Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 05:01 PM

40 posts, read 200,333 times

Advertisements

I'm considering taking a job in Waltham and we'd like to live in town to have a short commute. We are in a our mid 30s and have a four year old daughter. I'd like to know both positives and negatives re Waltham. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 06:49 PM

93 posts, read 404,814 times
Default Waltham

Hi,
Waltham has a lot of shops/restaurants/Costco/Home Depot and also has easy public transportation access to Boston via the train or bus. Rents there are reasonable. From Waltham, it is also easy to drive places, since you are right on the Mass Pike, 128/95, and near Route 9. So, overall, Waltham's considered a convenient place to live. Waltham's also next to Watertown, where Russo's, one of the best produce markets in the area, is located.

The public school system there, from what I understand, is ok but not spectacular.

If money were no object and public schools were of paramount importance, then towns within a 20 minute drive to Waltham with excellent schools would include: Newton, Lexington, and Needham.

Good luck!

Old 05-12-2008, 08:15 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
Arlington--specifically, Arlington Heights. I've lived her for over 6 years: great town, safe, decent schools, nice mix of people, super-close to Waltham.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:50 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Depending on where in Waltham you'll be working, Belmont could also be a very short commute. It's expensive to buy in Belmont, but the rent is reasonable and the schools are good. Watertown also has reasonable rent, but the schools aren't as good as Belmont. In that it actually borders Waltham its closer than Needham and Arlington. Lexington and Newton also both border Waltham, as do Weston and Watertown.

We lived in Waltham for a year and found it nice enough, but I'm not picky and don't have kids. Some areas are very nice, especially near Bentley College (there are other areas that are nice, too, that's just the one I know about). Wherever you live in Waltham you'll have a very easy commute to anywhere else in Waltham--it's not really that big a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts