Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 08:28 AM

16,430 posts, read 8,233,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And yet this is exactly what bridal showers (and their announcements), wedding rings, wedding announcements in papers, saying someone is on a honeymoon instead of just on vacation, switching from Miss to Mrs. did. So yes, straight cis-gendered people did and still do that. It's was just the norm, so people don't notice.

Just like so called "cancel culture" has been going on for longer than I have been alive, prolifically. It's just an issue when it impacts new groups, especially groups in power.
A bridal shower is an opportunity to get gifts and yes perhaps make a big deal of yourself. It isn't an announcement on the radio or to a group of high schoolers. And gay people do all those things too in terms of bridal showers, receptions, rings etc. Your comparison doesn't make sense.

I think what people are annoyed about is the announcement of this from celebrities. If a family member of friend reached out to me to let me know they were non binary I'd think of it as them wanting to let me know since I'm a person in their life.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:31 AM

448 posts, read 282,707 times
I love the mats - but I digress.

Matty isnt as shock jock as opie or howard stern, but his shtick is to be a dick sometimes. This time he was, and he got called out on it, so he took his ball and made a stink - Id guess for news, or people (like us) to talk about it.

Hes back, sure. Hes a staple with kiss 108. He wont go anywhere.

I assumed he would say 'sorry' and come back, but the owners said 'sorry, come back', so he does.

Talking point, to make the show relevant. It worked.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:38 AM

TBH I hadnt heard the name matty in the morning in a loooong time. Maybe he wanted some attention too!

Old 05-20-2021, 08:39 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
A bridal shower is an opportunity to get gifts and yes perhaps make a big deal of yourself. It isn't an announcement on the radio or to a group of high schoolers. And gay people do all those things too in terms of bridal showers, receptions, rings etc. Your comparison doesn't make sense.

They DO NOW. They didn't. They couldn't. In the past. Good freaking God. And an announcement in a newspaper isn't advertising it to the world? Of course it is. Putting a ring on is an announcement to the world. Changing from Miss to Mrs is an announcement to society. Thanks for missing the point, yet again. Think about what you wrote:

Quote:
Reminds me of when I was in high school and teacher felt the need to have a meeting/presentation with the entire school to let everyone know she is gay and has a girlfriend. At the time I suppose there wasn't a whole lot of talk about being gay particularly in high schools. However a lot of parents wondered why there was a need for her to get up and announce her sexuality. I recall someone saying, I mean would I ever get up and say hi everyone I am a straight women, I am married and this is my husband. No.

If that same person announced that she is getting married and going on a weak long honeymoon, not a single damn parent among those you mentioned would have batted an eyelash or questioned a thing. THAT is why what that teacher did is crucial.

Quote:
I think what people are annoyed about is the announcement of this from celebrities. If a family member of friend reached out to me to let me know they were non binary I'd think of it as them wanting to let me know since I'm a person in their life.

Don't pay attention to celebrity whatever. "Issue" solved.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:44 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Quote:
Well he didn't quit...he's back today.

I wonder what was said behind closed doors and what his contractual obligations are?

Old 05-20-2021, 08:50 AM

When I got married to a man i didnt give a damn what anyone thought. I got married because I wanted to. I had no announcement in the paper (i mean who does these days unless it's some show off wanting to be in the NYT?)

This is a completely different issue. Telling people you are Non Binary or gay is NOT like getting married. Are you suggesting we should have showers for people who decided to be non binary or transgender? If someone wants to do that go ahead by all means but yes that does seem odd. The point of showers (for anyone) is simply to get gifts and have a party, get help getting started in life. that's about it. We dont have parties for single straight people either. Is it unfair to people who never get married? Maybe.

People decide to things every day for themselves...not all of those things are celebrated. For whatever reason getting married, having a baby, graduations, birthdays, retirements are things that are celebrated and people have parties for.

Im not saying some people don't get obnoxious about weddings, showers, and all that. I see people having gender reveal parties for babies AND baby showers and something about that seems very selfish. I'm also over the people who have an engagement party, bach party, shower and wedding. I personally can't imagine feeling that excited for someone to attend all those parties. Too much.

Again none of this has anything to do with a celebrity or anyone announcing on social media or on the radio that they are non binary. If they get married great...but why does everyone need to know their gender status? It's just not something to celebrate for most people. If my child announced to me that they were transgender or non binary should i throw them a party?

Old 05-20-2021, 08:56 AM

God. You really don't get it. The teacher announced they were gay and getting married in part to put a face on it. To help normalize it.

It's the same with trans and non-binary individuals. "We are here. We exist," and to help bring people out of the shadows.

I have no idea who the person mentioned is, and I don't care. But people who bravely come out and send a message to the youth of today, and future generations, that is ok to be trans. It is ok to be nonbinary. You don't have to hide it.

The number of adults I've met that have said something akin to: "I wish I knew this was an option when I was a teen" is considerable.

If you want to throw a coming out party for your kid, if and when they do. Great. Plenty of people have. People DO have parties for these things. They're fabulous.

If you don't want to announce anything or have a party for anything, your choice.

If you don't care about other people's gender identity announcements, don't pay attention. Simple.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:11 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,344,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If you don't care about other people's gender identity announcements, don't pay attention. Simple.
So you think it's totally normal to make your gender reveal on the pilot of your new podcast? Nothing to do with seeking some media exposure?

Old 05-20-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
So you think it's totally normal to make your gender reveal on the pilot of your new podcast? Nothing to do with seeking some media exposure?

I don't know who this person is and never listened to their podcast. So I don't care about it. What they do is their business. If you want to pay attention to it, go ahead.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:23 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,931,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
It depends on the type of podcast. I think it would be a weird start to a podcast on the next-level MLB stats or on the history of the Prussian Empire, but for a podcast centered around a celebrity's life it would make sense.

And yes, it probably is about media exposure. And it worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts