Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 10:21 PM

23,674 posts, read 18,782,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I'm simply looking for consistency across the board.

We all should be. Then there is reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2021, 02:02 AM

15,427 posts, read 9,113,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
The problem is when you post your views online, its going to influence how other perceive you and how they assume you perceive them. Thats just reality.

Imagine being a confused 6th grader who sees online that their teacher thinks that transgender is a mental disorder/something else with a derogatory connotation. That is really going to impact how you interact with that teacher and how emotionally safe/unsafe you feel in that classroom.

Unfortunately, if you are a teacher, you should keep your views to your immediate circle. The potential negative repercussions far outweigh the potential positive ones.
I wonder how the conservatives who are up in arms over this teacher being fired would respond if this was a transgender minority teacher spewing out derogatory social media posts towards whites and heterosexuals. Would the conservatives come to the defense of that teacher? I don't think so. As a matter if fact, I'm sure they wouldn't. They would be leading the charge to get that teacher fired.

Which means that this outrage is just more of the partisan BS, that this country is drowning in.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:21 AM

560 posts, read 753,050 times
I'm not a big fan of people getting fired either way, but I can see why this person lost their job.

In your scenario above, that person should probably go too.

The morale here is, be self aware and keep your views to yourself. Contrary to your self important belief, people don't care what you think.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:25 AM

7,930 posts, read 7,831,350 times
It still goes back to technically what the policy is of the employer. I can sell you that within the City of Springfield there was somebody that showed a protest and unfortunately she was terminated because it was implied as if that she supported what was being said in the protest rather than simply reporting the news. There's quite a bit online that can be taken out of context. If you post song lyrics and some people take it to heart and think that you're literally saying these things you might be contacted because there's so many song lyrics that could be misconstrued to imply things like drug use and suicide.

You cannot simply just fire a municipal employee or School District employee. Government requires a form of a due process hearing and if that person is in my union then there are union regulations to go through. Technically speaking of former Town Administrator in West Springfield was fired twice in a month because they didn't follow open town meeting laws during his first termination hearing so they had to call him in for a second time that's how all this can be.

Curriculum obviously can't be open-ended it has to have some formulation on some level with a general approval by some board or committee. Third me there can be debates about what books can be a better suit at a given age level or given subject. Way back when when I was in 7th grade

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_F...e_Bamboo_Grove

Probably 15 years after I read it it came out that they were historical inaccuracies about this and I actually met the author.

Just like with Columbus Day Columbus did not really discover America, he wasn't exactly Italian since Italy didn't really exist unified until 1871 and it wasn't even called America until at least 15 years after he landed on it. He was paid by Queen Isabella who is not actually part of Spain was Casteel back then until his own dying day he still thought he landed on India. So why does it exist well because of the lynching of Italian Americans in New Orleans about a hundred twenty-five years ago the president wanted to come down Italians and the easiest thing was to take more the myth of Columbus and give it a holiday. There are much better Italians like DaVinci that the holiday could have been for but this was easier.

I say all this within the mindset that the teacher was actually arguing against its changing the subject that they actually teach. If it's not your subject then you really shouldn't complain about the teaching of it.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:27 AM

16,495 posts, read 8,281,655 times
Social media has created a lot of problems.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:36 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,077,582 times
But that's the problem - amplifying your own message while quite literally destroying those who disagree isn't just unfair, it's fascism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You are probably right, but life will never be fair. Hence why it's important for a professional to keep their own nose clean, and not worry about what limits "others are pushing".

Old 10-12-2021, 08:48 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,265,936 times
Good. When you are an educator, you represent the school, the town, etc. She clearly had a hateful ,racist and anti-LGTQIA agenda. She has no right being in a classroom, educating children. I don't see why her firing is so controversial. Karin needed to go. The fact that some people want a homophobic racist to teach their kids says a lot about their core values.

I find it interesting when conservatives play the victim with the "You're intolerant of my intolerance, so you're REALLY the intolerant one" BS. It's getting old.

Old 10-13-2021, 05:45 AM

7,930 posts, read 7,831,350 times
Right I get that but at the same point how far is that really going to go? How we defining a social media? Is City-Data this website considered social media? Why not? I mean if you're talkin major applications like Facebook and Google maybe even lump in an Amazon review okay but there's so many more websites and blogs that's makes it much harder to monitor everything. I'm a member of a group that gets involved in self-publishing and they recently announced that they're moving their Facebook group over the Discord because it's really hard to control news announcements.

The other thing is if we're going to start doing this that we might as well start going back all the way and start looking at things they're actually reported in things like newspapers and magazines before the internet. I've taken a fair amount of governmental classes and I found out that for housing reputations can be determined from just online and with Google they've got newspaper archives going back to 1970. So if somebody was involved in say a nasty protest against Vietnam Veterans as they came back that can be used against them if they need to have elderly housing in retirement. You don't get an "out" because it happened long ago.

There are some factors at play when you live in a given area. Obviously would things come up and it's also me yet it reaches the news and people start reacting but at the same point are they also looking at the number of sex offenders registry? long ago there was a push to make a drug offender registry but there was significant pushback from real estate agents. What I'm saying is that people do have a right to be concerned about things but at the same point they really do have to pay more attention to things on a more consistent basis.

Old 10-13-2021, 06:20 AM

16,495 posts, read 8,281,655 times
Given the labor shortage right now maybe people should stop getting fired over stupid things. People are not working maybe because having a job these days can be a major headache.

Old 10-13-2021, 07:39 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,077,582 times
Things will get back to normal once not paying rent gets you and your junk out the door and on the curb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Given the labor shortage right now maybe people should stop getting fired over stupid things. People are not working maybe because having a job these days can be a major headache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts