Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:09 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times

Advertisements

I have driven by a few houses for rent in Bedford and Concord just today. Here is an ad that is in Craigslist today:
May 23 - $1650 / 2br - Concord 2Br, 1-1/2 Ba Townhouse, 1800sf, 3 levels, balcony - (broken link)[SIZE=-1] (Concord)[/SIZE]

Last edited by puffle; 05-27-2008 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 08:56 AM

32 posts, read 125,837 times
Yeah, the main commercial area in Acton is along route 2A (which is actually very accessible from west Concord, FWIW). There are restaurants, the best and largest liquor store around, a variety of different stores in various plazas, a couple car dealerships... so on and so forth. There is also shopping in West Acton and South Acton, but 2A has the most variety.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:59 PM

22 posts, read 59,615 times
Sounds like Bedford would be a match for you--old, suburban, shopping (with a backdoor to the Burlington Mall!), good schools, and even public transportation (but none to Concord); a quiet commute to Concord. Acton is somewhat spread out commercially, and you would have to navigate route 2 which is not very fun. BTW, Acton was where the rednecks lived when I was growing up. Acton does still have a bowling alley which Bedford and Concord lost in the eighties. Lincoln, forget it. It's a dry town, BTW. I grew up there, and I loved it dearly--the woods. It has since priced me down to Kentucky where I now live. Do not overlook Westford, or even Chelmsford or Billerica.

If I were you, and I'm not, I'd forget the shopping thing and move to Lunenburg, or better yet, Athol/Orange.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:13 PM

16 posts, read 54,556 times
Default Congratulations

Good for you Spindletop, it's always exciting to begin a new chapter in life.

Judging by most of the replies, you are likely to search the Acton, West Concord area initially, both lovely communities with plenty of amenities. I also understand that you may want to rent initially, yet you have also expressed reservations about doing that.

What you may want to do is consider casting a bit wider net, as many folks from those towns have done in order to maximize their dollar.

If your job is in Concord and you reconsider your willingness to commute, then you may find there are many opportunities a bit further west twenty five minutes down route two in Leominster. There are many advantages for you to think about.

Number 1; you have expressed @$350k as your comfort range which will buy you at least three very nice and comfortable Leominster homes in wonderful west side neighborhoods.

Number 2; There are plenty of amenities throughout the city, namely shopping, recreation, public transportation and accessiblilty.

Number 3; Leominster is a very well run municipality offering an excellent tax rate, low crime, curbside trash collection and city water and sewer in most residential areas.

Number 4; There is a particular area of the west side off of Granite Street where there are lots of young moms and one who is also home schooling three great kids!

Hopefully this will stimulate your interest enough to give Leominster due consideration.

As a native of West Concord who never imagined living in Leominster, the quality of life here is pleasantly surprising and improving every day which could equate to a very healthy and happy existence here for you and your family.

Best wishes to you, hope to see you around the neighborhood.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:40 PM

8 posts, read 26,735 times
My fear is that would be too far from Boston. My wife will likely want to take the train into town at least twice a week to do things with the kids (children's museum, etc.), and it looks like catching the train in from Leominster is almost a 90 minute trip each way.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:04 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
You're probably right. From West Concord to Porter Square you would need to transfer to the green line I think to get into Boston which would take about 30-45 minutes with several stops in between.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:40 PM

32 posts, read 131,360 times
Default Into Boston

Actually, the commuter rail through Acton and West Concord ends at North Station in Boston. From there, you can walk to a lot of places, or hop on the T (both Green and Orange lines). Check out MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System.

However, don't get caught up in thinking that Boston is the end all be all around here. While it is the Hub of the Universe , I'm sure your wife will find plenty of other great places to go to if you live farther out. You mention the children's museum. Well, Acton has the Discovery Museum, which is pretty similar quality-wise to the Children's Museum downtown, just sized more appropriately for the suburbs. And that whole section of the suburbs is oozing with history too.

And as far as "rednecks" living in Acton, yes, I would guess that you could say that some live in Acton, but could also say the same for most places that are not urban. But you also get the other side of the bell curve, in which you have super-educated people, and the rest of us in the middle. A good point to remember is that Acton's school system is consistently rated as one of the tops in the state.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:20 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
You can also take the commuter rail to Porter Square and get off in Cambridge at Porter or continue another stop to Harvard Sq., or take that line into Boston for the heart of downtown attractions, or another two stops to the Children's Museum and waterfront. The Red Line is a quick buzz from Porter to Park or South Station, no changes, very quick.
I personally think the commuter ride from Acton or W. Concord is not a big deal at all, especially if it's not five days a week at business hours (when it's crowded).
I would live in W. Concord in a minute if I could afford it, especially if I had kids.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:39 PM

22 posts, read 59,615 times
Default Rednecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwidy View Post
And as far as "rednecks" living in Acton, yes, I would guess that you could say that some live in Acton, but could also say the same for most places that are not urban. But you also get the other side of the bell curve, in which you have super-educated people, and the rest of us in the middle. A good point to remember is that Acton's school system is consistently rated as one of the tops in the state.
I think the 'Rednecks' sold their land and moved away long, long ago.

I find it's hard to picture a woman with her kids riding the T twice a week into Boston for children's activities; I suppose it's possible. We used to ride in once a year (on a Budliner) to see Santa Claus at Jordan Marsh (the real Santa was in Boston, not the Burlington Mall). That was plenty for my mother.

Acton is a full-blown suburb, albeit New England style, with strip malls galore. If you include the surrounding towns there is opportunity to learn and watch dance, art, music, history, and other stuff I don't know about. Then there are also, horses, boating, swimming (in a pond not a pool!), shooting, archery, biking, hiking, flying, bowling, fencing, and all the usual sports. We did all that growing up there.

Metro Boston really extents out to 495 and beyond. Any rural appearances are only a result of the fantastic wealth that allows the folk and the towns to keep it looking that way. Unless one is a college student, music or art student, sports fanatic, or works there, I wonder at anyone who ventures into the hub regularly; but then, I am one of the rednecks that moved away...

BTW, there's cool stuff in Worcester, and yes, Lowell too. Don't be proud or you'll miss out.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,290 times
Default I live in Bedford and I am from Virginia (Chesapeake)

I absolutely love the city of Boston.
However, I am not impressed with the people that populate this area.
They are NOT FRIENDLY, and some of the most selfish, self-absorbed and self-important people I have ever had the misfortune of knowing. I have lived here for over three years and not a single real person, let alone friend, have I met.
The public schools here in Bedford do not impress me.
They are well funded and in a safe and secure location which I will admit is a big plus, however, they bus in children on what is called the METCO program. That is to say, that inner city children from some of the most horrible, crime ridden areas in Boston attend these schools (Dorchester, Mattapan etc.). My daughter tells me drug use is all but out in the open at the high school. The teachers, though there have been a few gems, are often cold, uncaring and leave the school grounds at the sound of the final period bell. They rarely return email or phone messages. I think the quest for dollar bills far outweighs their desire to teach. My son has had one or two outstanding teachers over the past three years, and several of the most arrogant, judgemental and uncaring. The cost of housing in this area is ridiculous. I think the 300,000 range will get you a "fixer upper" in Bedford.
I don't think you will find anything at all in Concord for that price.
Maybe Sudbury or Natick might be better?
It's nice there, not sure if it's the same situation as Bedford though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts