Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 08:06 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times

Advertisements

About the same as always 14 or so. Our Canadian friends wont be coming though. We live in New Hampshire.
I fly down to Mass and ferry them back and forth,so most wont have to drive .Everyone stays for the weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 09:32 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
Looks like it's going to be a hellish Holiday season with infection spreading via Thanksgiving celebrations and students travelling home (many/most? colleges close up for the semester with Thanksgiving). Why can't people modify their traditions for ONE holiday season to prevent illness and death? Are we all toddlers who can't resist the marshmallow? Next winter should be much better...

Old 10-06-2020, 10:59 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
It'll be unfortunate for those who rely on soup kitchens and churches for a Thanksgiving meal.

Not sure if Pine Street Inn will or can do their usual feast somehow, or simply eliminate it.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:05 AM

363 posts, read 514,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I haven't had a Thanksgiving dinner with my family in at least a decade, so the pandemic changed nothing.

Same. When you're used to hacking it on your own, what's the point? It makes no difference from every other T-Day or Chanukah or Xmas or Birthday spent alone.

And as others have pointed out, there's no way to know who , outside your immediate household, is observing social distancing and hygiene and who isn't.

Currently I'm renting an apartment from my friend's mom. Before the apartment came available, i lived in a guest room in her actual main house-- NO ONE in this household observed precautions or hygiene, and there is a 92 yr old man battling lung cancer in here. The Mum, who is over 70 herself, goes to marshalls and Wegmans and out to shops daily, willy-nilly. Old folks seem to just not get it.

The few times I have left this property to a store, I've seen many folks wearing masks but pulled down to expose their nose... or not wearing mask at all.

Something ought to be noted about the pain of extroverts are experiencing right now, which is very real. They need constant company or other things 'happening'. They have no reference or experience to relate to that is similar to lockdown measures. These will be the folks planning massive Thanksgiving dinners.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:32 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
We don't usually have a huge Thanksgiving but we trpically host a handful of family on my husband's side. They're in Maine. Unlikley we'll be doing it this year....we just learned yesterday my younger stepson very likely has just contracted COVID (we're waiting for results, but he's been exposed and is sick). So it will likely just be my husband and I and we'll be hoping for the best for my stepson. I like one of the previous poster's idea of donating money saved to somewhere like Pine Street Inn. I'll be giving that serious thought.

Old 10-07-2020, 05:20 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
A long time ago a relative of mine had shingles and many of the youngest didn't have chicken pox yet. That ended gatherings for awhile. Thanksgiving has always been small in my family. Christmas was another story but as people spread out it just became more of a pain.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:01 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
I think we're almost certainly going to go lower key this year. My parents, aunts, uncles, etc. are all 60+ and many have other conditions that put them at higher risk. My girlfriend's father and grandmother are very high risk. Just really doesn't make sense. We may pick a local restaurant to support instead and call/check-in with family. Maybe we'll ski if the snow is decent somewhere.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:16 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,755 times
I don't know what we're doing. We celebrate with my extended family. Half are in health care, half in retail/food service. There's also a sprinkling of retired folk. We usually have 20+ on Thanksgiving. Maybe it'll separate into nuclear families? My husband's family has the same dilemma but with more kids.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:13 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
I just found out my sister and two nieces tested positive yesterday. I have purposely stayed away from them since mid July as they made it clear while they would wear a mask and try to be careful, they were still going to go out and do the things they always have done. They went on multiple overnight summer vacations, took public transportation including flying, went to beaches, ate at restaurants, etc...This despite not stepping place in their workplaces or college since early march. They just ate inside at a restaurant for a birthday celebration last Thursday. Their symptoms started showing on Sunday.

People need to severely limit their interaction with others as much as possible if they want to avoid this virus. You assume all the risks of others when you interact with them.

Old 10-09-2020, 12:55 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Myself and some family here in SC are ex-New Englanders and usually we have family/friends from NE visiting at Thanksgiving. They will not be this year. Just we locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: