Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 11:06 PM

5,655 posts, read 6,235,791 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your input on Question 1! I thought it would be worth a second thread for Question 2. In this case, however, I should say I am more of an advocate than looking for input. I don't see a downside to Question 2. I think it will help break the stranglehold of the two major parties on our politicial system and be doubly helpful in our primaries.

Please vote YES on Question 2. Or, if you oppoae Question 2, please let us know why - I always like to learmed from my fellow Bay Staters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 12:28 AM

1,363 posts, read 877,219 times
Posting the information about and the language of Question 2 would be helpful.

Old 10-04-2020, 05:13 AM

10,042 posts, read 15,707,910 times
Question 2 :

Do you approve of a law summarized below, on which no vote was taken by the Senate or the House of Representatives on or before May 5, 2020? This proposed law would implement a voting system known as “ranked-choice voting,” in which voters rank one or more candidates by order of preference. Ranked-choice voting would be used in primary and general elections for all Massachusetts statewide offices, state legislative offices, federal congressional offices, and certain other offices beginning in 2022. Ranked-choice voting would not be used in elections for president, county commissioner, or regional district school committee member. Under the proposed law, votes would be counted in a series of rounds. In the first round, if one candidate received more than 50 percent of the first-place votes, that candidate would be declared the winner and no other rounds would be necessary. If no candidate received more than 50 percent of the first-place votes, then the candidate or candidates who received the fewest first-place votes would be eliminated and, in the next round, each vote for an eliminated candidate would instead be counted toward the next highest-ranked candidate on that voter’s ballot. Depending on the number of candidates, additional rounds of counting could occur, with the last-place candidate or candidates in each round being eliminated and the votes for an eliminated candidate going to the voter’s next choice out of the remaining candidates. A tie for last place in any round would be broken by comparing the tied candidates’ support in earlier rounds. Ultimately, the candidate who was, out of the remaining candidates, the preference of a majority of voters would be declared the winner. Ranked-choice voting would be used only in races where a single candidate is to be declared the winner and not in races where more than one person is to be elected. Under the proposed law, if no candidate received more than 50 percent of first-place votes in the first round, the rounds of ballot-counting necessary for ranked-choice voting would be conducted at a central tabulation facility. At the facility, voters’ rankings would be entered into a computer, which would then be used to calculate the results of each round of the counting process. The proposed law provides that candidates in a statewide or district election would have at least three days to request a recount. The Secretary of State would be required to issue regulations to implement the proposed law and conduct a voter education campaign about the ranked-choice voting process. The proposed law would take effect on January 1, 2022.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:05 AM

4,889 posts, read 13,855,273 times
We already do "ranked voting" in Cambridge local elections - it's known as proportional representation, and works well.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:29 AM

5,125 posts, read 2,700,602 times
It's a complicated process and there are potentially significant issues that may arise, including bottom-ranked candidates winning the election because of the ballot distribution or because of voters who only exercise a limited number of ballots. Even the very progressive Jerry Brown of CA didn't support it. The devil is in the details, as always. Do you research. Anything being promoted as a panacea, usually isn't. It certainly has positives including the fact that it may increase voter participation but it might disenfranchise more voters. If your choices are not included in the two finalists, your ballot gets tossed. There are many other negatives. Do your research. Even Burlington, VT got rid of it. My vote: No.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 10-04-2020 at 11:39 AM..

Old 10-04-2020, 11:45 AM

6,820 posts, read 6,075,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
It's a complicated process and there are potentially significant issues that may arise, including bottom-ranked candidates winning the election
How? If there isn’t a clear winner, bottom-ranked candidates are eliminated from the running, and their votes are redistributed based on the second choice of their supporters.

Old 10-04-2020, 12:02 PM

24,560 posts, read 17,308,779 times
I don't like it but I'm old fashioned and believe that it should be one vote for one candidate.

Choice is good in many things but why do we need to confuse the issue of voting by introducing something like this. If I like one candidate but despise another then why should I be forced to choose that lousy candidate and give him any nod at all as my second choice?

I received a flyer in the mail the other day that wanted me to vote yes on #2 and it cited that Democrats, Republicans and Libertarians all endorse it. Well the first 2 names on the list were Elizabeth Warren and Ed Markey. I did not recognize a single Republican name on the list. I am not a fan of Warren or Markey so right there if they endorse #2 I don't.

I say keep it simple.

Old 10-04-2020, 12:15 PM

10,042 posts, read 15,707,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
It's a complicated process and there are potentially significant issues that may arise, including bottom-ranked candidates winning the election because of the ballot distribution or because of voters who only exercise a limited number of ballots. Even the very progressive Jerry Brown of CA didn't support it. The devil is in the details, as always. Do you research. Anything being promoted as a panacea, usually isn't. It certainly has positives including the fact that it may increase voter participation but it might disenfranchise more voters. If your choices are not included in the two finalists, your ballot gets tossed. There are many other negatives. Do your research. Even Burlington, VT got rid of it. My vote: No.
I went to a presentation about it a couple of years ago and quickly came to the conclusion that it was little better than a scam.

Old 10-04-2020, 12:38 PM

6,820 posts, read 6,075,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Choice is good in many things but why do we need to confuse the issue of voting by introducing something like this. If I like one candidate but despise another then why should I be forced to choose that lousy candidate and give him any nod at all as my second choice?
You...wouldn’t?

See slides 4 and 5 on how Maine currently does this: https://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/elec/u...V.Sept2020.pdf

Old 10-04-2020, 12:46 PM

16,059 posts, read 7,079,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't like it but I'm old fashioned and believe that it should be one vote for one candidate.

You can still select only one candidate that you prefer and leave it at that. If he wins the majority then he is in. If he doesn't then he gets another chance with the others.

This also saves tax payer money so there needs to be no run off election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts