Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 01:59 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Last I looked, that area bordering Revere Beach (whatever it's called) was VERY MUCH ghetto. Broadway is a $hithole too.
Well, yeah, of course these working class cities have their unsavory parts. Somerville surely did and look what happened there. I lived in one of them paying $500/month for a 2BR not as long ago as one might imagine.

I can think of reasons why Somerville became what it is today. The question about Revere will be does it have some similar underlying positives that would suggest it. I think it does.

It has 3 Blue Line stops.
It had decent bus alternatives
general proximity to Boston
the beach
It has some geographical "nooks" where some gentrification can take hold, even if it's not the entire city.

I can think of a couple north shore cities with arguably fewer things in their favor that have nevertheless gotten quite nice for investors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I’ve met a few people in my life from revere and they were psycho individuals. Italian. I’m sure the neighborhood has changed but those people are revere to me.
What were YOU doing there, LOL? Buying coke from a guy through his T-Top roof on his IROC?

Old 12-27-2020, 02:08 PM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Well, yeah, of course these working class cities have their unsavory parts. Somerville surely did and look what happened there. I lived in one of them paying $500/month for a 2BR not as long ago as one might imagine.

I can think of reasons why Somerville became what it is today. The question about Revere will be does it have some similar underlying positives that would suggest it. I think it does.

It has 3 Blue Line stops.
It had decent bus alternatives
general proximity to Boston
the beach
It has some geographical "nooks" where some gentrification can take hold, even if it's not the entire city.

I can think of a couple north shore cities with arguably fewer things in their favor that have nevertheless gotten quite nice for investors.

I thought Somerville gentrified due to overflow from Cambridge, and being sandwiched between Harvard and Tufts no? Sure Revere has the T, but still a toll when driving to Downtown Boston which will forever pose as a great divide. I see some areas becoming more desirable, but you have to remember that it's simply not possible to gentrify every square inch of the Greater Boston area. The riff raff have to go somewhere, there will always be those "have not" areas.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:09 PM

16,332 posts, read 8,162,213 times
I wasn’t there. LOL. One was a girl at a basketball camp I went to and no one could understand her when she talked. The other was a friends ex girlfriend.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:11 PM

One of my friend is single in her 40s and lives in revere now. She lives in an apartment right across the st from the beach. I’ve never been but it looks quite nice based on the beach pictures she posts.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:15 PM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I wasn’t there. LOL. One was a girl at a basketball camp I went to and no one could understand her when she talked. The other was a friends ex girlfriend.

People I know from Revere fall into one of two categories. The first are born and raised, never left and wouldn't even dare move to Everett or Winthrop. The latter moved away, and will not EVER AGAIN associate with the place. Those latter folk honestly seem a little more sane...

Old 12-27-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I thought Somerville gentrified due to overflow from Cambridge, and being sandwiched between Harvard and Tufts no? Sure Revere has the T, but still a toll when driving to Downtown Boston which will forever pose as a great divide. I see some areas becoming more desirable, but you have to remember that it's simply not possible to gentrify every square inch of the Greater Boston area. The riff raff have to go somewhere, there will always be those "have not" areas.
For sure, Somerville had proximity to Cambridge and some good universities to its credit. Revere doesn't have that, or proximity to any sort of desirable town where people might be getting priced out. That's not insignificant.

Places like Salem and Beverly in theory have the tolls-into-Boston issue but they've seemingly still gentrified to a significant degree.

Still, though, if I had to bet on an "inner ring" north shore town to make the leap it would be Revere. Not...

Winthrop (too isolated, limited stock, bad transpo)
Everett (just...no. Encore has been a definite drag)
Chelsea (it's tried...too gritty...limited waterside property)

Old 12-27-2020, 02:20 PM

Yes. I have no idea what happened to basketball camp girl but the ex girlfriend was a bad person. She was actually a stalker.

I worked with a guy who was living in revere. He was from El Salvador originally.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
People I know from Revere fall into one of two categories. The first are born and raised, never left and wouldn't even dare move to Everett or Winthrop. The latter moved away, and will not EVER AGAIN associate with the place. Those latter folk honestly seem a little more sane...
Ha, yes, I totally get that! That could also be said about a lot of Mass. towns.

I have a connection to Beverly by marriage and you could 100% say that about Beverly's people.

And the ones that stayed their entire lives are pizzing and moaning about stuff like the upscaling of Rantoul street and the proliferation of new apartments. Rantoul Street was historically a dump (not necessarily in a bad way LOL) and neighborhoods like Ryalside weren't exactly anything to brag about.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:22 PM

Somerville gentrified because of the close proximity to Cambridge and Boston. It’s close to many colleges and already had bars and restaurants. I don’t see revere being the next Somerville. People also thought Quincy was going to be the new Cambridge. Still waiting for that to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts