Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 03:48 PM

15,876 posts, read 20,766,410 times

Advertisements

Stories like this would make me reconsider

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/12/healt...ilt/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 06:54 PM

2,375 posts, read 1,818,374 times
Still on but sounds like there won't be as many people. Last year it was about 15 people roughly.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:12 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,496,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Maybe we'll ski if the snow is decent somewhere.
My life experience where I’ve skied every Thanksgiving since I was a kid is that Thanksgiving day is deserted but the Friday/Saturday are crazy. Limited acres on white ribbon of death. I usually go out for an hour at first chair and then go do something else. Everyone is going to limit capacity in some way this year but it’s still likely to feel busy due to the limited number of acres. If I were paying for hotel and lift tickets, maybe Jay Peak. The Canadian border is closed. The best odds on natural snow.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:34 AM

13,072 posts, read 22,288,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My life experience where I’ve skied every Thanksgiving since I was a kid is that Thanksgiving day is deserted but the Friday/Saturday are crazy. Limited acres on white ribbon of death. I usually go out for an hour at first chair and then go do something else. Everyone is going to limit capacity in some way this year but it’s still likely to feel busy due to the limited number of acres. If I were paying for hotel and lift tickets, maybe Jay Peak. The Canadian border is closed. The best odds on natural snow.
That’s why it’s a “maybe” for us. I rarely ski in November and I almost always don’t go out of my way to hit the slopes in December (unless there’s a good storm or two up north). The lack of open terrain and the crowds make for a miserable experience. I’d consider Jay, we have some friends with a spot up there. But we are Ikon pass holders this year thanks to Alterra’s acquisition of Sugarbush. That gives access to more resorts, but Jay isn’t one of them. Not sure we want to shell out more to ski it in November unless it has been blessed with more natural snow.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:56 AM

4,248 posts, read 3,766,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I live in NH but we are planning on celebrating as usual. It doesn't make sense to follow arbitrary rules for a mild flu.
This thread is not discussing a mild flu. It is discussing Covid-19. Maybe that needed to be in the title, but most people did seem to understand.

Now that we are in the Boston area, we don't celebrate with anyone. We have typically gone out to a restaurant. That doesn't seem to be an option this year although someone posted in a facebook group asking for restaurants that were having outdoor dining on Thanksgiving. I didn't think that restaurants had committed to doing that -- I'm not sure if those outdoor heaters will provide enough heat? Thanksgiving can be warm enough, I suppose, for those heaters to work, but they can also be very cold. I haven't decided what to do, and I haven't received any emails or seen any promotions about restaurants offering outdoor seating on Thanksgiving.

We have friends who said we should come to their house. I'm not sure. This would involve a family of four which includes one college student who is at college now but will be there for the holiday. It also would involve two other relatives of theirs' who live locally together, and rarely leave their home. One is apparently, particularly paranoid about Covid germs, and on top of that these two people might have even had it back in February.

So, I dunno...

Old 10-16-2020, 09:08 AM

15,876 posts, read 20,766,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I didn't think that restaurants had committed to doing that -- I'm not sure if those outdoor heaters will provide enough heat? Thanksgiving can be warm enough, I suppose, for those heaters to work, but they can also be very cold. I haven't decided what to do, and I haven't received any emails or seen any promotions about restaurants offering outdoor seating on Thanksgiving.
Based on what I've seen in my general area, restaurants are moving back to indoor seating as their main dining area and seem to not want to "support" outdoor eating. We inquired at 2 restaurants to eat outside, and they seemed almost annoyed by that request. We did eat at one. We were the only ones outside, and the indoor seating was PACKED.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:30 AM

4,248 posts, read 3,766,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Based on what I've seen in my general area, restaurants are moving back to indoor seating as their main dining area and seem to not want to "support" outdoor eating. We inquired at 2 restaurants to eat outside, and they seemed almost annoyed by that request. We did eat at one. We were the only ones outside, and the indoor seating was PACKED.
Interesting. We went out last night and all the outdoor portions at restaurants were at their capacity. A lot of people wanted to eat out because the weather was decent. From what I have seen, the indoor seating at restaurants was pretty sparse. At this point, we're only eating outside and we are very cognizant of the fact that that is going to come to an abrupt end pretty soon.

I do worry that if restaurants do find a way to use their outdoor space (particularly restaurants that already have a large patio area and do a lot of outdoor seating in summer anyway) that that is going to cut down on the whole benefit of being outside -- the sunshine and fresh air and air circulation make it harder to get the disease. But if they are able to heat air so the temp is not freezing while being outside, then it must be because they are able to hold onto that warm air, so it isn't circulating the way it does when you are totally outside. If they put up sturdy tents and some kind of 'walls' and heat that air, while it is technically "outside," I don't know that the airborne germ issue is adequately addressed.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:04 PM

943 posts, read 589,058 times
I wouldn't go near indoor dining unless tables were *much* further apart, in a large and very well ventilated space. 6' don't cut it for the duration of time one is typically dining. (12' probably doesn't.) The duration of your dining should be correlated to the proximity of tables.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:31 AM

18,320 posts, read 10,789,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
(long read)

We've all heard, about a week ago, how it's recommended that most or even all Americans plan a smaller Thanksgiving, with much fewer guests.

I guess the type and number of guests would differ on whether you've seen these people regularly since this mess and trust their habits. Do we know if they're good social distancers, wear masks when necessary and routinely wash hands with (warm or hot, or is cold water okay?) soap and water and use sanitizer and/or wipes when away from a sink?

Perhaps it's better to congregate at a favorite restaurant, but of course there won't be any Thanksgiving buffets offered (for those who even like buffets). Plus it's expensive. But at least one doesn't endure the worry of all types of friends and relatives bringing the virus into the house -- plus the worry of doing a deep cleaning of the house once the guests leave.

I saw my brother for a birthday in the Seaport this week, but hadn't been to his house since Christmas. The restaurant was rather crowded on a Friday night, and with tables spread out and staff wearing masks. I don't know if I'd have felt comfortable bringing myself to his residence at this point. And I simply don't know if I feel comfortable enough bringing myself and any possible virus to his house for Thanksgiving, if they're planning any invite at all.

Will some here taper their normal Thanksgiving and eliminate all or most guests -- or maybe just eat out if with a large gathering?

I realize different parts of the country will react differently.

Can you all even believe we're talking about this, as perhaps many here and everywhere thought back at the beginning that we'd be back to normal by now?
No, doing it just like always. There is plenty to be Thankful for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: