Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 06:12 PM

363 posts, read 514,445 times

Advertisements

What is the typical % of a rent raise in Mass? And what is the typical frequency LL's raise rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 07:16 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
They're no real average rent increase. It can depend on the owner, improvements, amenities and of course location etc

Old 10-14-2020, 08:14 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
My rent share in Boston went from 905 in 2018 (I wasnt there) to 950 in 2019 to 1,025 if I stayed.

Then COVID hit. If I stayed or renewed my lease it would be 990 for my share.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
My rent share in Boston went from 905 in 2018 (I wasnt there) to 950 in 2019 to 1,025 if I stayed.

Then COVID hit. If I stayed or renewed my lease it would be 990 for my share.
The folks who own the place I'm staying asked for a $50 rent raise after two weeks, citing I used 'too much electricity'.
For a window AC unit in August. (its a small non-'legal' apartment attached to a huge old victorian place, there were 6 people living in the house?!). It's been a ****show. It's half finished, like no steps outside just a two foot drop, there was no railing on the steep staircase inside, no way to open the kitchen cabinets, holes in the walls with wires hanging out, raw drywall, no electricity downstairs, no screens in the windows, etc)

I couldn't actually move in till 11 days after I'd paid. I spent 3 days cleaning/sanitizing the place (last tenant left a huge, disgusting mess), and was waiting for promises of crap that either didn't happen or took weeks, like paint.

**at first it was $800. After *2 weeks* they asked for $50 more for 'electricity' without finishing anything. Dude said I was "doing extreme things with the air conditioner".

A month goes by, I'm still waiting for paint and cabinet knobs and a railing, and I complained, so they took my laundry privileges away wtf? Same night I gave 30 days notice. They reneged on the laundry and renegotiated for $25 extra dollars. And also gave me paint and a railing. Still waiting on everything else. This is an in-law tiny apartment in Northborough. It's weird, like a studio (tiny kitchenette strip, bed area, 3/4 bathroom), but with a staircase to a downstairs 'sitting room', which might fit a loveseat. All my stuff is still in storage since March and I still have to get mail at the UPS store, together an extra over $100 a month.

Last edited by 5pyg1a55; 10-14-2020 at 09:04 PM..

Old 10-15-2020, 04:50 AM

875 posts, read 663,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
What is the typical % of a rent raise in Mass? And what is the typical frequency LL's raise rent?
What does it say in your lease? - typically not more than once per year/lease period unless there are very specific provisions included

Old 10-15-2020, 04:53 AM

875 posts, read 663,831 times
Quote:
The folks who own the place I'm staying asked for a $50 rent raise after two weeks, citing I used 'too much electricity'.
For a window AC unit in August. (its a small non-'legal' apartment attached to a huge old victorian place, there were 6 people living in the house?!). It's been a ****show. It's half finished, like no steps outside just a two foot drop, there was no railing on the steep staircase inside, no way to open the kitchen cabinets, holes in the walls with wires hanging out, raw drywall, no electricity downstairs, no screens in the windows, etc)

I couldn't actually move in till 11 days after I'd paid. I spent 3 days cleaning/sanitizing the place (last tenant left a huge, disgusting mess), and was waiting for promises of crap that either didn't happen or took weeks, like paint.

**at first it was $800. After *2 weeks* they asked for $50 more for 'electricity' without finishing anything. Dude said I was "doing extreme things with the air conditioner".

A month goes by, I'm still waiting for paint and cabinet knobs and a railing, and I complained, so they took my laundry privileges away wtf? Same night I gave 30 days notice. They reneged on the laundry and renegotiated for $25 extra dollars. And also gave me paint and a railing. Still waiting on everything else. This is an in-law tiny apartment in Northborough. It's weird, like a studio (tiny kitchenette strip, bed area, 3/4 bathroom), but with a staircase to a downstairs 'sitting room', which might fit a loveseat. All my stuff is still in storage since March and I still have to get mail at the UPS store, together an extra over $100 a month.

Not excusing the landlord, but why did you rent the place if it had all these obvious issues?

Call your town housing department and they will come and inspect for legal residence, violations etc. MA is very pro tenant.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:27 AM

604 posts, read 561,717 times
Quote:
If you signed a lease - tell them that you are honoring it and you expect them to honor it as well

Old 10-15-2020, 07:31 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Given that it's an illegal rental, I doubt there is a least in place. However if there is one, I would consult the lease for some direction.

To answer the question, my typical rent raises are $50-100/year depending on several factors. However I won't really go into detail since it's an apples and orange situation here.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Not excusing the landlord, but why did you rent the place if it had all these obvious issues?

Call your town housing department and they will come and inspect for legal residence, violations etc. MA is very pro tenant.
I paid for it before seeing it, based on oral description. I really needed a place & am unfamiliar with this area. And I didn't know (and still don't know) how long/if I will stay in MA.

It's my friend's parent's place, they live in the main house. I'm not going to screw w/ them legally. They're a older, 70's-90's, and one is very ill w/ cancer. They're ok people most of the time, but crappy landlords
(They had one other tenant, otherwise haven't Landlorded before). The family is slightly dysfunctional. The place is tiny but aesthetically OK: marble bathroom, quarts counters, wood floors, etc, all new) it's like 3/4 done being renovated.

I have really tried to be slow and patient, I'm getting frustrated and cranky, and I feel unstable and miserable and have no clue how to continue navigating this reasonably.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:05 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:

Lol Boston rental life. The ghetto.

When I lived in Dorchester my entire window fell out of it pain and onto me during my sleep-in the middle of a thunderstorm. Land lord told me he’d “patch it up”. And don’t even get me started on the mice and creaky floorboards.

I feel like everyone in the Boston area who’s ever rented a cheap placein the non luxury units has at least 1 apartment story like this. And yea your rents gonna increase, buddyguy. Welcome! Get ready for the snow!

No but seriously good luck-I’ve seen your story play out many times and I’m only 26...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts