Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 10:15 PM

17,739 posts, read 9,192,519 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 04:24 AM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
I wish him the best. Frankly, I’m surprised he hasn’t retired (years ago), but for some people, the work sustains them. He’s had a rough go of it over the last decade or so. I hope he can overcome this one too.

Old 10-03-2021, 04:54 PM

17,739 posts, read 9,192,519 times

Old 10-06-2021, 05:07 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
I did the 7 day trial of FUBO.tv to watch Liverpool-Manchester City last Sunday so I had NESN for 3:00 Sunday and ESPN for the wildcard game. Other than streaming one game early season on Amazon Prime, that’s been my Red Sox for the year. I’ve otherwise just looked at box scores and read game recaps. I watched the wildcard game with the volume off and the gamecast up on my iPhone. I can’t handle the flood of advertising.

UHD on a 65” OLED streaming ESPN sure dresses up Fenway Park. It’s not quite the impact of live at Fenway but the ballpark shows really well.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
UHD on a 65” OLED streaming ESPN sure dresses up Fenway Park. It’s not quite the impact of live at Fenway but the ballpark shows really well.
My living room TV has similar specs and I agree. The ESPN broadcast's audio is pretty impressive too. They definitely have higher quality mics and/or have more of them placed around the park. The crowd noise seems dialed up (closer to the experience of being in the park), and they also get the subtle things like the clear audio of the umpire calls, a few exchanges between the catcher and the batter, and more.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
My living room TV has similar specs and I agree. The ESPN broadcast's audio is pretty impressive too. They definitely have higher quality mics and/or have more of them placed around the park. The crowd noise seems dialed up (closer to the experience of being in the park), and they also get the subtle things like the clear audio of the umpire calls, a few exchanges between the catcher and the batter, and more.

Of course, the down side is watching a UHD at bat of Rafael Devers with a mouth full of gum and sunflower seeds.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:59 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Of course, the down side is watching a UHD at bat of Rafael Devers with a mouth full of gum and sunflower seeds.
Sounds preferable to having the buffoon in the seat behind you spill crappy beer on you while working himself up into a frothy fervor with a "Yankees suck" chant in the middle of the 5th.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Sounds preferable to having the buffoon in the seat behind you spill crappy beer on you while working himself up into a frothy fervor with a "Yankees suck" chant in the middle of the 5th.
I don't know which is worse... my fiancee said "ew, gross" each time Devers had an at-bat last night. And his at bats were long (full counts for at least 3, I believe).

I hate the "Yankees Suck!" chants (My second biggest Sox pet peeve next to Sweet Caroline when they're losing). I'd much rather see a more specific, targeted jeer of a pitcher or batter. These can have an effect on a player in that little park. I heard a brief "Geeeeh-riittt" chant when Cole was struggling to hit the strike zone with his fastball. The best was in the 2013 World Series when fans heckled Cardinals started Michael Wacha with full throated "Waaaaa-chaaah" chants during game 6. I'm sure it wasn't the reason they Sox were able to get to him (the first runs he gave up in the postseason), but it definitely doesn't help someone who is already under a lot of pressure. But nobody on the Yankees cares about "Yankees suck!" Especially when it erupts at a Sox-Twins game in April.

Old 10-06-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I don't know which is worse... my fiancee said "ew, gross" each time Devers had an at-bat last night. And his at bats were long (full counts for at least 3, I believe).

I hate the "Yankees Suck!" chants

It's hard to get too worked up over this version of the Yankees. They're a pretty flawed team. My issue in the dark years before 2004 was Yankees fans. I've spent a large slice of my live in 50/50 Sox/Yankees country. College in Burlington. Winters at Killington. I heard "1918" thousands of times. It's as bad as the fans after the 20 year Patriots run.

Old 10-06-2021, 10:56 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:

I hate the "Yankees Suck!" chants (My second biggest Sox pet peeve next to Sweet Caroline when they're losing). I'd much rather see a more specific, targeted jeer of a pitcher or batter. These can have an effect on a player in that little park. I heard a brief "Geeeeh-riittt" chant when Cole was struggling to hit the strike zone with his fastball. The best was in the 2013 World Series when fans heckled Cardinals started Michael Wacha with full throated "Waaaaa-chaaah" chants during game 6. I'm sure it wasn't the reason they Sox were able to get to him (the first runs he gave up in the postseason), but it definitely doesn't help someone who is already under a lot of pressure. But nobody on the Yankees cares about "Yankees suck!" Especially when it erupts at a Sox-Twins game in April.
Some players feed off that too. I remember a playoff game a few years back against the Astros where the fans were heckling Verlander hard as he came out, only to get to watch him promptly start mowing down batters in what amounted to a loss.

Bit less of a team/player specific peeve, but my personal #1 are the proposals on the big screen. They put their partner on the spot in front of tens of thousands of strangers, and it happens every game. They even happen at the same top of the same inning each game, so I'm pretty sure there's already a 'somebody gonna ask to propose today' slot baked into the intermission cadence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts