Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 08:02 AM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times

Advertisements

Heading to Saratoga this weekend for the races with my fiancee (a human, not a horse). Anyone been and have suggestions on what to do outside of the track?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 02:57 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
The downtown area is attractive. Other than horse related, there doesn't seem to be a lot of stuff. Not much in the surrounding towns.

I would ask this question in the Albany forum and see what suggestions they have.

Old 08-09-2021, 03:13 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Heading to Saratoga this weekend for the races with my fiancee (a human, not a horse). Anyone been and have suggestions on what to do outside of the track?
You're just south of the Adirondack Mountains, which have beautiful outdoor recreation opportunities - hiking, canoeing/kayaking, fishing, camping, etc. - nicer than the White Mtns, to my eyes.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:46 PM

Thanks! We are definitely there for the horse stuff (friends of ours have a horse that's racing), but I'm looking to get out of town/away from the track for a bit too. Maybe we can squeeze in a hike. We did Algonquin last summer and that was a beast - something smaller would be ideal for maybe Sunday afternoon.

I'll check Albany too. Thank you both!

Old 08-10-2021, 03:52 PM

Giant Mountain is closer to the road and about 500ft shorter in elevation than Algonquin. The trail is just off Rte 73 in St Hubert. It's still a stout climb and as I recall (from the good old days) there are some quite steep open sections of granite slabs that require good supportive ankle-high boots with sticky soles - or a fall could be disastrous. But if you're in good shape and have good boots, it's got great views and the open sections are a rush.

You could also just walk the trail along the East Branch of the Ausable River to Lower Ausable Lake. It's relatively flat and the clear little river and surrounding forest are very pretty and the narrow lake is gorgeous, set between steep mountains on either side. This trailhead is not far from the trailhead for Giant, just on the other side of Rte 73. If you're planning on this hike tho, I'd ring up the Ausable Club, because they've allowed free passage through their land for many decades, but it seems they were looking at some restrictions last year. I wouldn't write it off, but call to verify you can still make this hike.
See:
https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/s...its-are-coming

There are also some companies offering rafting on the Hudson River, which is very pretty up there, and from mild to wild. Here's a trip on the milder side...
https://www.hudsonraftingco.com/book...-gorge-ducky-1

Old 08-11-2021, 10:51 AM

^Thanks again for the suggestions. Giant Mountain looks ideal. We're working on the NH48 right now, but we do love the ADKs. The problem is that many of the high peaks tend to be much further from the road than we're used to in New England which makes for a much greater time commitment (Marcy was some 15 miles round trip and took us about 10 hours). Giant looks as if it's around 6. The elevation gain over a short distance will be tough on the legs I'm sure, but it shouldn't take up a ton of time and the payoff seems worth it. We'll be bringing the boots.

Old 08-11-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
^Thanks again for the suggestions. Giant Mountain looks ideal. We're working on the NH48 right now, but we do love the ADKs. The problem is that many of the high peaks tend to be much further from the road than we're used to in New England which makes for a much greater time commitment (Marcy was some 15 miles round trip and took us about 10 hours). Giant looks as if it's around 6. The elevation gain over a short distance will be tough on the legs I'm sure, but it shouldn't take up a ton of time and the payoff seems worth it. We'll be bringing the boots.
Yes, if you're going for e.g. Marcy, Haystack, etc - those are definitely best done with an overnight trip. My hiking and backpacking days are long behind me, but I too love the Adirondacks, and I very much enjoyed day-hiking Giant - hope you guys do too.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:32 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
I was hesitant to read this thread but even after 3 weeks it really has legs.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:44 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
I was hesitant to read this thread but even after 3 weeks it really has legs.
I guess it has only been 3 weeks. I was hesitant to click on it because I thought there was another incident somewhere else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts