Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 06:51 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times

Advertisements

Inventory everywhere is pretty much nonexistent, but you could get new construction in West Peabody for $1 million.

https://thebirchhillestates.com/

You have to leave early, but you can be to Kendall Square in well under an hour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 07:49 AM

64 posts, read 67,502 times
You won't find similar towns closer to Cambridge for $1MM. There's a reason why Andover/N.Andover are relatively accessible price-wise, despite being very nice towns. If the commute were 30 min, prices would double.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:28 AM

550 posts, read 680,716 times
How about Woburn, Burlington, Billerica, Acton??

Old 04-20-2021, 08:41 PM

100 posts, read 84,614 times
I am checking Woburn, Burlington, Billerica, Acton and will add Peabody to my list. Inventory is so low and the prices are outrageous. Maybe I shouldn't be any longer complaining about a commute! I worked so hard and saved to get a million-dollar house and now I realize that million is not so high for many :-(

Old 04-20-2021, 10:15 PM

349 posts, read 320,987 times
I'm less knowledgable than others, but Woburn and Burlington suburbs would get my vote. With the difficulty of transportation, I favor real estate close to the city center, but definitely understand if people want more space / cheaper price points. Sorry to hear about having to buy in the middle a pricing upswing : (

I am a broken record, but for the past 5 years I've been consistent that buying Boston real estate was a no-brainer outstanding value. Basically buy and you get paid to live there with price appreciation. Strong and diversified employer base, excellent education where human capital is critical, great 4 seasons weather. With the price increase the past year, I think the returns are somewhat less attractive but it's not too late. Boston represents a good long term value, and as you know is a wonderful area to live in. I'd much rather have my money invested in Boston real estate rather than cash right now.

Old 04-21-2021, 04:58 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic2020 View Post
I am checking Woburn, Burlington, Billerica, Acton and will add Peabody to my list. Inventory is so low and the prices are outrageous. Maybe I shouldn't be any longer complaining about a commute! I worked so hard and saved to get a million-dollar house and now I realize that million is not so high for many :-(
Among those choices, Burlington would represent the best compromise in terms of school quality and commute into Cambridge. The latter depends on where you live of course...if you can catch the MBTA 350 bus into Alewife, it's tolerable. I live in Woburn near the 350 line, and pre-pandemic was able to get to Kendall Square in 40 min.

Market is challenging for buyers right now. Even new condos in Woburn are approaching $1M.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:15 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
I'm in Burlington and agree with the above. The 350 bus to Alewife takes about 30 -50 minutes depending of the time of day. Schools are good and improving due to pressure from million dollar home buyers. Family friendly with lots of activities. Shopping and dining all located at one end of town. Drawback for some is the lack of the quintessential town center.

Right now, you can find older remodeled homes in the $7-900 range and current new builds for $1.5+. I think the latter pricing is wishful.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:16 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Sometimes I wonder how we get from one town to another.

How did this go from the OP telling us that they love North Andover, to recommendations for Woburn or West Peabody? Aside from all three being north of the city, not much else in common.

OP, if you like North Andover/Andover, consider North Reading/Reading/Lynnfield. Schools are good, and all three have plenty of the winding roads, more space, easy feel. And, better proximity to Cambridge than North Andover.

If you're not tied to suburbs due north of the city, then as someone else recommended, consider Acton/Burlington/Bedford to the NW.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:52 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Sometimes I wonder how we get from one town to another.

How did this go from the OP telling us that they love North Andover, to recommendations for Woburn or West Peabody?
The OP themselves indicated willingness to consider other towns (Woburn, Burlington, Acton, Billerica, Peabody) in recent followup posts, that's why.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:38 AM

914 posts, read 562,491 times
Woburn (mostly south of 128) is much better better logistically than Burlington (mostly north of 128). You want to be inside I-95/128. Each time you have to cross a major highway, you geometrically amplify potential traffic misery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts