Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 09:43 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A few retiree comments:

Massachusetts has a nonprofit Council on Aging. All towns participate. My town funds a senior center, community nurses, and social workers. They have elder daycare that I presume is mostly people with dementia. I believe the state subsidizes those services in the lower tax base towns. So if you're looking for elder services, there is typically a Council on Aging link on the town website that will show you all the resources.

For yucks, I searched for the one in Northampton. My town seems to have more services but it may be that the web information for Northampton is incomplete or they pulled things down during COVID-19.

https://www.northamptonma.gov/716/Council-on-Aging

I also see this page:
Senior Services | Northampton, MA - Official Website
There is a senior center in Northampton. There is also a van transport in town for seniors. I don't have more details, but this is the link to the "Senior Services" page on the Northampton town site.

ETA: Oops, I see that you already found that ^, I'm reply happy, heh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 01:40 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
There is a senior center in Northampton. There is also a van transport in town for seniors. I don't have more details, but this is the link to the "Senior Services" page on the Northampton town site.

ETA: Oops, I see that you already found that ^, I'm reply happy, heh.

Researching towns, I'd call their council on aging and ask what services they have. My town has a bunch of things like community nursing and social work. I don't know for certain if that's something all towns offer.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:37 PM

63 posts, read 67,367 times
I'm taking a drive to look at this complex. thoughts welcome https://www.thetrailshopkinton.com/

Old 03-12-2021, 08:52 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
I just heard about this organization in Northampton: Northampton Neighbors. They also have a Facebook page. Apparently it is an organization set up to assist people aging in place in Northampton.

Here is their "About Us":

"Northampton Neighbors is an "aging in place" community centered in Northampton, Massachusetts. We are a non-profit coordinating access to support services and social programs assisting seniors who want to live independent, engaged lives at home.

Atul Gawande’s book Being Mortal was the catalyst for the creation of Northampton Neighbors. After reading his book, two separate groups began to explore the possibility of creating a village like the ones Gawande discussed. In February 2016 the two groups joined forces. Organizing efforts then took off.

As a first step, Northampton Neighbors joined the Village to Village Network and talked to many other villages around the country, who kindly shared their expertise and experiences. Wellesley Neighbors generously agreed to serve as a mentor village and continues to provide helpful answers to many questions. One member attended a meeting of all Massachusetts villages in June 2016 and came home with many additional useful resources.

By the end of 2017 Northampton Neighbors had registered as a nonprofit corporation, formed a Board of Directors, developed a mission statement and bylaws, created a logo and brochure, set up a website, and received 501(c)(3) (non-profit) status, and had set up a training program for our member-volunteers. We began providing services to our members in November, 2017. Unlike many other villages, we do not charge a membership fee. Rather we rely on donations from our members, support from local businesses, and donations from non-members.

We have added new Board members, formed relationships with strategic partners, sought and received grants, established member interest groups, and launched other programs. As of October 2020 we have more than 900 members and 100 trained volunteers."

Old 03-12-2021, 12:26 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
I might suggest you consider looking toward the SE Massachusetts area if work and commuting is not an issue. Home prices are lower and the area has milder weather by New England standards with less snow. It is close to the Cape and not all that far from either Boston or Providence.

Old 03-13-2021, 02:42 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmed1 View Post
I'm taking a drive to look at this complex. thoughts welcome https://www.thetrailshopkinton.com/
New forum topic?

Old 03-22-2021, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 624 times
I like this new topic.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:49 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmed1 View Post
My son and his wife are looking at places in that area. I will pass this info on. Having lived in HOA's like that I suggest you ask a few questions:
1. Is there an HOA? If yes, its fees and what does one get for the fees?
2. How is landscaping handled?
3. How is one wanting to make changes to the exterior of their unit handled?
4. What can one do to their backyard, assuming one has a backyard?
5. Last but not least, prices?

Keep me informed so I can pass the info on.

Old 03-23-2021, 03:59 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My son and his wife are looking at places in that area. I will pass this info on. Having lived in HOA's like that I suggest you ask a few questions:
1. Is there an HOA? If yes, its fees and what does one get for the fees?
2. How is landscaping handled?
3. How is one wanting to make changes to the exterior of their unit handled?
4. What can one do to their backyard, assuming one has a backyard?
5. Last but not least, prices?

Keep me informed so I can pass the info on.
It's all right here: https://www.thetrailshopkinton.com/faqs

Old 03-23-2021, 08:21 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,064,231 times
Unfortunately $350K won’t get you much anywhere in MA unless you’re OK with opioid zombies outnumbering the living, especially if you’re looking for 1800+ sqft. Why not move to Asheville instead if you want nature, mountains, hippies and an occasional snowfall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts