Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 11:14 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
Also, from that end of town you're only 5 minutes from Lexington Center, and 15 minutes from the big Market Basket in Woburn, which is way better (and cheaper) than Arlington's rinky-dink Stop & Shop, and another few minutes up to Burlington Mall and its surrounding stores/restaurants.
Nitpicking here, but I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Market Basket in Burlington (on Middlesex Turnpike), not the one in Woburn which is near Washington St & 128. But yes, I fully agree it's the best one for miles around, especially if you're into the ethnic produce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 11:40 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I feel like I read once that New Englanders consume more ice cream per capita than any other region of the country. I tried to find confirmation of that on Google and didn't come up with anything quickly but I did find this fun article that you'd probably enjoy reading:

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2010/10/...uch-ice-cream/

It's interesting to chat with people and to hear what their tolerance for commuting is. Some people if it's more than 15 minutes then that commute is HELLISH. Others would be happy if their commute was 45 minutes. Many, many years ago when I worked at Fidelity Investments they moved my business group to Smithfield, RI. For the first year we were down there, I worked with a guy who was commuting from New Hampshire (either Nashua or Manchester I can't recall). His tolerance for commuting always amazed me. After enduring that multi-hour commute for a year he was finally able to find a job back in Boston so that he would have a more "reasonable" commute.

I think on rare incredibly awful days my wife's drive to Cambridge was a little over an hour.
Interesting article, but I don't think the explanation is that the ice cream is actually better than everywhere else. (Even though there is a lot that is good.)

Yeah, I feel like an hour commute is acceptable but the maximum commute I want, and really I want less. I once read that the ideal commute is 30 minutes because that was enough time to decompress and change mindsets between work and home.

I once lived in NC, and someone was telling me about how her husband had a job offer that he was going to reject because it would have been a 15 minute commute. I was certain I must have misunderstood and asked if she meant he had a 15 minute commute now and didn't want to give it up? Nope. His current commute was 5 minutes and he didn't want to increase it to 15. Having recently moved there from Chicago, this just didn't compute at all for me.

I've come to the conclusion at this point that about a 10-15 minute commute would be my ideal.

Old 12-07-2020, 12:41 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
DT Needham to Harvard Sq. is 27 minutes via 95/90, totaling 15 miles.

DT Winchester to Harvard Sq. is 23 minutes via Mystic Valley Pkwy, totaling 7 miles.

During rush house and bad weather, Mystic Valley Pkwy will be considerably more convenient. I'd expect 35 minutes from DT Winchester. For Needham, 45-50 minutes sounds fair.

So as far as proximity and access to Cambridge, Winchester is obviously more ideal, but neither are "bad" by large MSA terms.

Old 12-07-2020, 01:11 PM

66 posts, read 47,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
DT Needham to Harvard Sq. is 27 minutes via 95/90, totaling 15 miles.

DT Winchester to Harvard Sq. is 23 minutes via Mystic Valley Pkwy, totaling 7 miles.

During rush house and bad weather, Mystic Valley Pkwy will be considerably more convenient. I'd expect 35 minutes from DT Winchester. For Needham, 45-50 minutes sounds fair.

So as far as proximity and access to Cambridge, Winchester is obviously more ideal, but neither are "bad" by large MSA terms.
This is about right. And most of Newton will be somewhere in-between, though there can be a 5-10 minute spread depending on which part you're in. If you're in Newton Corner you're probably closer than most of Winchester. Oak Hill, meanwhile, will be closer to Needham. Those are the extremes though and most of Newton will fall somewhere in the middle.

Old 12-07-2020, 01:23 PM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
FWIW I used to work with people commuting from Needham and Winchester to Kendall SQ - commute times during rush hour on a typical day were 45 mins from Winchester and closer to an hour from Needham. I don't know what part of the respective towns they lived in.

Old 12-07-2020, 01:26 PM

For resale, I'm sure Arlington and Needham lead the growth in value post-recession as a %. I'd think both (most of) Newton and Winchester were probably more expensive pre-recession, and likely saw a more modest (for Greater Boston) growth in home values.

As for future outlook, they're all similarly positioned.

Winchester and Arlington are closest to Burlington and Cambridge, which has advantages. But Newton and Needham are closer to Waltham and the western reaches of the city, which also has it's advantages. The train from Winchester center to Boston is 19 or 21 minutes, depending on time. The Green Line from Newton Center to downtown is 47 minutes, however the commuter is only 30 minutes from Newtonville. It looks like the Needham commuter is 40 minutes. Might be another consideration.

Last edited by mwj119; 12-07-2020 at 01:36 PM..

Old 12-07-2020, 03:04 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
For resale, I'm sure Arlington and Needham lead the growth in value post-recession as a %. I'd think both (most of) Newton and Winchester were probably more expensive pre-recession, and likely saw a more modest (for Greater Boston) growth in home values.

As for future outlook, they're all similarly positioned.

Winchester and Arlington are closest to Burlington and Cambridge, which has advantages. But Newton and Needham are closer to Waltham and the western reaches of the city, which also has it's advantages. The train from Winchester center to Boston is 19 or 21 minutes, depending on time. The Green Line from Newton Center to downtown is 47 minutes, however the commuter is only 30 minutes from Newtonville. It looks like the Needham commuter is 40 minutes. Might be another consideration.
Also note that Newton has access to both the T and the commuter rail, and that Needham has 4 commuter rail stops. I think (although I may be mis-remembering?) that Winchester has 2 commuter rail stops. That means that there is more opportunity to live a walkable distance to a commuter rail station, which can be a big plus.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:08 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Yes, Needham does have 4 stops.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:59 AM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
Newton also has express buses to downtown in the northern sections of Newton. If they ever make bus only lanes the commute would be 20 mins

Old 12-08-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Also note that Newton has access to both the T and the commuter rail, and that Needham has 4 commuter rail stops. I think (although I may be mis-remembering?) that Winchester has 2 commuter rail stops. That means that there is more opportunity to live a walkable distance to a commuter rail station, which can be a big plus.
Good point.

And yes, Winchester has the center stop and the Wedgemere stop.

Wedgemere area/Southern Winchester is great with the Lake/Beach, tennis club, etc. Those neighborhoods are stunning, and you have the convenience of being <.5 miles to the train.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4459...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4410...7i16384!8i8192

But my preference would be to live north of Church, east of Rt 3. Walking distance to DT Winchester, and the grid neighborhoods with Salisbury/Wedgemere/Yale/Oxford/Cabot/Foxcroft/Dartmouth are really homey.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4499...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4547...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by mwj119; 12-08-2020 at 07:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts