Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 04:19 PM

4 posts, read 5,243 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are looking to buy in Needham/Westwood and are considering properties that might require renovations. We're wondering if anyone has insight into timelines for working with contractors. I've read a lot of articles about how materials may be harder to get and contractors schedules are very busy, and building permits can get delayed.

We likely won't have time to bring in a contractor before making an offer, so we're trying to get an idea of what to expect before entering into the P&S.

I'm not asking about quotes/prices, but wondering about how easily we would be able to have this work done relatively quickly. We'd love to have it done before moving in July.

Specifically, we're thinking about a moderate kitchen renovation (replacing small gas stovetop embedded in quartz with a full oven/stove combo). Also, adding a second floor addition in a cape that has already been framed, studded, and stubbed (900 sq ft level, adding 2 BR 2 BA).

Thanks and let me know if any additional info would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 09:10 PM

604 posts, read 564,001 times
4 months is an extremely optimistic timeline for that job even in 2019. Contractors and trade persons in general are next to impossible to find right now. So I really doubt you’ll have it ready in July.

Old 03-06-2021, 04:10 AM

880 posts, read 822,403 times
Curious, what do you "think" the quotes will be?

You might be in for a severe shock.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:40 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,054,284 times
Replacing a few appliances is pretty easy. Usually the install team from the appliance store can take care of that for you although if it's gas they may ask you to have your own plumber there at the install to do the actual gas hook up.

Finishing the second floor space is clearly the much larger project and the biggest hurdle for you will be finding someone who can start right away. Many contractors are so booked they wouldn't even be able to start for several months. Once they start how long they will take will depend upon who you hire. Some contractors take on fewer jobs at a time and show up everyday to work on their active projects. Other contractors will overload themselves with projects and show up a few days a week at each project. Obviously, the guy who tries to bite off more will take longer to complete the project.

At least here in Needham, permitting is not an issue right now. The building department is open by appointment and the inspectors are out there inspecting as they always are. So unless you're builder isn't familiar with the Needham inspectors and doesn't know what they're looking for then that shouldn't delay things. I would expect a project like this (finishing an existing space) might take a month or two. It's a pretty simple project as long as you're not talking about adding a bathroom in the space or something like that which would complicate it.

Your agent should be a great resource for contractors that will take great care of you and information like this. If not, then you're working with the wrong agent.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:50 AM

3,690 posts, read 7,443,792 times
The kitchen updates you can probably get done fairly quickly, if you close in April, you may be able to get the work done by July - if the new appliances are not backordered.

Finishing the upstairs is a much bigger job and you are unlikely to find a good contractor that has immediate availability. I would not be surprised if it took you at least a year to get that work completed.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:54 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,054,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
The kitchen updates you can probably get done fairly quickly, if you close in April, you may be able to get the work done by July - if the new appliances are not backordered.
An excellent point. I'm hearing about a lot of appliance shortages mostly it's refrigerators/freezers and sometimes dishwashers and laundry machines. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some ranges and ovens that were hard to get right now as well.

Basically . . . I wouldn't expect to get anything done fast right now. If you're buying a house make sure you can live with it for the most part the way it is for up to a year.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:59 AM

875 posts, read 666,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamminSalmon View Post
Specifically, we're thinking about a moderate kitchen renovation (replacing small gas stovetop embedded in quartz with a full oven/stove combo).

Also, adding a second floor addition in a cape that has already been framed, studded, and stubbed (900 sq ft level, adding 2 BR 2 BA).
The kitchen job sounds straight forward - remove the existing stove, cut back the quartz, remove base cabinet, slide in the new combo stove/oven. Too small a job for GCs so either piggy back it onto the bigger job, or if you wanted it sooner, your agent could refer a local skilled handyman and have a plumber hook up the gas.

I'm not sure what your larger job entails. Does the extension already exist, plumbed etc. and you are just finishing it? - or are you doing the full extension starting with plans/design etc.? For the latter, you would be extremely lucky to even start the job in July.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:50 AM

15,807 posts, read 20,568,705 times
I know someone who started a kitchen project in Feb 2020, and it's still not done yet.

Specifics aside, covid created huge hurdles in getting contractors in the house, getting materials, work stoppages when one of the workers tests positive for covid and they have the all quarantine/test plus the fact that every bump in work due to a delay goes up against everyone elses schedule so it takes a month or so to get back on track.

But yeah...simple kitchen reno is at 12 mos and counting.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:14 AM

24 posts, read 25,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I know someone who started a kitchen project in Feb 2020, and it's still not done yet.

Specifics aside, covid created huge hurdles in getting contractors in the house, getting materials, work stoppages when one of the workers tests positive for covid and they have the all quarantine/test plus the fact that every bump in work due to a delay goes up against everyone elses schedule so it takes a month or so to get back on track.

But yeah...simple kitchen reno is at 12 mos and counting.

That's insane, what town was that in??

Old 03-06-2021, 02:15 PM

15,807 posts, read 20,568,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expo25 View Post
That's insane, what town was that in??

Danvers.

They literally started the week before the big shut down last March. A year ago this week actually? Kitchen got gutted, and then everything went to hell. So a few months were wasted just on waiting until people started venturing out. I actually think they are mostly done but waiting on appliances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts