Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 08:33 AM

5 posts, read 4,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
You're right about the water temps, but even in the best Mass locations, the ocean isn't warm, and these guys are coming from Southern NH. They can be on Plum Island in about 30 minutes or Gloucester in maybe 1hr15. The Cape may take them close to 4 hours on a summer weekend.
Water temp isn't a huge concern since most kids seem immune to the cold water anyways! So a few degrees won't make a huge difference. What does concern me is areas that are flood prone/experiencing erosion. Obviously, that comes with the territory of a beach home, but I know some areas are worse than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 08:41 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
I'll put in a plug for South Dartmouth.

Advantage #1: The water is warmer. It usually hits 68F by mid-June.

Advantage #2: It's really good sailing. The most reliable wind on the East Coast. Lots of places to go for a day trip or a weekend.

Advantage #3: Fast ferries to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket a few miles away for day trips. Also, a Cuttyhunk ferry.

Advantage #4: Much lower real estate prices than anything commutable to Boston unless you're buying into one of the gated summer communities.

Advantage #5: You always have the option to loop around on I-495 for a Friday afternoon drive. I've worked in Salem, Windham, Derry, Hudson, and Portsmouth. Other than when I lived in Portsmouth, I always kept a boat in Padanaram Harbor. It's a fairly deterministic drive. The choke point south of Boston is the four miles of 2-lane Route 24 just south of I-495. They're just completing the Route 44 interchange. The Route 140 interchange is next. The road will be widened eventually.

The Massachusetts South Coast has four suburban towns with lots of summer owners. Westport around Westport Point, South Dartmouth, Mattapoisett, and Marion. Be aware that New Bedford and Fall River are failed cities where you see Lawrence/Lowell-level of blight. Your dining is likely going to put you in downtown New Bedford. The waterfront and half-dozen blocks up the hill from the waterfront are gentrified and safe for tourists but it's a city so you don't leave anything valuable in your car.

My house is in the fringe of Padanaram Village. My boat for the power boat slip is 0.7 miles. The private beach where we own a share is 1.0 miles. Prices in my neighborhood are in the $300/sf range depending on condition. An 1800 sf 1977 build cape on my street on 1/4 acre with immaculate landscaping and a large detached barn/garage just transacted for $592k. The estate had installed a new kitchen but a crew was in the house for a month after the sale upgrading elsewhere. If you want to buy into a gated summer community, the price at least doubles.

The private beach we belong to is shielded from the prevailing southwest breeze so it's very kid-friendly. Pier. A couple of rafts. Bath house with seasonal lockers, a couple of toilets, and a couple of cold water showers. It's a $1,000 initiation fee. $540 for an annual membership. If you buy a share after being a member for a year, it shaves $180 off the yearly fee.

https://anthonybeachassociation.com/

The town beach at Round Hill requires a town resident or property owner sticker. It's a ~1 mile beach with restrooms and showers. Here's a shot of it I took from the boat.

The Yacht Club has an active junior program and sailing school. The boating is way better than North Shore or South Shore. My default day sail has always been Cuttyhunk. Drop the anchor. Row to the dinghy dock. Walk around the island.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts