would be that many Democratic voters who would be too scared to go to a polling booth.

My main beef is that I wouldn't trust my vote to be secret.
In a normal year, no. The higher volume of mail-in ballots would be easily handled had the USPS not done its mischief and reduced capacity under the direction of the stooge Mr. Dejoy. For what it's worth, I didn't take a chance...I dropped 3 ballots off from my family directly at my town's ballot box at City Hall, for the recent primary.

Vote not being secret? Now that's a legitimate concern, I suppose...but not one that I've heard mentioned as an objection to the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 12:00 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
So why push mail in voting? The Democrats had to know that there were going to be problems. You can't seriously think there would be that many Democratic voters who would be too scared to go to a polling booth.

My main beef is that I wouldn't trust my vote to be secret.
The motivation here is easy. Democrats do better when turnout increases. Democrats will work hard to make voting easier because it helps them. Republicans are the opposite. They will work to make fraud harder because it helps them.

Having done vote-by-mail in the primary, I am not too concerned about the ballot being secret. If you don’t trust your town election officials to not violate your secrecy, how can you trust them to even count your ballot? I was frankly always a little bit weary of the election officials peeking when I slide my ballot through the scanner.

Old 09-19-2020, 02:12 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
I do not care who knows who I voted for. I just want to be sure my ballot is counted. I have requested a absentee ballot and I will be dropping it off at the local election office well before the election.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:38 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
The motivation here is easy. Democrats do better when turnout increases. Democrats will work hard to make voting easier because it helps them. Republicans are the opposite. They will work to make fraud harder because it helps them.

Having done vote-by-mail in the primary, I am not too concerned about the ballot being secret. If you don’t trust your town election officials to not violate your secrecy, how can you trust them to even count your ballot? I was frankly always a little bit weary of the election officials peeking when I slide my ballot through the scanner.
Correction: Not fraud. Turnout. GOP doesn’t want turnout other than the usuals; i.e., boomers.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Correction: Not fraud. Turnout. GOP doesn’t want turnout other than the usuals; i.e., boomers.
Agree. The demographics in many states are shifting away from the GOP's traditional groups, and they know it. Their only hope is to suppress turnout.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:48 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
No. They work to make fraud harder. That has the natural benefit of making turnout lower, but you can’t actively work to make turnout lower. Fraud is a convenient reason, even if you and I don’t believe it. It’s believable enough to be plausible.

And I don’t think for a second that if roles were reversed Democrats would be so enthusiastic about making voting easier. I give groups credit for doing the right thing only when it isn’t also in their direct interest. Politicians that do “the right thing” at the cost of votes aren’t usually politicians for very long.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:48 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
No. They work to make fraud harder. That has the natural benefit of making turnout lower, but you can’t actively work to make turnout lower. Fraud is a convenient reason, even if you and I don’t believe it. It’s believable enough to be plausible.

And I don’t think for a second that if roles were reversed Democrats would be so enthusiastic about making voting easier. I give groups credit for doing the right thing only when it isn’t also in their direct interest. Politicians that do “the right thing” at the cost of votes aren’t usually politicians for very long.
I understand it’s ultimately about maintaining power, however; I judge actions more heavily than hypotheticals and, in my life time, the Dems have been the more inclusionary party and a clear advocate for voter access ... whether it benefits them is rather irrelevant at this time. My hopes were that the GOP would head more centrist and inclusionary with Romney, but I couldn’t have been more wrong ... seems ethnic nationalism is preferred by its base.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:43 AM

23,523 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Latest in NYC, 100,000 ballots mailed with wrong names and addresses on them.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ss/3570961001/

It can happen in MA too. This is just set up to be a disaster IMO.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Latest in NYC, 100,000 ballots mailed with wrong names and addresses on them.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ss/3570961001/

It can happen in MA too. This is just set up to be a disaster IMO.
Why do you say that? We just did this successfully for the Sept 1 primary elections. There is a tracing system in place which you can check online.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:59 AM

23,523 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Why do you say that? We just did this successfully for the Sept 1 primary elections. There is a tracing system in place which you can check online.
Have you actually tried this yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts