Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 11:11 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The ESPN broadcast's audio is pretty impressive too. They definitely have higher quality mics and/or have more of them placed around the park. The crowd noise seems dialed up (closer to the experience of being in the park), and they also get the subtle things like the clear audio of the umpire calls, a few exchanges between the catcher and the batter, and more.

If I was halfway in the next room, I would literally keep looking out the window thinking something was going on in the neighborhood (not realizing it was background noises of the game itself). Pretty impressive, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 11:49 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's hard to get too worked up over this version of the Yankees. They're a pretty flawed team. My issue in the dark years before 2004 was Yankees fans. I've spent a large slice of my live in 50/50 Sox/Yankees country. College in Burlington. Winters at Killington. I heard "1918" thousands of times. It's as bad as the fans after the 20 year Patriots run.
Absolutely. The ESPN promos were really trying to play up the rivalry and it's not the same as it was back in 04 and earlier years. The teams are not the two clear MLB powerhouses anymore - both were big underdogs (Sox still are) going into the playoffs rather than favorites to win the W.S. Plus there's not nearly as much bad blood among the fanbases. I remember the "1918" and "who's your daddy" chants - those days are long gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Some players feed off that too. I remember a playoff game a few years back against the Astros where the fans were heckling Verlander hard as he came out, only to get to watch him promptly start mowing down batters in what amounted to a loss.

Bit less of a team/player specific peeve, but my personal #1 are the proposals on the big screen. They put their partner on the spot in front of tens of thousands of strangers, and it happens every game. They even happen at the same top of the same inning each game, so I'm pretty sure there's already a 'somebody gonna ask to propose today' slot baked into the intermission cadence.
That's true. Mariano Rivera fed off of it too. As much as I hated the Yankees, I like and respected the heck out of him. He thrived on the jeers and heckles. He even smiled and tipped his cap as he got a mock standing ovation from the Fenway crowd in 2005 as the Sox received their series rings. Some players are wired to thrive on that.

The proposals are the worst. I'm surprised the team even allows that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If I was halfway in the next room, I would literally keep looking out the window thinking something was going on in the neighborhood (not realizing it was background noises of the game itself). Pretty impressive, to say the least.
Yeah, I looked out the window more than once (and I don't have a top tier sound system by any stretch). It's a big improvement over the NESN audio.

Old 10-06-2021, 06:13 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
The proposals require a donation of at least $250 to the Red Sox Foundation.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:30 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
The fee is a percentage. Fees can and often do get into the hundreds of dollars per seat.

EDIT: also, the line item I see it as is per order, not per seat, though more seats will be a higher service fee, so it's correlated.
Long post:

I've been checking Stubhub fees recently.

It seems fees for average or more expensive seats generally run about 25% to 30% or more -- per seat. Not per order.

But cheap $6 pre-season tix for many NBA and NHL games around in various cities, but sometimes the fee seems to range from 50% to 80%+ for the ultra cheap seats. But that's not bad, as one can still grab an interior seat in a compact arena, much closer to the action than at large ballpark or stadium, for $6 plus a $4-$6 fee for each ticket Cheaper than a movie or many fancier sandwiches and appetizers!

Celtics get in prices seem cheaper this year...many $15-$40 get in prices plus fees. Of course the attractive games start at $150 to almost $200 in Boston for the worst Celtics seats plus fees. Bruins get in prices are much higher in general, but don't ever approach $170-$200 for any game as a few Celtics games do.

Who knows, maybe tix other than get in prices are much higher for most Celtics seats than Bruins seats otherwise, but I'm not so sure. Of course the limited number of courtside seats are likely much more expensive than the best Bruins tix, but that's just a few hundred seats were talking about. Too lazy to check average or median prices, otherwise.

Opening night Celtics starts at $42 vs. $95 for Bruins, Friday night and Saturday night, respectively. Get in for Celtics pre-season tomorrow has been $6-$8. So, I can afford to actually treat a friend for once! But I realize many would never attend a game or concert unless they have the best seats, thus these get in prices are moot to them.

Tampa was down to $22 from $60 or so past couple of days around ten minutes before for gametime last night for game 1.

But often enough, prices do NOT drop drastically for events I follow on Stubhub -- and sometimes do increase at and after game time!

Old 10-08-2021, 07:51 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,322,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Long post:

I've been checking Stubhub fees recently.

It seems fees for average or more expensive seats generally run about 25% to 30% or more -- per seat. Not per order.

But cheap $6 pre-season tix for many NBA and NHL games around in various cities, but sometimes the fee seems to range from 50% to 80%+ for the ultra cheap seats. But that's not bad, as one can still grab an interior seat in a compact arena, much closer to the action than at large ballpark or stadium, for $6 plus a $4-$6 fee for each ticket Cheaper than a movie or many fancier sandwiches and appetizers!

Celtics get in prices seem cheaper this year...many $15-$40 get in prices plus fees. Of course the attractive games start at $150 to almost $200 in Boston for the worst Celtics seats plus fees. Bruins get in prices are much higher in general, but don't ever approach $170-$200 for any game as a few Celtics games do.

Who knows, maybe tix other than get in prices are much higher for most Celtics seats than Bruins seats otherwise, but I'm not so sure. Of course the limited number of courtside seats are likely much more expensive than the best Bruins tix, but that's just a few hundred seats were talking about. Too lazy to check average or median prices, otherwise.

Opening night Celtics starts at $42 vs. $95 for Bruins, Friday night and Saturday night, respectively. Get in for Celtics pre-season tomorrow has been $6-$8. So, I can afford to actually treat a friend for once! But I realize many would never attend a game or concert unless they have the best seats, thus these get in prices are moot to them.

Tampa was down to $22 from $60 or so past couple of days around ten minutes before for gametime last night for game 1.

But often enough, prices do NOT drop drastically for events I follow on Stubhub -- and sometimes do increase at and after game time!
The insult to injury is sellers also pay a 10% fee. For a $1000 ticket, the buyer would pay $250-300 in fees, plus the seller is paying another $100 in fees. Not a bad haul for StubHub.

Those seller fees often result in my losing money when selling Sox tickets, and why you won't see the prices drop too much -- if I'm already losing money on a ticket I'm trying to sell, there hits a critical point where I'd rather just eat the ticket (or show up for 2 innings and leave) than give it away. I offset the losses with a few key games/dates where I can get 2x or more of the face value.

TicketMaster isn't much better. They seem to also add about 25% to the ticket price for fees.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:04 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
https://twitter.com/MLBHRVideos/stat...41800073076736

Old 10-10-2021, 07:28 PM

Vazquez!!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/MLBHRVideos/stat...72711957827587

Old 10-11-2021, 08:45 PM

A beautiful thing.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:50 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times

Old 10-11-2021, 09:13 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,322,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
A beautiful thing.
If two ugly fielding errors handing us the game is beautiful, yes. Ugly wins are still wins.

And someone spilled beer on me again. Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts