Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 12:36 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,143,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
It gets frustrating when you're someone who wants a project done well the first time living in an association with someone who wants the cheapest job possible, even if it cuts corners or results in frequent repairs. Likewise, if you're someone who is just trying to get something back to code as cheaply as possible, dealing with people who have no problems paying 4x as much for a more thorough upgrade/renovation could be stressful.
This is a good generalized overview of the complaints I've heard/seen.

The other half consist of lazy/delinquent/spiteful management Co's and the realities of living in close quarters within a poorly sound insulated structure.

Still many positives to owning a condo, specifically if in a high COL area like Boston, but yeah ... I actually do value having only myself to blame when deferred maintenance causes later pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 03:08 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,127,911 times
What if the property is going to be a second home that is lived in 3-4 months out of the year? How do people keep an eye on it or maintain it when they're not there?

Old 05-10-2021, 03:53 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,323,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
What if the property is going to be a second home that is lived in 3-4 months out of the year? How do people keep an eye on it or maintain it when they're not there?
That's a slight edge to condos, if you know/trust someone else in the building. Don't have to sweat making sure someone's going in to check pipes or report a leak after a storm because others live there. When there are problems, they can report them back to you and decisions can be made based on that.

This is possible with a SFH too, but it's just easier when someone else is actually living in the same building rather than having to stop in and check things periodically.

In our current association, we and the other owner have a mailing and text list we're on. Can notify each other if we're not home about everything from packages showing up to cleaning crews to sending in someone to do major renovations. It's pretty convenient, really.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:22 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
there is a world of difference between a self-managed condo association of 2 to 4 units and a professionally managed complex. I'm not saying all management companies are great, of course there are some duds. But most are reasonably competent.

My question is more about their travel plans. If this is a second home, are they looking to be snowbirds and be there for 3 or 4 months in a row each summer? Or is would this be a month here and a month there, maybe once each season? They might be better off not buying and just getting an Airbnb for a month at a time. They'd be able to stay closer to or even in Westwood and not have to worry about the distance it takes to get to someplace with a little more affordable real estate

Old 05-10-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
there is a world of difference between a self-managed condo association of 2 to 4 units and a professionally managed complex. I'm not saying all management companies are great, of course there are some duds. But most are reasonably competent.

My question is more about their travel plans. If this is a second home, are they looking to be snowbirds and be there for 3 or 4 months in a row each summer? Or is would this be a month here and a month there, maybe once each season? They might be better off not buying and just getting an Airbnb for a month at a time. They'd be able to stay closer to or even in Westwood and not have to worry about the distance it takes to get to someplace with a little more affordable real estate
This is interesting as I've had the exact opposite experience. Self-managed HOAs with 2-4 are the ideal to work with whereas the professionally managed are like getting teeth pulled. I dealt with a professionally managed once where even getting the common utility bills (water, sewer, trash) was an exercise in babysitting the company so as not to get late fees. Even then, we'd pay 3-4 late fees per year out of reserves for no other reason than the bills got lost in their bureaucracy. Probably not a good example, but I know they dealt with more than one building, charged higher HOA fees, and delivered pathetic service. We'd even often do their snow removal for them because they just couldn't be bothered until tickets and complaints started rolling in.

I'd actually slightly amend and say the ideal is a small self-managed (2-3) where all owners are also occupants (no landlords renting). Everyone in the building has skin in the game that way, and there's no tenant who just doesn't care because they're a renter and it's their landlord's problem (who in turn lives in another city/state/country).

Old 05-10-2021, 05:20 PM

23,594 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
This is interesting as I've had the exact opposite experience. Self-managed HOAs with 2-4 are the ideal to work with whereas the professionally managed are like getting teeth pulled. I dealt with a professionally managed once where even getting the common utility bills (water, sewer, trash) was an exercise in babysitting the company so as not to get late fees. Even then, we'd pay 3-4 late fees per year out of reserves for no other reason than the bills got lost in their bureaucracy. Probably not a good example, but I know they dealt with more than one building, charged higher HOA fees, and delivered pathetic service. We'd even often do their snow removal for them because they just couldn't be bothered until tickets and complaints started rolling in.

I'd actually slightly amend and say the ideal is a small self-managed (2-3) where all owners are also occupants (no landlords renting). Everyone in the building has skin in the game that way, and there's no tenant who just doesn't care because they're a renter and it's their landlord's problem (who in turn lives in another city/state/country).

You just had a bad company. Many are not. I personally had good luck with mine, yet heard some horror about these "mini" self managed associations.

Old 05-10-2021, 05:28 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:

I've never experienced anything like utility bills not being paid on time, or not having a contract for snow removal, the management company itself didn't do it. (and I'm not saying it was perfect, sometimes the plow companies oversold themselves and someone had to be the squeaky wheel to get them to do our parking lot next)

But no, self-managed 2-4 units is not remotely ideal in my experience. You have to deal with people individually and come to an agreement, as opposed to having a professional company as a buffer, enacting decisions passed by the board. I never had to have a discussion with my fellow owners about projects that had to be done. The management company got multiple bids, the bids were presented to the board, the board voted, the management company hired the winning company and that was that. And yes, there was a small increase to cover the management fee but in terms of the overall budget, it was small. Maybe $10 per month for each unit. And so well worth it, with someone on call 24/7. And for unpleasant situations like someone delinquent on their dues, having a third party instead of a neighbor having that conversation was infinitely more pleasant.

Old 05-10-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I've never experienced anything like utility bills not being paid on time, or not having a contract for snow removal, the management company itself didn't do it. (and I'm not saying it was perfect, sometimes the plow companies oversold themselves and someone had to be the squeaky wheel to get them to do our parking lot next)

But no, self-managed 2-4 units is not remotely ideal in my experience. You have to deal with people individually and come to an agreement, as opposed to having a professional company as a buffer, enacting decisions passed by the board. I never had to have a discussion with my fellow owners about projects that had to be done. The management company got multiple bids, the bids were presented to the board, the board voted, the management company hired the winning company and that was that. And yes, there was a small increase to cover the management fee but in terms of the overall budget, it was small. Maybe $10 per month for each unit. And so well worth it, with someone on call 24/7. And for unpleasant situations like someone delinquent on their dues, having a third party instead of a neighbor having that conversation was infinitely more pleasant.
Maybe I've just had a run of good luck with self-managed. Always been agreeable and quick to resolve things.

Of those of you who have had bad HOA experiences in a condo, what size buildings are we talking about here? That may be the difference in our experiences. Your comment about plowing a parking lot made me think this as I've never had to deal with parking snow removal (spaces are either deeded to individuals or are in a parking garage).

Old 05-24-2021, 07:41 PM

3,627 posts, read 1,855,367 times
Having previously owned and lived in a condo, here's my quick list of the pros and cons for the condo. The complex was what I'd consider small-mid sized at around 50 units. Cons first since that list is longer!

Cons
*Lack of privacy or extreme lack of privacy (think soundproofing between units or even the physical space between the buildings....your windows facing your neighbor's windows in the building across the way....wear something nice!)
*to expand upon the above point, do you really enjoy people walking by your windows on a regular basis? (if ground level or townhouse style)
*Condo Fees (usually go up, never heard of them going down...look at some listings and depending on the amenities or age of the development they can range from ~$100/month up to $1000+ a month)
*your deeded parking space may not be close to your entrance (do you really want to lug groceries or rely on instacart every week?)

*parking spaces may be packed in so tight together that you'll want to gently remind your neighbor to be careful when opening their car door so they don't ding your car
*that car you wanted to wash and buff yourself, there may not be a hose/water hookup near your parking spot or area to do that

*do you want to deal with your neighbor and/or their insurance co. and possibly the HOA when their water heater leaks and seeps into the basement of your unit, or if you have someone living above you and their toilet overflows and ruins your ceiling? or how about that condo complex fire in Franklin, MA on the news today (was it improper disposal of a neighbor's smoking materials, illegal drug lab, oven fire?) yeah you're now homeless for awhile because of it

*in complexes that allow pets, do you want to be stepping in chihuahua doo that your lazy neighbor doesn't pick up?

Pros
*no lawn care, shoveling or trash removal to worry about in most cases

Old 05-24-2021, 08:06 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,913,605 times
Stay away from one of those 1800s triple decker turned condo situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts